Author Topic: Really weird crashing/freezing/dementedness.  (Read 2538 times)

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
Really weird crashing/freezing/dementedness.
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »
  I spawn, take two steps and then it freezes. And just keeps switching between two frames. I can hear all the sound that happened between these frames as normal, it's not like a usuall crash where you end up with a really horrible sound. Then after a while I even heard the round end music and my mouse appeared. But I couldn't move the mouse and it just keeps switching between the 2 frames. It's proper wierd. -___-
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:05:15 pm by ToxicKilla »

Offline Juunasson

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Munin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: Nord_Munin
  • IRC nick: Munin
Re: Really weird crashing/freezing/dementedness.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:33:01 pm »
Yep, I have faced this problem few times already. At first I thought it was caused by a horrible lag spike, as I can hear others playing as normal, but my screen kept switching two frames to and fro. I had to exit game by shutting it down via task manager.

I would like to know what causes this, I have fairly new computer which runs this game with max settings without any problems. Are you using any mods beside cRPG? I use More Metallic Sounds + Calradia in Darkness.
The ravens flying from Odin's shoulders; Huginn seeking hanged men, and Muninn slain bodies

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 04:10:23 pm »
Yep, I have faced this problem few times already. At first I thought it was caused by a horrible lag spike, as I can hear others playing as normal, but my screen kept switching two frames to and fro. I had to exit game by shutting it down via task manager.

I would like to know what causes this, I have fairly new computer which runs this game with max settings without any problems. Are you using any mods beside cRPG? I use More Metallic Sounds + Calradia in Darkness.
Nope, no extra mods. Really good pc aswell. Never had problems before...

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:57:09 pm »
  I spawn, take two steps and then it freezes. And just keeps switching between two frames. I can hear all the sound that happened between these frames as normal, it's not like a usuall crash where you end up with a really horrible sound. Then after a while I even heard the round end music and my mouse appeared. But I couldn't move the mouse and it just keeps switching between the 2 frames. It's proper wierd. -___-

Exactly the same thing keeps happening to me while i play Vikingr so i came back to cRPG and so far it happened only once (for me it happens randomly during the fight tho, not right after the spawn) after the patch.... I have never had such issues before......
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:33:52 pm »
Yep, I crash this way (and classic crash) fairly often too.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »
Re-installed and it's fine now. Played a few rounds already and have been fine.

Offline Juunasson

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Munin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:45:43 pm »
So you have seen it in Vikingr too? And mods are not causing it... this seems to be a really random bug in multiplayer of M&B:WB. I guess one can play long time without problems - I haven't had that crash for days now, but when I got it, it's usually after I die. It lags really long, and it might "settle down" after a minute or two. When the next round starts, it happens again so it might be related to scenes where are lot of people spawning or where battling is going on - scenes that cause spikes in framerate, like beginning of the round, and death.

In brief, just an another form of crash.
The ravens flying from Odin's shoulders; Huginn seeking hanged men, and Muninn slain bodies

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »
This is a very common problem with memory-intensive mods like AD1257. It can happen too on MP. A simple workaround to continue playing until it happens again is alt-tabbing out and in.

Check your RAM usage, make sure the applications can have as much as they need. Simply reboot if you have started the game many times (weird, I know).

This is a thread that could help you with this problem :
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131274.0.html

This worked for me to play Floris mod pack, but cRPG lags too much with this fix so I changed back. I have only 2Gb RAM so maybe it will work for you.

Offline Moribund

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »
I had exactly this problem:

And this fixed it:

Re-installed and it's fine now. Played a few rounds already and have been fine.

On top of that, I can play with better video settings now.  :D

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »
Ugh, It's knackered again. Now it sometimes just crashes right away. I spawned, climbed a ladder started fighting and then it froze. Bollocks...

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:54:26 pm »
Just did a full re-install of Warband. Still does it, so it must be something to do with the patch that does not agree with my pc. :rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)
I dont think its anything to do with not being able to run the mod. I have quite a good rig with 4gb ram. Also I've played 1257 before and was fine. But I'll try some of those fixes anyhoo.

Edit:
Turning load textures on demand ON seems to have fixed it! :D Thanks for linking that Kafein.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:59:26 pm by ToxicKilla »

Offline Juunasson

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Munin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »
Turning load textures on demand ON seems to have fixed it
Well, I have had that option selected from the beginning and my game has been freezing after this new patch (I don't recall any similar problems before) at some point every time I play. Still, I hope it works for you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:39:16 pm by Juunasson »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 05:43:16 pm »
Just did a full re-install of Warband. Still does it, so it must be something to do with the patch that does not agree with my pc. :rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)
I dont think its anything to do with not being able to run the mod. I have quite a good rig with 4gb ram. Also I've played 1257 before and was fine. But I'll try some of those fixes anyhoo.

Edit:
Turning load textures on demand ON seems to have fixed it! :D Thanks for linking that Kafein.

No problem. If you have a 32b OS and 4gb ram, make sure to have the /USERVA and /3GB options in your boot.ini file (like described in the link provided). I don't think you need loading textures on demand with these parameters.

I also heard that forcing single threading seems (weirdly enough) to help some users.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »
This happens to me too :(

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 02:14:15 am »
this also happens to me, more commonly on the siege servers 5 and 6, and vikingr, don't experience it anywhere near as much on other servers if at all. load textures on demand seemed to make it more frequent for me, guess it because i only have 2gb of ram :/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:15:48 am by Senni__Ti »