Author Topic: A better reward system  (Read 939 times)

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: A better reward system
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
+2
A reward for kills is a bad idea. High levels and highly "skilled" players will always get a lot of more xp than anyone else. That would also encourage builds that are made for killing, e.g. spammy shielders and similar.

I like the current system, because everyone gets the same amount of base xp. If your team wins a round, you get more. If you play a lot of crpg and therefore retire, you get a bit more base xp but after all everyone gets about the same amount of xp, no matter how many kills they get. And as leeching is forbidden and leechers get banned, the system also works.

I'm of course open to any new system and would welcome it of course, but I also like the current system.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:06 pm »
+2
This matter is really difficult.

On one hand good performance should be rewarded, bad performance... well, not punished, but at least NOT rewarded. On the other hand rewards for killing are absolutely inacceptable, as they will make gameplay hell, everyone will be trying to kill steals on focus on killing rather than winning the round than they already do now. You will be surrounded by asshats, all the time, stealing your kills and/or wounding or killing you in that process. And a solely performance based reward system only increases the gap between top players and new players.

I think you must find something in between, where your performance helps you, but on the other hand where everything stays fair for everybody. I guess kills are a bad base for rewards, as they don't necessarily show how much someone contributed to win the round. And I think different classes should have different goals to achieve and thus should receive rewards for different stuff.

One funny idea I has some time ago was to reward infantry for kills which are made by teammates close to them, but no rewards if you make the kill yourself, and the more players of your side survive, the bigger the percentage of that reward you receive at the end of the round. It could be funny to see infantry actually supporting and trying to defend each other, instead to just autowalk like a lemming wherever you see the closest enemy.

But whatever you do, I think a change of the upkeep system goes hand in hand with a new reward system, so this should be changed, too.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 03:43:37 pm »
I think ticks should still be working, but in lower intervals.  While at the same time, the game calculates your SCORE (Not kills)  And perhaps multiplies it by a fixed number to add more experience once the round finishes.

Although, I think the Valor system is pretty decent myself.

EDIT: Also, if your score goes down, then subtract it from your next tick perhaps?

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »

On one hand good performance should be rewarded, bad performance... well, not punished, but at least NOT rewarded. On the other hand rewards for killing are absolutely inacceptable, as they will make gameplay hell, everyone will be trying to kill steals on focus on killing rather than winning the round than they already do now. You will be surrounded by asshats, all the time, stealing your kills and/or wounding or killing you in that process. And a solely performance based reward system only increases the gap between top players and new players.

I think you must find something in between, where your performance helps you, but on the other hand where everything stays fair for everybody. I guess kills are a bad base for rewards, as they don't necessarily show how much someone contributed to win the round. And I think different classes should have different goals to achieve and thus should receive rewards for different stuff.

One funny idea I has some time ago was to reward infantry for kills which are made by teammates close to them, but no rewards if you make the kill yourself, and the more players of your side survive, the bigger the percentage of that reward you receive at the end of the round. It could be funny to see infantry actually supporting and trying to defend each other, instead to just autowalk like a lemming wherever you see the closest enemy.

But whatever you do, I think a change of the upkeep system goes hand in hand with a new reward system, so this should be changed, too.
wow this is a pure genius idea. That can actually work for infantry!

As you said different classes should have different achivements, I think bumping and doing knockdowns can be rewarded as most of the time it means another free hit. This might be a good rewarding system for cavalry and maybe mace users.

As for the ranged, I think it's simple. More damage should mean more score regardless of kills.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 06:08:12 pm »

This would be a great way to change things.  Although, I can already see people going full turtle on everyone.  Tavern_Keeper will be up on Hall of Fame in no time.