Author Topic: Why nerf Heavy Throwing Axes? Tweak the stat change or go back to 3 ammo.  (Read 6336 times)

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
It seems like HTA are being balanced against throwing lances (which suck) instead of being balanced for actual existing gameplay.

Increasing the damage by three while decreasing the ammo from three to two is a huge net loss in overall damage.

Removing one axe from a stack of three is an even bigger nerf to net damage than taking away 1/3 of a melee weapon's damage value because you're also negating the opportunity for an attack from that player's spawn that map.

HTA should have stats that give it enough flexibility to be used either as backup or as main. HTA especially gets coolness points when used a 1h/throw switch weapon, with shield or without. Taking away ammo makes it even harder for the guys who are hybrids and already lose a slot to a shield, and as for main-capable throwing weapons it just makes the spears line even better than the axes line.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
+3
Yeah, I don't think this was called for.
I can kind of see what they are doing with the throwing axes...Francisca is more ammo less damage, throwing axe is middle, and H. Throwing axe is low ammo high damage.

In reality though, I don't think it made sense to do that.  It was already balanced in terms of needing more PT to use the difference axes.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
The throwingaxes made little sense before. I glad they made some changes. unsure if this move was the best, but its something.
Imo the new 1 ammo heavy throwing axe should get more dmg say 72 cut. higher difficulty ,slower speed and missilespeed and cost more. its harder to throw axes than a spear or lance. (I do not have any HTA looms :D). They would be real shieldbreakers.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
I don't mind the theme of trying to  make francisca, TA and HTA different but seems pretty harsh to drop the ammo by 1/3 while only boosting damage by a bit. Damage needs another decent boost I'd say to put it between Jarids & Throwing lances.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
+1
I'd give it a week to test them before making any harsh decisions.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
I also see the ammo reduction as a nerf. Maybe increase the length of them when used on melee, reduce the melee mode's cut damage to 30, and slow them down a bit. This way we'd have an amazing thrower/shielder hybrid weapon. 3 stacks of axes (5 ammo + 1spared for melee) and a shield. Low ammo, high throwing damage and decent melee capabilities. 

Ofc, the length increase on melee mode would require changes to the model itself  :rolleyes:

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
+9
And the nerf continues... cus they love nerfing throwers. cus theyre all 2h tiny-peened assholes.

Edit:
Fuck the devs

Edit:
I accept the punishment, since this game got completely boring for me.

Edit:
Its not bad after all...

Much hate,

Fin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:08:13 pm by Finuad »
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
+2
3 more cut for 1 less ammo is a kinda bad tradeoff  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Personally, I'm fine with fewer people using the HTA, it was already used by far too many people based upon the December usage statistics. The more important question that I'm interested in, is how does the HTA currently compare to the normal throwing axe, and the normal throwing axe compared to the Francisca.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Bash Brisecul

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+2
Yep, they made it so that now Dedicated Hv Axe thrower are only able to kill 2 people with their ammo instead of 3.

Kinda gimp compared to a full 1h/shield going focusfrenzy killing 10 dude.

At a time where Arbalester with 0 slot short sword are everywhere killing you from the other side of the map, this changes isn't welcome.

I understand this changes will make the Hv axe less standard and raise the usage of the other axes, but at least make them Hv axes 4 Ammo 2 slots, so in the end we can use a 0 slot too.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
+1
Just when I gave myself 4 PT to use em. Oh well I will still use them!

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
+3
I'd give it a week to test them before making any harsh decisions.

According to Fasader:
(click to show/hide)

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
+1
well tydeus we disagree about HTA, but to answer your question about the relation between all the axes, I can tell you that presently the francisca is overall best but only when you consider that due to its very low weight it hardly slows your run speed at all.
throwing axes don't do enough damage more than franciscas to be worth the lesser ammo and higher weight.
heavy throwing axes have good damage now compared to the spears line, but having only two ammo per stack is a total killer, spoils it.

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
I think I am the only thrower that is alright with this?
4 stacks is still 8 axes, and 8 axes are still 8 kills, then grab another weapon and kill more. Although I will say if they had a bit more length to improve melee capability that would be nice, even if they decrease damage or speed.

Offline Mendro

• Count
  • Renown: 236
  • Infamy: 53
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs