Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
PW mod
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »
I'm surprised there's no thread about pw mod (besides pw problem thread, which is a bit dull if you ask me). This is a great mode I think and it can be better if we play together sometimes.

For those who haven't tried the mod, I'd suggest using directx7. It'll lag.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:06:32 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
Re: PW mod
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:27:59 pm »
+3
too many randomers and crap admins, in theory this is a great mod and i have enjoyed it sometimes. unfortunately the the farthest rp goes in there is "HALT! GIMMEZ UR MONEZ!!"

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:41:11 pm »
+2
too many randomers and crap admins, in theory this is a great mod and i have enjoyed it sometimes. unfortunately the the farthest rp goes in there is "HALT! GIMMEZ UR MONEZ!!"

As I was saying in another thread, the secret to making a multiplayer RP game is not to say "here's your RP sandbox - go!". That always fails, because you can't trust everyone to be talented actors/storytellers. I've never played PW but I imagine it is victim to that same trap.

The trick is to create situations in which people act true to a character, without being prompted. For example, make room for banditry and reward those who pull it off and voila, you will have people who dedicate themselves to banditry - instant "RP" bandits. It's just a random example, but it's indicative of what's so good about Strat, I think. You don't need people to RP faction hierarchies like kings and generals (though it's nice when they do), because players, being humans, will naturally organize as such. Leaders will emerge organically. You don't need to offer pre-fab conflict, good vs. evil etc, because players will naturally develop their own animosities and their own reasons for war.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
i joined the TW for a few days, went on a roof and oneshot everybody that was randoming/robbing/attacking people. a guy that had been attacking someone of the townswatch went to an admin to cry about how i 'randommed' him and he took away my xbow :(

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:05:50 pm »
+2
PW is surely very new-comer enemy for sure. I understand what you lived there no rules, they don't even let you to do your own justice. As long as you know the general manners, it is fine but that will take some time I guess.

Admin's job are very hard too, it's hard to deal with a server full of asshorses. If I were you, I'd just announce in global chat that "I will set my own justice, whomever doing random will get a bolt in his head from me". Admins are supposed to check logs before making a decision, so it's his responsibility to take this into account. As I have seen such roleplays including ogres who eat horses, robin hood wannabes etc. Now this might sound a bit ridiculous, but it works.

As for the commodore axephante's comment, I can't agree more. This is the biggest flaw of the mod. However, I only enter pw servers to do rp and as long as I do my best to avoid randomers; I do enjoy it quite often. I meet people like me, doing roleplays. Taverns are good places for finding such guys most of the time. After all, when I want to enter the server only to do rp I already have no other purpose (I'd play another mod otherwise). And I have to put a bit effort in it, to create my rp. All depends on what you want. It can lead to frustration, but it can be fun too. Sometimes it just becomes an unique experience.

Edit:
Here a little story-experience I just had
Here's my character; sipidik oldurmeli
(click to show/hide)

I just came to these lands. As a stranger would do, I entered into a tavern. Hoping to meet some locals, and perhaps another travelers like me.
(click to show/hide)

There was a miss who were building a castle with cards. She was a very fine lassie, we had some conversation with her. She complained that people were moving very fast that the wind they created were ruining her architecture.
(click to show/hide)

After a while, a monk just came to the inn and asked me to join him in a pilgrimage. As a wanderer by heart, I agreed. We traveled on foot, to a cross on top of the mountain.
(click to show/hide)

Wow the view is amazing up there! I felt as if the whole realm is within the reach of my grasp. The air up there is also freshening.
(click to show/hide)

After the pilgrimage we parted and I, knowing no other place, returned to the tavern. Luckily, the miss was still there.
(click to show/hide)

Actually she told me that 2 bandits killed the tavernkeeper and she killed two of them alone. I was very impressed on her bravery. We had some more talk and I looked after her wounds.
After this fantastic day, I was very tired. I just go to the second floor, and had some sleep. I dreamt about the adventures I will live tomorrow.
(click to show/hide)

After that server crashed. lol.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:16:17 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:14 pm »
+2
Played PW with bunch of folks back in the day when it was fresh. Those were the days...
Mod is too screwed up now. Too much stuff added with the latest versions. Craft this/kill this/skin this/buy this etc etc etc etc etc. Too much pointless processes for such little things like armormaking made the game horribly boring. Considering the fact that all you do is hold the "f" key entire time without any animations going on.

Also the admins and their rules.....too damn much. Too damn fucking much. By the end I just gave up entirely and started trolling(funny planned trolling, not random shit). I think I got like 5 permabans from admins atleast. I think something kept reseting the banlist and I kept getting unbanned.

And it works? NO it does not. It does sometimes, occasionally, but mostly not. 5 shitheads per server with 2 halfcorrupted admins(who keep making wrong choices) are enough to fuck up the game for atleast 100 people.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:11:47 pm by TiberiusX »

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:47 pm »
+1
i have been playing PW probably mrore than any other person here,and i got to say it went to shit. I liked it so much better like half year ago, not even talking about all retards who play this mod. If you havent met full retards, go play PW and you will find 10 of them in 1st minute of gameplay. Admins are douchebags who do not do theyir job properly, i know how iit is to be admin in PW. You do your job well in begining , later you only reply to so called friends, and in the end you do not do your job at all. I could go on and on with my QQ but meh.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:16:25 pm »
+1
Well hell, lets raid and pillage the best of their mod for ourselves.

Step one: Ronin finishes the sure-to-be-awesome Town map he's making for the duel servers, complete with a tavern and an Arena (http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/tavern-server-game-mode/)

Step two: We all continue to... not suck.

Step three: CRPG is the greatest.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 12:12:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Archer was the easiest class. Just pewpew every sucker who didnt have a shield. The shit FPS didnt allow you to do much manualblocking thou.....So shield in combat or lots of spamming with a widerange weapon is a must have.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 03:15:57 pm »
1. Get 1000 gold (chop some wood, etc.)
2. Join a faction as mercenary
3. Use your superior blocking skills to kill a full plated noob, then loot him
4. Upgrade to foot soldier
5. Sneak into some castle's armory and declare war
6. Hold a bigass axe-swing aimed at the armory door and release as the unawares spawn infront of you
7. After you kill them all once, they will keep coming with default equipment, and since you hold armory, their gold will be worthless
8. Self-proclaim yourself the ruler of their castle and have them beg you to leave

Ahh, the joyful times at PW mod...
When I play pw, I don't fight at all. But that sounds cool. I'll try that :D