Author Topic: throwing lances nerffed to much  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: throwing lances nerffed to much
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:00:14 am »
But you can block/dodge them.

Throwing is depending mostly on luck. You can't block/dodge it w/o shield AND they 1hit 90 percent of cRPG population.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 12:05:06 am »
I don't think throwing lances are 1hit kills with the new stats.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:01:19 am »
Are you kidding me? Extended nerfing of anti cav weapons? Point me out one please:
- Throwing weapons are not anti cav weapons, so not to be taken into account.
They actually are pretty good anti-cav weapons, and they certainly should be taken into account.  Post-patch they generally cost more, do less, and their nerfing is the very reason for this thread!
- Pike didn't get a nerf at all.
Except that it can't be carried off-hand and so, now, most pikes require a dedicated pikeman to carry them.  This has dramatically reduced the number of pikemen and thus removes the primary check on aggressive cavalry.
- Long Pike was added.
I have yet to see a single long pike.  Probably because it requires a dedicated pikeman to wield it effectively (see^)
- Archers got buffed
In some ways, yes, but it's also way harder to be an archer and engage effectively in close-combat.  Quite the incentive to archer now isn't it?  No.  The patch isn't nearly so black and what as you seem to suppose.
etc.[/color]

fix'd

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 03:27:18 am »
I don't think throwing lances are 1hit kills with the new stats.
no... they cant.... am high pt, i cant 1 shot shit... and since they rasied the str on most weapons people have even more hp....
over nerffed... there is little to no up side for throwing, none if your throwing jarids and down

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:32 am »
Am I the only person that uses a throwing lance for a hoplite character? Use the lance as a spear till the end game, then start looking for a dangerous tincan to throw at?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 08:31:53 am »
fix'd

Oh diomedes. If we were to meet in person, I'm pretty sure I would leg-hump you! Its like you type exactly whats on my mind!

+1
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:55:08 am »
Am I the only person that uses a throwing lance for a hoplite character? Use the lance as a spear till the end game, then start looking for a dangerous tincan to throw at?
I did for a while prepatch. best role-playing hoplite character.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 09:42:22 am »
Meh of you wanna kill cav take a pike. Throwing lances were for trolling. You dont need to be a dedicated pikeman to use a pike. Just drop it to use your melee weapon then go grab it when the fight is over.

Just stops yoj pulling a pike out your arse.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:45:06 am by Casimir »
Turtles

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »
Throwing lances just needed to be removed.  But IF they were nerfed to hell that's a start.  Throwing needed to get beat down by the nerf bat like a white kid in the ghetto.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 04:35:52 pm »
Throwing lances just needed to be removed.  But IF they were nerfed to hell that's a start.  Throwing needed to get beat down by the nerf bat like a white kid in the ghetto.

lool +1

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 06:37:28 pm »
diomedes, when you say a dedicated pikeman...do you mean a dedicated polearm guy?
Cuz iv got a dedicated polearm wpf and i use pike, rack up a good amount of kills but actually suck duelling with it!
I dont think you need to be a dedicated pikeman to use a pike...

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
fix'd
How are they good anti cav weapons? They are way too slow to hit us from afar. Plus they won't stop me hitting your head.

News flash: we can't switch to sidearms either without dropping our most important weapon: the lance. Pikes can be used by anyone atm, even without wpf. Only change is that they drop it, just like us, when switching to a sidearm.

Long pike isn't numerous because people don't like the speed, yet I've seen players use it well enough.

Archers are one of the worst things I can encounter on my horse, as well as crossbowmen. They can kill my horse in a matter of seconds.

I still don't see why people use cav counter as an argument. Who says the devs intended throwing as a counter to us? It's clear that throwing is to be used as an infantry sidearm to counter other ranged classes.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 06:07:00 am »
Couple of issues here.

Throwing lances (henceforth listed as TL) were the perfect ranged horse counter. Hitting infantry with them is a dice-roll, but a horse coming at you easily fits inside your crosshairs.  I seriously think you have some sort of God-complex when you use statements like "Plus they won't stop me from hitting your head." I can't speak for EU throwers, but NA throwers were great counters for cavalry.

Secondly, if you are on a horse, you don't need a side-arm. Side-arms are used in a situation that you are trapped or stuck in beyond your control, and your primary weapon is not effective. Because horses have insanely high speed, they can pick the cream of the crop of situations. Once you are dehorsed, well you probably won't need your lance anyway at that point. Having a lance drop when you switch weapons isn't much of a drawback.

Pikes and throwing lances, however, suffer from this greatly. Pikes cannot pull out a shield to cover themselves from archer fire, and throwing lances are pretty weak choices for melee. Granted, they did get a melee damage improvement, they still wouldn't be my first pick as a weapon. Because you are so slow on foot, you're going to be put in a situation where you have to fight your way out when you would like to run away.

Offline Taggerung

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 08:12:37 am »
Throwing is useless even as a dedicated build now, not just because of these but because EVERY throwing weapon got nerfed, and nerfed hard.

Thanks chadz for being an idiot and giving into the massive amount of Tin can two hand spammers!

Jackass.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 08:14:00 am »
its far from useless tagg.