Author Topic: 1h weapons without shield  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Nihtgenga

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fenris
  • Game nicks: Eldest
1h weapons without shield
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:46 pm »
So I am looking for a one hand weapon to use. I will use it without a shield.

Are there some sort of weapons which are better suited for use without a shield then others?
Or are there some stats which are more important?
I will be having 5 and later 6 PS.

Thanks for the help.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
Re: 1h weapons without shield
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:49:31 pm »
+2
If you have low PS like 5 or 6, I assume you will have a lot of athletics?
In that case I'd highly recommend pierce or blunt damage type weapon, even if it's shorter that other 1h's.
Military hammer seems to be the best choise, imo.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:58:02 pm »
+2
I'd recommend using thrust oriented swords. Without a shield, you'll be faster and can get better speed bonus. Which is an important thing for thrusts if you ask me. Long espada was my favourite. Side sword, italian sword, knightly arming sword, scottish sword are all viable options too depending on your preferences. All 1h swords have their use, and will be good but I'd recommend picking a long onehander. That way you can adapt yourself to the sitation better. Left swing, overhead swing and thrust would be useful for clusterfucks, left swing will be useful if the enemy is very close, right swing and thrust will be useful if you need to gain range. All in all, long espada is the best, knightly arming is the most balanced for this. 18/21 or 21/18 are both good for this kind of setup.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:12 pm »
+1
Well I tried one handed without a shield too, not too long ago;+) and it went really well. You have to be a good blocker so if you aren't and you don't want to get frustrated too much then don't be this class.But I guess, you know this and you are a very well blocker ;). If you have 5-6 Power Strike I guess too that u will have around 18-24 agility so much athletics and Weapon Master. I tried this class with a Knightly Arming Sword and Nordic Champion's Sword. Both are good non-shield onehanded weapons. You can also use a blunt weapon like a Military Hammer or the Warhammer. But at these weapons you have to take a look to their length. But u will need a Heavy armor in anyway. If not archers will shoot you down immediately en jspecially if you aren't able to run away their arrows  :mrgreen:
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:34:03 am »
+1
Warhammer if you have high enough athletics compensate the lack of reach. I made a troll stf with 27 agi just to hammer down some archers, was hilarious.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:31 am »
+1
Go for a weapon with high cut damage and long range. You'll need the damage not to glance and the range to prevent people from backpedling on you (right swing with 100 length 1h is nearly has long as a 140 polearms right swing).

Do not go for a trust 1h with 5 PS (not even with 6 PS unless it is heirloomed), because you will find yourself glancing off many people.

To be concrete I would recommend you using Nordic Champion Sword or the new Paramerion (though I expect it to get nerfed at some point).
Or some other weapon with similar damage, length and speed.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:12 am »
+2
I would recommend to get at least 7 or 8 ps in the first place, the only advantage 1h without shield has compared to with shield, is very good movement speed. Which is why you can sacrifice some more speed towards damage and tanking. With 7 or 8 ps you should get a high cut long 1h like the NCS, Arabian Cav, Paramerion, well you get the idea.

Personally I think the military hammer would be the best for your build. Important as a 1h without shield is that you learn to use the rightswing at its full range and that you use overheads. I don't know what server you play on but if it is a beta test server the overhead will turn pretty fast. People suck at blocking overheads, as every shielder and his mother abuses the leftswing only.

I have a military hammer 1h no shield alt myself, and on siege it is disgustingly good. So if you are playing siege, discard what I said about the long cut 1h with high ps, that is for battle. The sidesword is the new up and coming OP 1h btw, those stats are glorious.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:13:15 am »
+1
I would recommend to get at least 7 or 8 ps in the first place, the only advantage 1h without shield has compared to with shield, is very good movement speed. Which is why you can sacrifice some more speed towards damage and tanking. With 7 or 8 ps you should get a high cut long 1h like the NCS, Arabian Cav, Paramerion, well you get the idea.

Don't underestimate the value of the left swing spam with 7 or 8 WM.
Also it is a lot more fun to be a fast 1h than a slow and powerful one, since it is very different.

Also you really get a lot out for high ath, because the low weight of a onehander doesn't slow you down.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:29 am »
+1
Don't underestimate the value of the left swing spam with 7 or 8 WM.
Also it is a lot more fun to be a fast 1h than a slow and powerful one, since it is very different.

Also you really get a lot out for high ath, because the low weight of a onehander doesn't slow you down.

Yeah, but almost everything will onehit you. It's a fun build, if you have high frustration tolerance. If you rage a lot, don't do it. For me, everything under 70 cm is too short (yeah, I'm a big girl, haha penis joke). I have a 21 18 1h no shield build atm, and use broad short sword. You get blockstunned often, though, which is kind of annoying. An axe or hammer would be better, I guess.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:33:26 am »
+1
I think it's obvious from the huge variety of responses in this thread that we need more information.

Can we get more of your character build? How high your athletics are will make a big difference in choice here, as well as your playstyle.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:10 pm »
+1
I'd go with the same build I use as 2h right now on lvl 30:
(click to show/hide)
It is nice for battle, and a long cutting sword. I totally prefer Side Sword over any other sword (also before the last patch, bought my MW Side Sword 2 weeks before the patch and had one even earlier. It is damn nice!).

For less PS and more AGI/WM, I'd use either the Military Hammer, Steel Pick or Warhammer. Simply for blunt or pierce dmg which is very useful while having rather low PS. But high movement speed is nice with a rather short weapon. Wouldnt use a cutting weapon then though.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Nihtgenga

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fenris
  • Game nicks: Eldest
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »
Thanks for all the replies first.
Sorry, forgot about my build.
I will be a 1h/xbower.
and I am trying to figure out if I should go for 18/24 or 21/21 at 33.
further I got 3 loom points to spend so I am looking for the right 1h weapon.

cheers

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

You can buy on the market almost every 1h weapon for 2 loompoints and 100 k or even less, dont loom it yourself. Put an offer on the market and wait patiently.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »
Thanks for all the replies first.
Sorry, forgot about my build.
I will be a 1h/xbower.
and I am trying to figure out if I should go for 18/24 or 21/21 at 33.

cheers
Look, if you wanna be dedicated xbowman with ability to fight in melee, you should get more agi-oriented build. 15-24 at lvl 30 and 15-27 at lvl 33 has proven to be the best since you need to get both 1h and xbow wpf as much as possible and 15 strength for ability to use arbalest. Just saying. Maybe you'd want to read DaveUKR's guide for xbowmen.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »
+1
With the tweaks on the test servers, the 1h stab is very good. I recommend giving the side sword a whirl.

Just stab next to your opponent's head, and wiggle the stab in for a 29p headshot. This works better with a high FoV, since you can still keep track of what's happening around you while doing it.

The only issue with the stab is that it will kill teammates on your right side if your right hand so much as brushes past them. Stick to overheads if your sides aren't clear.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:47:59 pm by Vodner »