Poll

Do you think that modifying textures or sounds to make the game easier is cheating?

Yes
No
I don't care

Author Topic: Cheating textures  (Read 8878 times)

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating textures
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:41 pm »
+1
As a colorblind person, I sure as hell do. The brown of the wood over the green of grass is not that visible for me. Same for metal over a majority of the wall textures.

Same.  Also invisible is the newer method of displaying arrows in flight; and metal textures when there's a lot of fog.  When there's heavy fog a tincan with a sword may as well be some anime ninja.  Can't fight them.  Can't even follow their movements.

Do you use alternate textures btw? I solved the metal-over-stone issue with the "realistic colors 1.22" mod; the spear/pike issue with finalboss' texture pack; and the arrow issue, mostly, by switching back to flying_missile (native look).  Can't do shit about the fog though.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2013, 04:33:21 pm »
+1
As a colorblind person, I sure as hell do. The brown of the wood over the green of grass is not that visible for me. Same for metal over a majority of the wall textures.

Someone (yes I know someone) should design a color-blind texture pack :)
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2013, 11:26:49 pm »
I might just be color blind, im having this aswell, weapons just matching wall textures..
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 12:15:53 am »
So do you consider it cheating if you brought up the visibility to the same level as non colorblind person has it?

I honestly don't know the kind of visibility a non-colorblind person has. I mean, how could I ? Some games likes BF3 make a very good work of being colorblindness "compliant" by changing the color of some icons, but it's never about the actual game screen, which is usually fine. In BF3 playing the normal version can be pretty infuriating, as the color of your squad is extremely close to that of the enemy team for people with red-green deficiencies.

Same.  Also invisible is the newer method of displaying arrows in flight; and metal textures when there's a lot of fog.  When there's heavy fog a tincan with a sword may as well be some anime ninja.  Can't fight them.  Can't even follow their movements.

Do you use alternate textures btw? I solved the metal-over-stone issue with the "realistic colors 1.22" mod; the spear/pike issue with finalboss' texture pack; and the arrow issue, mostly, by switching back to flying_missile (native look).  Can't do shit about the fog though.

I never really cared enough to start modding my game in order to improve the constrasts. I only clearly die to this like once every four maps. Maybe I'll try this though, thanks.

Someone (yes I know someone) should design a color-blind texture pack :)

Too bad Final Boss vanished :(

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2013, 12:59:16 am »
+4
The hash check is performed on the files on your hdd

No.

and yeah, ofc one could easily randomize the position of those files in the ram by using features in win 7/win 8)

If you're talking about ASLR, you have no idea what you're talking about. If you aren't, I have no idea what you're talking about.

But I guess whitelisting mods will be the best solution - for melee. shit wont happen with crpg, after all the modability of warband is what got us crpg in the first place.

Actually, it will.

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:52 pm »
Waiting for it since August 2012

edit: And I think I've been waiting even longer for speed bonus for mounted projectiles while we're at it...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 12:55:08 am »
edit: And I think I've been waiting even longer for speed bonus for mounted projectiles while we're at it...

You don't seem very well informed. The speed bonus fix is up and running on test servers (EU1, EU2, NA1).

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 01:09:29 am »
Not sure how all of these "altered file detection" methods you're all discussing would work, but I for one would not be able to play if they were implemented. Do I have any of the cheat mods you're discussing? No. But I don't use a single item that I haven't modified somehow, visually. Is it for a benefit? Yes. The benefit of looking awesome. If I got banned for that in some blanket sweep, I'd move on without a second thought.

Offline Spleen

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:10 pm »
You don't seem very well informed. The speed bonus fix is up and running on test servers (EU1, EU2, NA1).

I cant find any mention of mounted projectiles being fixed in the wse2 changelogs - or do the test servers have their own changelog?

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2013, 05:35:40 pm »
+1
It has been active since the initial build of the test server (before the WSE2 client changelogs).

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
How do I get this?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Spleen

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2013, 09:30:17 pm »
Well done cmp.

btw: some of the legal texture change mods (realistic colors, calradia in darkness) also change the flora_kinds.txt (but only if you want the different grass, afaik its optional)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »
Actually, it will.

Alright, rule Melee: Battlegrounds with an iron fist - I just won't play it - but leave Warband alone. Seriously, its malleability is literally what makes it special, and if you can't see that then I don't know how the hell you got into modding it to begin with. The fact that we can alter this game as we please makes it more fun for us, and yes, makes your job (keeping the game fun) much, much easier. As someone once put it, some of us (those with slight know-how) can make our own eye-candy, instead of bothering you for it. Does that mean nothing to you?

Gmnotutoo wanted a unicorn, so I made the Courser into a unicorn for him. NuberT wanted a new look for his Long Maul, and I made it for him. Nazgull wanted the new Leather Scale Armor, but without the perma-hood (which makes it so that you're wearing two hoods if you put on headgear). I made it for him. That's three players whose personal experiences improved, at no time-cost to the Dev team. Add all the crap I've made for myself and you've got an easy 4. Add everyone who has downloaded the Naked Mesh I've made (assuming they liked it) and you've got, well, even more than that.

Are there lots of players doing this kind of thing for the community? Probably not. But I'm not alone. I mean, look at what Korgoth is doing - people love his new textures.

Kill this source of new life and you will kill the mod, at least for me - or at least seriously wound it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:49:37 pm by Commodore_Axephante »

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2013, 11:22:01 pm »
+1
Alright, rule Melee: Battlegrounds with an iron fist - I just won't play it - but leave Warband alone.

Don't worry, it will only apply to cRPG.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2013, 12:09:55 am »
Don't worry, it will only apply to cRPG.
Just don't forget that files should be checked after game started. If it will be the Launcher check(like with banners now) ppl still will be able to replace files after launcher opens the start game menu.