Author Topic: Deployable Wooden stakes/anticav items.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Deployable Wooden stakes/anticav items.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 11:30:23 pm »
If you let them dismount, destroy the equipment and mount again; yes they will do that.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Silfarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 23
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrell
  • Game nicks: I am the everyjudas!
  • IRC nick: Judas_cRPGSilfarion
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 11:45:07 pm »
+1
If you let them dismount, destroy the equipment and mount again; yes they will do that.

Which would be a bad idea if there's a huge mob of guys with axes that want to kill the guy on the horse

But it'd be good for area denial, at least to hold them off for as long as possible
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 02:52:36 am »
+1
Make a deployable stake as for siege shields or construction sites : that will improve the difficulty for cavs in battle , but not too much if they are skilled !

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:25 am »
Probably 1 hit it's gone, since it's just a big wooden stick. But it'd still be extremely effective against cavalry

I don't know, even if you're strong enough to hack right through a sharpened wooden beam, what have you turned it into? A shorter sharpened wooden beam. And there are 5 or 6 in the model. So, they should be able to take a few hits. Besides, you're never going to destroy them with crossbows.

Offline Silfarion

• Baron
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 04:03:59 am »
+1
A shorter sharpened wooden beam. And there are 5 or 6 in the model.

In that case assume every wooden stake can take 2 hits, and if there are 5 or 6 it should take 10 or 12 hits to destroy all the stakes

That sounds pretty good

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:14 pm »
In MM mod you could deploy these as a Rifleman.

Ideally they need to be limited, like siege shields, but maybe 8 per team, and strong! These are hard bits of wood lashed to one another: you cannot just hack the center strut because of the spikes, and destroying it spike by spike should take you, as one player with a 2h/1h, about...20 secs maybe? like a construction sight is now maybe...

Problem is it must be relatively immune to all ranged except throwing...
I don't know enough

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:34 pm »
+8
Yeah, I've already made this actually, works good on my local module. Just need to address some compatibility issues with the newest crpg version so I can commit it to the SVN. I hope it won't take too long :/

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 03:09:21 pm »
Fucking smart ass, how convenient he "already made this" once he stole our idea! RAGE!

No, good work, amazing, keep it up, ty. Now make me a burgundy hood pls to match my Byrnie's cloak and we can all be happy :D
I don't know enough

Offline Tayzzer

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • What?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC
  • Game nicks: Zaylo_Unicorns, Zeyro_AoW, Talony_Vanguard_Of_AoW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »
Quote from: Silfarion on March 10, 2013, 10:59:30 pm
Probably 1 hit it's gone, since it's just a big wooden stick. But it'd still be extremely effective against cavalry

I don't know, even if you're strong enough to hack right through a sharpened wooden beam, what have you turned it into? A shorter sharpened wooden beam. And there are 5 or 6 in the model. So, they should be able to take a few hits. Besides, you're never going to destroy them with crossbows.

I would suggest making it as strong as a deployed siege site and since they appear to already be a giant pile of wood it makes a sort of sense. In addition range hardly does anything to them. make it 4 slots and extremely heavy so its for tactical defense and not something you can throw in front of a cavalry charge.

Unless it comes from a siege site then I don't know much about how much construction material every thing costs so I cant make a good suggestion on that count.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 04:51:07 pm »
Instead of what Matey shows in his OP, I would prefer/suggest stakes that are 2 stakes per slot.  You put them in the ground and they will rear a horse that runs into it (if that's even possible, otherwise it would just stop horses from riding over it, rearing would be best tho).  If you want a stake ring or stake pit you'd need to carry multiple slots and have your buddies helping out as well.  Otherwise it's similar to a pavise in that you (the archer typically) would be standing behind your two stakes in the ground. 

And they should be destroyable in a couple hits each.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Silfarion

• Baron
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:36 pm »
they will rear a horse that runs into it (if that's even possible, otherwise it would just stop horses from riding over it, rearing would be best tho)

Well then they're just siege shields that don't block projectiles. I think they should do damage upon contact or something

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:36 pm »
Well then they're just siege shields that don't block projectiles. I think they should do damage upon contact or something

Agreed, they should do damage and actually rear the horse (not just "stop it"), but I don't know if that's possible to code into the object.

The difference between a siege shield (which is 2 slots and blocks arrows) and these, would be that they are not as tall so it wouldn't be such an easy target for someone to attack (especially riding by on a horse) and you would get 2 (or so) for every 1 slot they take up.  You could easily put up a ring of stakes if you had a few teammates carrying them. 

If it is, then I'd like to see all weapons have "passive" damage that can be dealt if someone run's into it (even if you're not actually coming forward with an attack)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:05 pm »
+4
Agreed, they should do damage and actually rear the horse (not just "stop it"), but I don't know if that's possible to code into the object.

The difference between a siege shield (which is 2 slots and blocks arrows) and these, would be that they are not as tall so it wouldn't be such an easy target for someone to attack (especially riding by on a horse) and you would get 2 (or so) for every 1 slot they take up.  You could easily put up a ring of stakes if you had a few teammates carrying them. 

If it is, then I'd like to see all weapons have "passive" damage that can be dealt if someone run's into it (even if you're not actually coming forward with an attack)
It already does damage. To horses only though. And I've fixed the stuff on my end and committed to svn, so I can confirm it will be included in the next patch :)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »
That's awesome, thanks Ozin...can you confirm if it's a similar model to what the OP posted?  Do you got a pic handy you can post?  How many slots/weight will it be?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 08:16:05 pm »
Just need to make it have a very small hitbox so it can't be shot or couched down, only destroyed by infantry.
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.