Author Topic: Progression from 32 -> 35 ... suggestions? (18/24 shielder)  (Read 2240 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Progression from 32 -> 35 ... suggestions? (18/24 shielder)
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:35:36 am »
+1
Here is my build at level 32:

STR 18
AGI 24

Power Strike: 6
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Weapons Master: 1

120 One Handed WPF, 3 points of WPF leftover

I am really enjoying agile shielder infantry. However, I am just not as effective in strat battles compared to STR shielders if I fight in line formations with them. In both battle and strategus, I am vulnerable to cavalry. Going from 32-35 I could increase my STR or AGI by 3 points and reach the next tier of skills. However, I go plenty fast, my shield never breaks before I die, and I hit hard enough to take players down in a satisfactory fashion. I feel that my best bet is to  pump all stats/skills into weapons master and picking up either polearm or crossbow. Either one would help vs cav, but I am leaning slightly towards crossbow since it would provide more versatiliity in strategus fights.

What do you recommend? Why? I have ignored iron flesh for many gens now, and due to the fact that I usually wear light mail or less for armor, I feel that it would be a poor investment in non-strategus battles. If anyone else has taken a build like this past 32, I would love you hear your recommendations and anecdotes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
Re: Progression from 32 -> 35 ... suggestions? (18/24 shielder)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:13:48 am »
I'd recommed to get 6 IF at lvl 34, then 4 WM at lvl 35.
Use short high-damaging blunt/pierce weapons, abuse speedbonus, hit the head and damage will be just fine I guess.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
Getting 6 IF at level 34 will be much faster than getting something at level 35. I am considering the 6 IF route. A couple others in TS and steam told me the same.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:44:05 am »
WM is underrated. Max that bitch or take it to 7 in the next two levels for 1h and the extra speed and damage will make you murderous. IF is fine too, but you're not built for strength.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:42 am »
Here is what im going for:

Strength: 24
Agility: 18
Hit points: 71
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 6
Power Strike: 8
Shield: 6
Athletics: 6
One Handed: 120

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 11:45:31 am »
+2
What do you recommend? Why? I have ignored iron flesh for many gens now, and due to the fact that I usually wear light mail or less for armor, I feel that it would be a poor investment in non-strategus battles. If anyone else has taken a build like this past 32, I would love you hear your recommendations and anecdotes.

Currently

(click to show/hide)

Trying to figure out what exactly to do at the big 35. I'll possibly adding another proficiency into the mix (either Two Handed or Crossbow) myself.

I'd say that while Crossbow proficiency adds versatility, Polearms in and of themselves are much more diverse in form and function, and would lean towards getting that next. Though.. even with just 7 WM, which you could get by 34, you could have a 120/108/98 split between three disciplines (@ 35 120/116/112). For 33, you'll find yourself at 120/93, which isn't terrible for Crossbow accuracy and adds a decent amount of average/min damage for polearms. I recommend using a STF to dink around with prof- PS/ATH identical to build, experimental prof values only, just leave out your 1h (80 crossbow? 100 polearm?).

If your main concern is the threat which cavalry poses to you, then go Polearm (first). Hoplite is incredibly fun for how simple it is, and having some Polearm proficiency actually offers a pretty absurd amount of variety in Battle and Strat. Just look at the shop page for Polearms compared to Two Handed or One Handed. You've got some pretty long knockdown weapons, lots of non-Unbalanced axes (one of which doubles as the longest blunt weapon), the longest pokey thing in the game, Staves, Spears, 2-directional weapons the list goes on. Shieldbreakers, Anti-Cav, even a token Crushthrough and some rad Knockdown gear- in terms of a variety of playstyles afforded by a group of weapons, Polearms are ahead.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:50:25 am by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
My suggestion to get from 32 to 35? Play all day err'day
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »
+1
To deal with cav on battle and strat just spawn with a light lance, fauchard or bamboo spear. You don't need wpf to rear a horse and hurt it bad stabbing into legs.

Drop it as you head into melee and pick it up later if you're alive after.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »
Taking into consideration which side you're almost always on in strat battles, I reckon that polearm wpf would be damn handy if you're half-decent with a longspear or pike. Damned red cavalry rampaging through our lines the entire battle. I wouldn't say that you'd even need wpf to simply rear cavalry with a bamboo/fauchard in hoplite mode, but to wield a pike/LS, you're going to want some polearm proficiency.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:55 pm »
The +3 ashwoods and +3 light lances have pretty good speed even without wpf I use them all the time.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:53 pm »
I say get +3 STR and then get 1 PS and 2 WM then just buy a fauchard and use it as anti-cav.

Alternatively you could just convert all the attribute points into skill points giving you 9 skill points ( 3 for leveling and 6 for converting ). Then you can max out your WM and get IF if you want.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:23:12 am »
+3
go for 8 WM and pump it ALL into 1h like a boss! that is how i rolled!

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »
I keep putting points into WM hoping they will buff it soon (like they've been saying for like 2 years), only to regret it and wish I'd put the points in IF instead. With the current valour system, all a shielder needs to get valour with decent frequency is to be near the action and alive. Athletics ensures the former, IF ensures the latter.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:09:13 pm »
+1
You don't need polearms to down horses as a one hand, you just need to sidestep and right swing. But the long pointy sticks do help if you are not confident in doing that. Best part is, most cav will just leave you alone because noballs.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »
+1
get IF or get more agility. at least i would to that. 8 shield is too much,i would rather roll with 5 or 6 and 1 wm is also bad investment.
Get max wm or none,spending 2 or 3 points in wm will not make any difference.