Author Topic: Hard build  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Armycook_of_KSantiago

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • No mercy! No retreat! No remorse!
    • View Profile
Hard build
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:24 pm »
+1
After about 10 gens of trying out different builds & classes & weapon choices, i am still doing pretty bad in dis game no matter how...
so i want to ask about how do u guys train yourself and get better? i was dueling over and over again but couldn't improve by any... or is it i need to calm down and there is no special thing you can learn to get better?
thanks.
PS tips on polearm game plays, i just cant hit people with it...
Dinner is served!
(click to show/hide)

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
Re: Hard build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:59:58 pm »
+4
2h
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Armycook_of_KSantiago

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • No mercy! No retreat! No remorse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01:29 am »
+9
Dinner is served!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:14 am »
to improve blocking skills i would play siege (because respawn and everyone spams so blocking practice) That and i would go to Nditions duel server on native and fight the AI bots its good practice.

Are you a member of a clan by the way?
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:38 am »
+2
NEVAR!

hahaha.  maybe try new things in duelling,  that will get you killed at first,  but by the time you master them you will: BAM be better.

try:  mastering the chamber
try:  feinting like a retard
try:  jump twirl slashing if you are a str build
try.  footwork extravaganzas if you have lots of athl.

also:  try new things in battle:
charge into the enemy alone,  breaking there formation and softening them up for mates,  dance around and block as much as you can
team up with a mate that has a class which goes well with yours and become a great support player
become a great support player
try sth completly new.
play drunk
play sober
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:18 am »
+5
First of all, learn to manual block. I recommend learning it by going on Native Tutorial. Then put combat speed to slow and duel the lowest ranked trainer, they are somewhere on the tutorial map. I think he is called a novice. Then just stand still and block, focusing on blocking only. Do this until you can manage blocking 10 times in a row without getting hit. Then go to the next trainer and when you've done this with all the trainers, put combat speed up to medium and repeat. If you want you can also do fast, but as cRPG is medium combat speed it isn't that useful.

This way you can learn solid blocking in like 2 hours, much better than the sloppy blocking most beginners learn from trying it in game. If you want you can start moving while doing the blocking and perhaps even attacking back, but only once you can comfortably block.

When you can actually block is when you should go to the duel server. Stay calm and play defensively and try to think about what you are doing. You first have to be able to defend yourself before you can think about attacking, so keep your attacking simple. Everytime you lose a duel, try to evaluate what killed you, it is always your own fault, and try to improve upon that. Look at good players using your class and try to copy their tricks and tactics. Again, only when you feel comfortable with doing simple attacks and always keep thinking about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

With the right mentality you can get a lot better very quickly, and learning it this way will make you avoid learning bad habits which will take ages to unlearn later on.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:14:32 am »
+4
For true improving :

Take a stick and try to survive as long as possible in the heat of battle.

After, you'll put on armor and long weapon and you'll see how easy it was.

Elder's stick owner protip :P
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:28:37 am »
+2
My personal advice is to use agi based builds. 21 or 24 agi will allow you to master the footwork and so you won't get swarmed so easily on battle. You'll also learn to maximize your damage output since the massive powerstrike isn't doing it for you (speedbonus, aim for the head, held attacks). Also can't afford many mistakes till you're dead :D
Most importantly, when you're frustrated and feel like going and punching your mom, no matter how far she is. Just stop playing, go out, anything to take your mind off the game for a moment, except punching your mother.  :wink:

Oh, and dont use shields above the arena shields  :) And no Glaive, we don't need another S hero

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
+1
i think, you know what  you should be albe to do to call yourself 'trained'. the only problem is that you dont know how to practice it.

a few tips:

-start with the basics and start practicing something more difficult each time you can do what you wanted to do. (eg: start with blocking before you go chambering)
-dont try to learn all at once. go to a duel server (or battle or siege) and try to focus on one single thing. eg: go to battle server and try to block every attack without attacking yourself, later you can try chambering: go to a server and if you are fighting a guy try to chamber some of his attacks. dont be afraid to die, it doesnt matter.
-ask help on the duel server, people will certainly come to practice some chambering with you.
-footwork is key! with good footwork i can just block without seeing the attack, with footwork you force the enemy to hit you where you want him to hit you. with footwork you can make the enemy teamkill and you can make them impossible to hit you. (that's how i work as pure piker)

edit:
-also the warband tutorial bots might help alot to practice blocking, kicking and chambering.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:42:57 am by no_rules_just_play »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:40:09 am »
+1
Go 27/12, pick a glaive and buy a magic mouse. There's no point learning when even if you do you will be killed by people like this.

/rant

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:35 am »
+1
Reading up and research on gameplay mechanics for a short while may also help wonderfully. Experiment, and either take a mental note or even write down what works and how to improve. The way you turned, what timing you used, what positioning was used to get a nice hit in. Keep a note so you can identify the situation when the chance comes again.

Blocking is mostly about muscle memory and that comes eventually. Timing and footwork and knowledge of what to do in precarious scenarios is entirely something else.

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:39 am »
If you master C-rpg, you get to ride on a carpet with Al_Adin!!!

----------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI <----------

(click to show/hide)

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:45:07 am »
+2
Go on the the duel server in your heaviest armor but only with a staff (yes, the regular wooden one) as your weapon (doesn't matter if you only got 1 WPF in poles). Focus on nothing but NOT to get hit (you should ofc attack back just so you don't bore your opponent to death)
Thats what I did when I wanted to improve my blocking skills. Extra points and laughs if you manage to kill your opponent.

Play in light armor or completly naked. Another nice way of improving your blocks since you don't have armor for survivability

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 06:11:00 am »
+3
Aside from just being good at dueling/blocking/feigning which is what naturally comes to mind, intelligent decision making and situational awareness are also important. Can you learn these things in a direct way like blocking/feigning, maybe. Especially if your struggling playing battle or something it really doesn't matter how skilled a fighter you are if you make stupid decisions. Getting tunnel vision on a guy your trying to kill and getting lead into a mob of enemy troops isnt good.

Always prevent yourself from getting ganked, which is easy to happen on battle and maybe the most common cause of death, avoid/run from disadvantageous fights, and look for match ups where you have a big advantage, say a 2 or 3 on 1. Also periodically check whats going on around you instead of what your doing at that moment, can get cav back-stabbed or flanked by other infantry. Staying alive is whats most important, risking your life to get the killing blow is stupid, you cant help your team or your score if your dead.

And in a bigger picture, often times at the start of a match people will split up into groups and go to differnt parts of the maps to fight, making the right choice on which group to go with can be the difference between being in the group that rolls the people they fight, or being in the group that gets rolled. Again in a melle fight dont matter how good you are if you find yourself surrounded and alone your going to get killed anyways. And know when to run from a fight when a battle is going badly, or atelast stay at a safe distance so you arent in danger of being quickly overtaken.

Alot of this is, decision making, is based on intelligence, if your not that bright you may never get good at it.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:58 am »
Set your mind to go to the duel server to learn. Not to win.
Many people make this mistake; they go there and start caring about their W/L ratio, and thereby start fight very defensive.
Play as if you were fighting in a battle or siege and you dont have time to fight one guy for 2 minutes.   Just don't mind losing, improving is what is really important.

This worked very well for me when I first started playing, yes I lost a lot, because I did not want to wait around forever; but it did not take me long to exceed the ones who beat me to start off with

As goes for polearms, try to use the right swing as much as possible as it is the longest and sometimes the fastest direction.
And try using the stab from time to time, it is by far the fastest direction of the four in most cases and ever since the nerfed-turn-speed people have stopped expecting it (the turn speed also means that it is risky).

Anyway good luck.