Author Topic: Why nerf Heavy Throwing Axes? Tweak the stat change or go back to 3 ammo.  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
+1
People selling their HTA are being over dramatic. Just needs a 5 cut damage boost to make it more in line with Jarids and Throwing lances and it's fine.

I switched to +3 War Darts, and noticed a huge improvement over +3 HTA, which is not surprising since the darts have nearly 50% more damage per stack than HTA, and better accuracy/range.  I don't even miss the bonus vs shields, since with only 4 axes, it's not like I could waste any by throwing them at shields. I miss the melee mode of the axes, but with 2 slots free, I'm better off with a 1h axe+6 War Darts than I was with 4 HTAs (lower weight/upkeep too).

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
on paper something like war dart looks very efficient but you're missing the calculation of the opportunity cost that if you're gonna sit around throwing 12 weapons each round you're taking too much time out of melee (when 90% of your char point/skill distribution is melee dedicated), basically wasting your time.

4 ammo is honestly enough for a hybrid, when I carry 6 jarids I often have extra at end. I only usually use them up if there's a ton of skilled horsemen who need to be dropped at beginning, or Im blackbarred and withdraw from melee to throw instead. so 4 HTA is fine quantity, just need more of a damage boost cuz they are underpowered compared to the curve from jarid to lance.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
on paper something like war dart looks very efficient but you're missing the calculation of the opportunity cost that if you're gonna sit around throwing 12 weapons each round you're taking too much time out of melee (when 90% of your char point/skill distribution is melee dedicated), basically wasting your time.

4 ammo is honestly enough for a hybrid, when I carry 6 jarids I often have extra at end. I only usually use them up if there's a ton of skilled horsemen who need to be dropped at beginning, or Im blackbarred and withdraw from melee to throw instead. so 4 HTA is fine quantity, just need more of a damage boost cuz they are underpowered compared to the curve from jarid to lance.

Well, I only play siege, so throwing is for the early part of the round, then for runners the rest of the time. It's not like I could otherwise be meleeing while waiting for enemies to ascend ladders/siege ramp. Also, with the current valour system, 12 war darts at 1-2 pts per hit is better than 4 HTAs with 1-3 pts per hit.

If HTAs did like 55 cut, they'd be balanced again. Otherwise, everyone will just use Jarids.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
+1
This is an example of a retarded buff/nerf.

Jarids? 3 ammo.
Spears? 4
HTA? 2

+3 cut is the tradeoff? Revert the changes please, for doing things like this is better to do nothing that to ruin an item.

Offline Kampfkarotte

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: GK, Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: WARLORD, Kegorus
Actually, almost nobody uses HTA anymore which is a pity. The nerf made HTA useless compared to jarid and throwing spear, cause less ammo and cut instead of pierce.
Bring me 3 ammo 44 cut HTA back!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
The only thing good with HTA is the melee mode if you can manage a reach of 51 and effectively losing one axe for throwing. The melee mode of throwing lances is also way better and borderline broken even for a regular polearm, given the absurd speed.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
Actually, almost nobody uses HTA anymore which is a pity. The nerf made HTA useless compared to jarid and throwing spear, cause less ammo and cut instead of pierce.
Bring me 3 ammo 44 cut HTA back!

Thats just not true. Im leading a throwers clan together with farooq and antonio and almost every 2nd player is using them.

Besides - of course that nerf makes them worse than they were before - but they are not weak!
And yes - 8 Ammo isn't really much - BUT they still are balanced (For being a really good melee weapon compared to other throwing stuff + having a really good damage - also they are much more accurate on close range) 

Before the nerf they were just overpowered.

I'm using heavy throwing axes for 16 generations now. So i know them quite well. Thats why i was pissed first...even insulted the devs (for which i apologize) - but just give it a try and you'll see that they are still awesome - for that ofc. you need to actually hit someone - but if thats your problem in the first place, more ammo won't help ya ;).

And whats most important - Heavy throwing axes never were pure throwing weapons. Their strength lies in fast switching between ranged and melee mode and surprising enemies. Most ppl are just using them wrong - its like skilling 13 powerdraw and no wpf on a bow and then complaining about accuracy or using the heavy lance on foot only overheading :

It's nonsense.

Those axes always were and still are wonderful - yet hard to handle.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:57:09 pm by Finuad »
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Two words: Bad Accuracy
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
as i said - there not made for long range fights
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
It's so very bad accuracy.
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Yeah, the point of HTA is kinda to fight in melee with some backpeddling scrub then throw an axe in their face the moment they leave range.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Yeah, if I was a thrower/1h hybrid I'd pick one stack of heavy throwing axes for melee and 2 jarids to throw (with a shield). 1 extra shot could be worth it in close range.

Nevertheless, heavy throwing axes' accuracy is nowhere near the crappy accuracy of throwing spears. They are still usable in close range I think.

Actually coming to think of it, throwing weapons do not really have enough variety. Axes are indeed outclassed by jarids, throwing lances do not worth their low ammunition, throwing spears are so unreliable in accuracy that the extra ammo doesn't really bring anything, javelins are outclassed by jarids again. The only reliable options seem like jarids as top tier. I know darts and war darts can be useful too, but many players do not like them as it seems.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:49:47 pm by Ronin »

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
Yeah, if I was a thrower/1h hybrid I'd pick one stack of heavy throwing axes for melee and 2 jarids to throw (with a shield). 1 extra shot could be worth it in close range.

Nevertheless, heavy throwing axes' accuracy is nowhere near the crappy accuracy of throwing spears. They are still usable in close range I think.

Actually coming to think of it, throwing weapons do not really have enough variety. Axes are indeed outclassed by jarids, throwing lances do not worth their low ammunition, throwing spears are so unreliable in accuracy that the extra ammo doesn't really bring anything, javelins are outclassed by jarids again. The only reliable options seem like jarids as top tier. I know darts and war darts can be useful too, but many players do not like them as it seems.

It's better to stick to one type of throwing weapon.  First of all your repairs will be less over time because you will never have to repair more than one weapon.  On top of that, it's much better for slot management when you have to pick up a melee weapon to defend yourself.  Thirdly, no one wants to acquire two different heirlooms throwing items.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
HTA accuracy is partially compensated by the fact that it seems to have a larger hitbox than jarids so more forgiving on near misses.

Also as others have said it's really a short range weapon. Something for 5-15 yards. It's got a quick release and great melee mode so you don't get caught with your arm up. Whereas with a jarid you can actually try those 20-30 yard medium distance throws with some certainty.

Offline Kampfkarotte

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: GK, Kapikulu
  • Game nicks: WARLORD, Kegorus
Re: Why nerf Heavy Throwing Axes? Tweak the stat change or go back to 3 ammo.
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »
Unbelievable that a thrower defends a throwing axe nerf. I would be stupid if i prefered 8 ammo cut damage axes which have much slower missile speed instead of using 16 ammo pierce damage throwing spears which fly faster. Do you want to know what's OP? 2h. And I have no problem with it, but when they make throwing axes useless, I have.