Author Topic: Tavern server/game mode  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
Tavern server/game mode
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:27 am »
+17
Good RPGs that once dominated my free time often had "Hangout" spaces. I remember playing Ultima Online and just bumming around the city bank for hours, chatting with people as they came and went, mugging and being mugged, etc. It's a concept that has often been restricted to MMOs and persistent worlds, for logical reasons... but I think, with a little ingenuity, we could gift that community-rallying concept to this, our favorite server-based game.

Here's the idea: A dedicated server with no teams (think duel), where you cannot spawn with weapons, but are otherwise unrestricted and may do as you please (attacking people, etc.). The server hosts a single map: a massive, multi-story tavern/bar, complete with a small brawling pit, a stage, standing tables and private meeting rooms.

This would be CRPG's official semi-RP hangout. A place where people can goof off, brawling, griefing and flooding chat with drunken nonsense at their leisure... and yet, also a place where clans can hold meetings, being able to see one another's characters gathered as they speak in TS, lending atmosphere and a sense of realism to their plotting.

The possibilities/uses are endless. Important STRAT diplomacy sit-downs, boxing gambling nights... you name it. Screenshot forum threads would be fed for a decade.

What do you think?

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: Tavern server/game mode
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:48:42 am »
+2
The main issue that I can see is that the server has to be paid for.

It would be great, though, if the devs coded a good Conquest game mode, removed Battle and Siege and then used the cash they saved on a good ol' RP/hangout server.

Another solution is to fuse this and the strat/duel server. Think having a Native town where everyone can run around doing whatever and those who are there to prep for a strat battle can go to the arena. The main issue I see with this idea is that the hangouts can't happen during strat battles.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:53:07 am »
The main issue that I can see is that the server has to be paid for.

It would be great, though, if the devs coded a good Conquest game mode, removed Battle and Siege and then used the cash they saved on a good ol' RP/hangout server.

Another solution is to fuse this and the strat/duel server. Think having a Native town where everyone can run around doing whatever and those who are there to prep for a strat battle can go to the arena. The main issue I see with this idea is that the hangouts can't happen during strat battles.

Yeah, I was ignoring the money issue for now - just wanted to see if anyone thought the idea itself had legs.

However, you're right, I suppose the quick way would just be to make this a new map in the strat/duel server. More than enough room for a tavern and an Arena proper, and frankly, we're all sick of Ruins, no?

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:29:18 am »
(Adding on to Tom's Idea)
What if...
They coded strat to include a third 'faction' for players not involved, and would add a large tavern to the maps. So all the non fighting players could spawn and walk around inside and RP. Downside to that is it would be one massive free for all unless massive coding is done to allow a separate game mode for the third faction.
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:39 am »
(Adding on to Tom's Idea)
What if...
They coded strat to include a third 'faction' for players not involved, and would add a large tavern to the maps. So all the non fighting players could spawn and walk around inside and RP. Downside to that is it would be one massive free for all unless massive coding is done to allow a separate game mode for the third faction.

Seems like a lot of effort for little result :P

I like the general principle of a tavern on the duel server, with a courtyard for duels. I remember that one map on EU1 that's a port with a marketplace by one of the spawns, and we Templars would RP as weapon merchants, till the enemy came to kill us ofc

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:52:59 am »
Just use a dead server....

Local chat would need to be coded for this idea to work but PW code is now open and has some very good chat features. (faction, area, global and i believe faction local).

Having chat that only communicated to those in your own clan would be great to.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:52:09 am by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 03:37:14 am »
Just us a dead server....
Well, we could hijack a dead server, and make it tavern
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:49:12 am by Nazgull »
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.

Offline Ditty

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Centrelink LL_Vegemite
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:49 am »
This must be done, do it now.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:25 am »
+1
Would love such a server.

Due to funding, I dont think money would be an issue. Also we have EU_9 which is completely empty all the time ( still not sure why its there ).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 03:45:45 pm »
PW mod is pretty close to this.
Pock gobblers

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »
PW mod is pretty close to this.

I'm talking about a place where Occitan and TKoV's leaders can get together around a big round table to try to work out a peace treaty. Where Fimbulvetr's leadership can gather and talk out their next big offensive. I'm talking about expanding diplomacy past simple forum flame and secret TS meetings. Never played PW but I'm pretty sure it's... something else.

Wise MMO game designers know that the best way to promote immersion is not to give roleplaying fans and chance to work their stuff, but rather to nurture an environment where everyone else finds themselves casually delving into casual RP territory, without even knowing it.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »
I liked this idea a lot. I'm volunteer to do the scenening. Should I wait if the devs make a comment on this idea, or just finish the scenening as soon as possible to increase the chance of being accepted?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 04:15:29 pm »
I liked this idea a lot. I'm volunteer to do the scenening. Should I wait if the devs make a comment on this idea, or just finish the scenening as soon as possible to increase the chance of being accepted?

I think we can see that the easiest way to get this done would be to make a new Duel Server map, as opposed to a new game-mode/server... it could meet a lot of the checkpoints, with much less effort. To that end I wrote a thread in the Scenes sub-forum asking just who is in charge of the "map rotation" in duel:

http://forum.meleegaming.com/scene-editing/the-duel-server-map/

In anticipation of an answer to that, I say get started! Make a map with an awesome tavern and a small outdoor area, so the revelry can spill out under the moon.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:45:01 pm »
yeah , such a good idea !!! +1 for this topic  :)

Offline Ditty

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Centrelink LL_Vegemite
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:16:24 pm »
Definitely, +1