Author Topic: prevent bs in future, read something about historical firearms!  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
Re: prevent bs in future, read something about historical firearms!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:25 am »
u guys become un-objective. did i say chadz supports magic fire arms? no. did i say there will be fire arms in game? no.
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »
u guys become un-objective. did i say chadz supports magic fire arms? no. did i say there will be fire arms in game? no.

chill winston its all good man we got you

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »
my name is not winston. varlord.

Offline Gondemar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Torayama clan, Ninja, ex-Shogunate, ex-Pecores
  • Game nicks: Torayama_Munemori (main) ; Satsujin_the_Unseen ; Gondemar_the_Fat
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »
It's just Al_Adin who had this weapon,
Mighty is he!
Al_Adin,
Strong as ten regular men, definitely!
He faced the galloping hordes
A hundred bad guys with swords
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The Way of the Samurai is found in death ; Torayama Clan
                          Munemori's armory

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »
we just saw an admin fireing a handgun staff on EU1. and on the shop page is still a shop cetegory open: 'bullets' logically u could think that medieval fire arms might maybe be implemented in the future. to prevent bullshit please: from the plate armors and weaponary you can guess crpg is set in the first 5 decades of the 15th century. i know there were many discussions yet about fire arms in the forums in the past. i just want to attent you, if you implement fire arms - do it right. use medieval ones, we must pay attention not to slide into the renessains (never could spell it correctly). medieval fire arms look like this:

(click to show/hide)

heres a link with some back ground information about medieval fire arms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon

sry we are already in renaissance with all the non medieval swords and other weapons...

handgonne, matchlock, arquebuse are some firearms that are older than some of the weapons we have...the problem is most people think firearms= new weapons, swords = old weapons...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 03:48:17 pm »
It's more about playstyle and gamemechanics, historical accuracy is bs, should i remind you that Calradia doesn't exist so it doesn't follow any time line.

Bullets are still on website to promote players to create thread asking why there is bullet.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »
Medieval firearms made more smoke and noise than any effective damage or killing.  This is historical.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
thats not true garision. i fired a handgun already, they are more accurate than u might think..

and to the statement: crpg is in renecains yet - its not. only side sword and morion and long espada eslavona are renecains weapons, the rest is found in many medieval pictures and sources..

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:50 pm »
thats not true garision. i fired a handgun already, they are more accurate than u might think..

That is cool!  However modern recreations might be made a bit differently?  From what I've read in medieval history books, they were mostly smoke and noise (but could kill with a lucky shot, or if fired in a volley at closer range). 

All-in-all, the slow reload, lack of accuracy (much worse than a crossbow or bow), and inability to work in rain made them very ineffective weapons...which is why they weren't more widely adopted until they improved.  If they were implemented, which they won't be I guess, they would have slower reload than xbow and worse accuracy and worse range.  So, in short, they would suck. :) lol

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 03:50:21 am »
It's more about playstyle and gamemechanics, historical accuracy is bs, should i remind you that Calradia doesn't exist so it doesn't follow any time line.

Bullets are still on website to promote players to create thread asking why there is bullet.

Firearms would basically use crossbow game mechanics (loading wise), so functionally they would fit in.

Firearms are historically accurate for the time period, so aesthetically they would fit in.

Also, they already have a wpf slot, but it was never used.

The cool thing about m&b for me is being able to experience a medieval battle simulation and because firearms were a part of that, I'd like to see them.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:52:29 am by ArchonAlarion »

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:15 am »
Totally agree Archon, though maybe that is slightly one reason not to have them as well I guess.

They wouldn't add much different to crossbows, a bit more power, a bit less accuracy, a longer reload time, totally useless in rain, 3 or even 4 slots once you include the gun, the powder and the shot.

Perhaps a random "misfire" chance that gets lower the more wpf you have just to add some historical accuracy.

I fully accept that a great many people in cRPG and M&B as a whole feel that firearms don't belong but they could be added in a way that was interesting and fair for those who did like them to no more effect than a current crossbow on those who dislike them.

It wouldn't be worth it though if it caused a major split, and resulted in "early medieval" and "late medieval" servers.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:52:25 am by AlbaTiger »

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »
It wouldn't be worth it though if it caused a major split, and resulted in "early medieval" and "late medieval" servers.

Actually, I think this would be pretty cool. In a more advanced game, your equipment would have a tech stat that when added together would be a tech score, and you'd be offered servers with people of similar tech scores. Of course, it would also be popular/possible to enter servers where the tech scores were not accounted for.