Author Topic: Viriathus Scene Editing  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Viriathus Scene Editing
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:59 pm »
He could also move the ship spawn a bit forward and then invisible wall the ship, fighting on mountains* is the lamest shit ever and altering the mountain for the invisible walls to be more obvious and natural imo makes 100% more sense.

*Read: ranged camping on mountains

All this ranged hate =P
If the mountain is steep enough (and this one is) you can easily charge off those ranged with a shieldwall. In the end, it's not my map and it depends on what alfons wants. I'd be fine with either solution.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 10:44:56 pm »
Thnx guys.

When i made Bounty, the mountains werent suposed to be accessible, as they are made of "valley rock" objects and look a bit too rough. The fighting is suposed to happen on the places i marked (heat), and both teams reach those places simultaniously (about 30 secs). There are plenty of features for archers, and cav.
But i will defenatly rework the barriers! i rushed doing those.

As for the siege map, i will right away correct those mistakes!
However, i think the distance between the flag and atacker spawns is fine, accualy i was affraid they might be too close to the walls, giving the defenders a hard time, notice how the defender spawns are way back on the castle, most of the time the atackers will have secured the gate and the front walls.
I will have a look at it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:24:18 am by afonsoserro »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 01:23:08 am »
+3
Bounty looks like some great fun and it looks beautiful too!

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 08:19:17 pm »
+1
I have taken a look at Bounty. First of all, very nice looking map, pulled off the tropical island vibe really well. The green ground paint below the water, really nice. Some of rock props flicker a little, but you can't do much about that, just the game being weird. I think it would work as a battle map gameplay wise as well, there are just a few spots in the map which are most likely going to be abused by ranged.

(click to show/hide)
This platform/bridge up the boat, you should definitely remove it. It is right at the spawn of one team. Look at what an incredible archer spot this is. Enemies would have to walk through the water slowly to attack it. If you leave this one half the rounds would probably start as 'CAMP THE BOAT GUYS'.

You have an inaccessible hill in the center. You partly blocked off the top part, but this still leaves some very easily climbable rocks which provide some very good positions for archers. Look at these two screens, it was very easy to walk up there because this game handles slopes very weirdly.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I'd recommend you to block off the hill much lower, so people can't shoot people from 10m high and be very safe. Now this would make people run into an unexpected invisible wall, so you would have to make sure that the lower invisible wall makes sense. You could do this by making the slope a lot steeper by placing steep angled rocks that actually look unclimbable. Basically you have to keep in mind that if ranged has a chance to be completely safe from cav somewhere, they will take it. So with the hill in its current state, expect entire groups of archers way up the hill, hugging the invisible border.

As soon as you have removed that boat platform I am willing to add it, but I hope you can find the time and courage to try to prevent hillcamping. Keep on mapping.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 11:47:15 pm »
Thnx Teeth.
But im way ahead of you, im already reworking the barriers on the hills! as i mentioned, im making them lower and look MUCH more natural.
As for the platform... ITS GONE! will update the map soon.

What did you think about the framerate on this map? i have a lot of flora.
Im also afraid of the framerate on my siege map, id like to get some opinion on that aswell.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:51:57 pm by afonsoserro »

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 02:55:42 am »
new map (08/08/2013)

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 10:40:49 am »
Please rework Rhodok Cliffside Castle. Flag is almost inpenetrable for attackers. The way to the flag is okay but the flag area itself is a bitch to attack.
I will take a look at your new one, but fix rhodok pls. I'd have to take it off the rotation if you don't.

Edit: I can already see from the screenshot: Once again you made one staircase to the flag. Castles with only one final way to the flag never work. You definitely have to let them access at least on another way. Forcing people to walk up those stairs is not good.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »
Okay, so here's the real review:

- entry point 32 is at the flag, move it to the actual attackers spawn
- entry point 0 (the defence center) is at the front wall and defenders will most likely spawn at the wall often
- fishes on the table are hovering on it
- why did you make that battlement although there is terrain at the exact same height? If you move the camera that usually makes up for some weird visuals in this area (Same thing with the carpet on the tower)
- remove the water prop, if people are below the height of it they will get the blue underwater fog, meaning basically everywhere other than the flag area
- block off the water area completely with invisible walls, beneath the flag area you can walk in the water if you want and then you blocked them off at the fences, so they will get stuck
- the harbour prop is floating in the water, lower it a little pls
- don't block off the awning with invisble walls, let people freely jump on and off it
- and the balance issue: it's not as big as your first castle, but now there is only one staircase to the flag that defenders need to defend. So here's what will probably happen: Attackers will either fail to ever get the staircase because it's very hard to get through there and there is no way to win. OR attackers will make it through, kill a bunch of people and then defenders are screwed. The spawns of defenders are very far from the flag and the ones that are close to the flag will be disabled once attackers make it close to flag. And that is imo bad gameplay.
So here's what you should do: Move the defenders center and move some defenders spawn. Add at least one more way to enter the flag area. That may be another staircase or ladder, but there definitely needs to be another way to access it.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »
Of course! It all made sence, i will rework the castle, as well as my first castle.

- remove the water prop, if people are below the height of it they will get the blue underwater fog, meaning basically everywhere other than the flag area
Are you sure about this? on editor this happens, but when i test it, its all fine.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:13 pm »
Trust me, remove it^^

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:03 pm »
Palace of Marte is updated. Fips, have a look when get a chance and tell me what you think.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 11:29:50 pm »
Rhodok Cliffside Castle is updated too. Moved thhe flag to the lower ground, changed the spawns and messed with other stuff.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »
Okay, looks good.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »
Well, actually if i think about it, is there any chance you can just lower the whole keep area so you don't have to walk so many stairs up? Or at least make the flag more accessible from the keep itself. I'm afraid people spawning on top of the keep will have trouble getting down when the flag is under attack :3

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 09:05:10 pm »
lowering that keep is a pain in the ***, already tried. i would have to lower the battlement too, and therefore all the walls along.

I can remove the spawns from the keep, make the defenders spawn on the battlement facing towards the flag, looking at it right away gives the sensation of a short distance, even if its not.
Or put the spawns on the ground, off the walls, just at the right distance to the flag.