Author Topic: Revive Hoplites Duel chances: overhead strike?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Anita_Henjaab

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Revive Hoplites Duel chances: overhead strike?
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:05:45 am »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Revive Hoplites Duel chances: overhead strike?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:18:43 am »
+7
fuck no
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:21:21 am »
+3
Dont duel with it, sheath shield and fight.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Andy

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Snow_King
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:29:09 am »
I do think that hoplites could use an overhead stab. I mean, if you do ever see one, just downblock, and boom, you're invulnerable. Nothing OP, just a weak, overhead stab to change it up some.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:39 am »
+9
Hi,

As everyone knows, a hoplite (spear AND shield) is near to impossible on the duel server.

It is not a dueling class, Long Mauls too are worthless weapons when fighting an equally skilled opponent, but good god do they gank people really well in battle.

Stop fitting square pegs in round holes. If you find yourself one VS one, put away your shield.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:22:24 am »
+2

It is not a dueling class, Long Mauls too are worthless weapons when fighting an equally skilled opponent, but good god do they gank people really well in battle.

Stop fitting square pegs in round holes. If you find yourself one VS one, put away your shield.

Although I do agree with you, have you ever seen civilian duel? Shit was fucking scary to watch. Of course he hasn't played in ages and I'm sure the spin nerf would hurt him a lot.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:27:06 am »
+2
Although I do agree with you, have you ever seen civilian duel? Shit was fucking scary to watch. Of course he hasn't played in ages and I'm sure the spin nerf would hurt him a lot.

Yes I have, and this would be a good point when I point out the "equal skill" example in my post. Civilian was a very deadly player regardless of the weapon he had in his hands, and while he was rather scary as a hoplite he was still even scarier when he put his shield away. I just don't see the reason why the OP can justify adding an extra attack direction to a hoplite when it is deadly enough as is. One attack direction can certainly still be deadly in a duel, Hill is proof enough of that, but I certainly don't want to see more attack directions added for hoppies or longspears/pikes, as the more attack directions you add the more unpredictable/deadly you become.

Thinking of people like Civilian or Hill having more attack directions certainly would be hilarious, though.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:45 am »

Yes I have, and this would be a good point when I point out the "equal skill" example in my post. Civilian was a very deadly player regardless of the weapon he had in his hands, and while he was rather scary as a hoplite he was still even scarier when he put his shield away. I just don't see the reason why the OP can justify adding an extra attack direction to a hoplite when it is deadly enough as is. One attack direction can certainly still be deadly in a duel, Hill is proof enough of that, but I certainly don't want to see more attack directions added for hoppies or longspears/pikes, as the more attack directions you add the more unpredictable/deadly you become.

Thinking of people like Civilian or Hill having more attack directions certainly would be hilarious, though.

Like I said, I agree with you that giving hoplites/long spears more attack directions would be dirty and overpowered. I just went off on a tangent about the good old days of watching civi duel as a hoplite.

I wouldn't be totally against longspears/pikes getting their old overhead back if they made it 4 slots and was unable to block though.

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:02:36 am »

I wouldn't be totally against longspears/pikes getting their old overhead back an overhead stab if they made it 4 slots and was unable to block though.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34:49 am »
http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/hoplite-gameplay-video/
Watch this)
Hoplites are pretty good in duels for a class that isn't supposed to duel at all.

Offline Aethelwolf

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 8
  • Mercenaries
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Aethelwolf
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:36 am »
It depends. They have only stab which is difficult for them but I've seen people on the top of the scorebord that were hoplites. For example Wolves_QuisUtDeus is hell of a good hoplite. He was destroying people there. Sooooo...no. I wouldn't add overhead for hoplites.
Aethelwolf, son of Uhtred, rightful owner of the Bebbanburg castle

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
+2
Having two stabs would be OP as fuck, because the animations are going to look somewhat a like. I already sometimes see people doing overhead blocks when I do a stab while moving my camera down from a very high angle. Now imagine doing an overhead stab with down to up movement and doing a low stab with up and down movement. People's brains will explode.

Now I do in fact support a rework of spear and shield mechanics for the new game, so they are harder to block, but that would also require that they would be completely unable to hit unless the tip of the spear actually enters the opponent with some force, which is never going to happen in cRPG.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:22:15 am »
+4
I don't want to -1 the new guy's first post, but most of these sound plain horrible.

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:52:26 am »
Hi,

As everyone knows, a hoplite (spear AND shield) is near to impossible on the duel server.

I stopped here.

No. Yeh Hoplite is harder to duel with compared to 2H but it's nowhere near impossible. learn2lolstab

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall