Author Topic: xbow question  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Snowman191

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CUP CLAN
  • Game nicks: Snowman191
xbow question
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »
+1
I've realized I'm not good at melee, and probably never will be, and am going into xbow. I plan on going arbalest/mace or arbalest/some 0 slot sword.

My question is, which is better? Do steel bolts run out so quickly that I would need 2 slots worth of them or will 12 last me? I'm bad at melee so should I just go with the extra ammo anyway?

I'm in my first gen, any help is appreciated.

Offline Bifi

• Count
  • Renown: 211
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Bifi, Mr_Turtle
  • IRC nick: Bifi
Re: xbow question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:05 pm »
+3
You should read this guide, written by DaveUKR.
It's kinda outdated, but most things are still valid.
The most significant changes are probably 0 slot weapons and the number of slots crossbows take nowadays.
[16:30] <@cmp> real programmers don't make webpages
Quote from: cmpxchg8b
- fixed Jesus bug

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »
Going for ranged because you aren't good in melee is not really a good option. You will be forced to fight in melee anyway, so I suggest you get used to the idea that you'll need to learn manual blocking and all the other wonders of the melee combat anyway.
The reload time for Arbalest is so long that 1 stack of bolts will do fine. So the mace will be a good choice for you. It has the incredibly overpowered knockdown, and the 2h wpf will help you in the duel server, where you WILL be spending a lot of time getting better at melee.  :wink:

Offline Snowman191

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »
+1
Going for ranged because you aren't good in melee is not really a good option. You will be forced to fight in melee anyway, so I suggest you get used to the idea that you'll need to learn manual blocking and all the other wonders of the melee combat anyway.
The reload time for Arbalest is so long that 1 stack of bolts will do fine. So the mace will be a good choice for you. It has the incredibly overpowered knockdown, and the 2h wpf will help you in the duel server, where you WILL be spending a lot of time getting better at melee.  :wink:

I was going to write a longer post about why I'm bad at melee, I guess I should have.

I can block all day, it's no problem. The person that got me into crpg made me learn how to manual block first.

I'm going into xbow because I enjoy it. I skipped the fun and tried it out for a few hours, it was a blast.

I'm often the last alive or part of the last few alive and will stall the round by blocking away with my throwing axe. I just never know when to swing because as soon as I do I get hit. I was thinking the exact same thing with the mace, but I am aware that I'm always going to have to melee, that's why my other option was a 0 slot sword. Perhaps when I finally retire and get into xbow I'll try out my mace at the duel server, ha.

You should read this guide, written by DaveUKR.
It's kinda outdated, but most things are still valid.
The most significant changes are probably 0 slot weapons and the number of slots crossbows take nowadays.

Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:43:30 pm by Snowman191 »

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:43 pm »
+2
Well, I think 12 bolts will be enough for at least one round. I tried out arbalester with mace and arbslester with 1h 0slot weapon (Nordic Short War Sword) and I prefer arbalest+1h.
If you aren't good at melee, train a bit with some friends or train with somebody of your Clan who is good blocker etc. But back to bolts: You will need 24 bolts so 2 slots of them, if you -reload-shoot-reload-shoot without any hits. But if you aim and just shoot if you think you will hit your enemy and not the clouds, you will be able to play good with just 1 slot of steel bolts (12). Go for 15:24 build and read the guide of DaveUKR, he was great arbalester, like Tuttiritari.
I hope, I could teach you something and I hope too that u understand what I mean!
Greeeets:)
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:13 pm »
the reason why you cant swing and have to keep blocking is because your footwork probably exists out of pressing the S key. footwork is also turning around your enemy, walking past him, dodging his overheads etc...

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:18 pm »
+1
Maybe you should just ask someone to teach you a bit. I'd be glad to do it. And I'm sure there are many others aswell.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:15:29 pm »
+2
I've realized I'm not good at melee, and probably never will be, and am going into xbow. I plan on going arbalest/mace or arbalest/some 0 slot sword.

My question is, which is better? Do steel bolts run out so quickly that I would need 2 slots worth of them or will 12 last me? I'm bad at melee so should I just go with the extra ammo anyway?

I'm in my first gen, any help is appreciated.

1 stack of steel bolts is enough per round. You might also consider the heavy xbow, reload is faster and dmg output still pretty good.
Dont listen to the others they just want to keep you from becoming xbower because they dont use shields.

Offline Snowman191

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
1 stack of steel bolts is enough per round. You might also consider the heavy xbow, reload is faster and dmg output still pretty good.
Dont listen to the others they just want to keep you from becoming xbower because they dont use shields.

I like this guy, and thanks for the advice. On another note, is it worth getting the bolts heirloom'd first for the extra bolt or saving for a masterwork xbow? I'll have to play around with the heavy xbow before I pick one to masterwork first anyway.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:34 am »
+2
I like this guy, and thanks for the advice. On another note, is it worth getting the bolts heirloom'd first for the extra bolt or saving for a masterwork xbow? I'll have to play around with the heavy xbow before I pick one to masterwork first anyway.

Probably bolts first, easier to trade away if you ever want to switch.  The market is extremely bloated with Crossbows and Arbalests, don't loom one up yourself.  Save up some gold/points and buy one instead.

Steel bolts are an absolute must, and I rarely fire off more than ten in a round before committing to melee, dying, or winning.  Worst-case you can scavenge, plenty of bolts being fired around.

Melee-weapon wise, I recommend you go with an axe (I use the Light One Handed (Battle?) Axe).  You can break a stubborn one-hander's shield and run away to shoot him.

The less expensive 1h maces do crap damage, and swords are easy to get stunned if your stab is blocked at close range.  Axes do high damage for the price.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:12 am »
+1
I'd go for steel bolts first over mwing the arb myself. (although I screwed up and +1'd an arb. D:)

I use a mw military cleaver and arb with steel bolts. I never run out of bolts in battle. In siege its possible but I often run into melee once I need to or if I ever run out of bolts.

So definitely learn your footwork and when to attack. Once you get that down you'll join the ranks of great crossbowmen like Dave and DarkKarma.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:56:52 am »
is it worth getting the bolts heirloom'd first for the extra bolt or saving for a masterwork xbow?
don't loom one up yourself. 

Neither xbow nor bolts. For 2 loompoints and 100-200 k you will get +3 steel bolts, for arbalest you will pay 2 loompoints and 50 k, even less for crossbow. Just put your offer on the market and wait patiently.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 09:28:16 am »
+3 Steel bolts first, the biggest dmg buff you can get. And you can use them for every type of xbow you carry