Author Topic: Critical damage: the future of tactics.  (Read 859 times)

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
Critical damage: the future of tactics.
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »
I love this game because it rewards teamwork, especially on strategus. I've played VikingR and it has this nifty thing where if you hit someone in the back, they take bonus damage. what a LOVELY concept, catching someone completely defenseless (kiting archers, flanking enemy, riding down runners/people with lancofobia) actually rewards you and your team with oh... 25-45% bonus damage when hit in the back? this would apply to arrows to, archers :P

Imagine the possibilities.

- hitting kiting archers
- flanking foes and decimating those caught unaware
- couching from behind is more effective, especially for the people who run away from lances.
- archers who are aiming for that one running guy holding the multiplier hostage get a 1 or 2 shot kill
- tactics are more encouraged in strat battles,  particularly in coordinating divisions. as it is right now, shield wall, charge, cav start bumping people, rinse and repeat.
- punishes people who aren't aware of their surroundings.

as an extension of this, shields on back that block arrows should not take damage. there is another thread on this i tend to agree with, but only if something like this were implemented.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Re: Critical damage: the future of tactics.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 05:59:58 pm »
im not sure, it would surely nerf me as i tend to run through groups and get glance hits in the back only. however, i like the concept. it indeed rewards flanking moves.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:05:47 pm »
+4
No thanks, if you get to hit an enemy from behind you can easily do massive damage on one swing. You have time to hold your swing to get some bonus damage, aim for the head and maybe even jump to max out the speedbonus. Possibly the overall damage bonus can reach over 100% if you know what you're doing. Your enemy will take devastating damage + he won't see your next attack, so most likely he'll do a side block when turning around. Because of this your next attack should be an overhead or thrust. Once again you have good chances on hitting him to the head for bonus damage.

Also, there is no realism in a bonus damage like that. A dagger to the chest hurts just as much as a dagger to the back. Actually, since human has reduced feeling of pain on his back, players should have reduced stun time when hit to the back  :lol:

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:24:26 pm »
No thanks, if you get to hit an enemy from behind you can easily do massive damage on one swing. You have time to hold your swing to get some bonus damage, aim for the head and maybe even jump to max out the speedbonus. Possibly the overall damage bonus can reach over 100% if you know what you're doing. Your enemy will take devastating damage + he won't see your next attack, so most likely he'll do a side block when turning around. Because of this your next attack should be an overhead or thrust. Once again you have good chances on hitting him to the head for bonus damage.

Also, there is no realism in a bonus damage like that. A dagger to the chest hurts just as much as a dagger to the back. Actually, since human has reduced feeling of pain on his back, players should have reduced stun time when hit to the back  :lol:

that is true, but you have alot more between an attack and the front side of someone. you have arms, weapons, and most of the armor is USUALLY in the front. it doesnt have to be a massive bonus, but there should be something for being caught completely defenseless, hence the bonus suggestion, to each his own though.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:32 pm »
+1
Learn to get a free held attack of .6 seconds for +50% damage.  They don't see it so if you can master that it's free and quite critical. 

Arrows in the back doing extra damage?   No.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:52:45 pm »
+1
Learn to get a free held attack of .6 seconds for +50% damage.  They don't see it so if you can master that it's free and quite critical. 

Arrows in the back doing extra damage?   No.
The bonus for a perfect held attack is actually 25%. I thought it was 50% a long while back, but I had missed a line in the damage formula.

A multiplicative 25% bonus is still huge, however.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:04:47 pm by Vodner »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:26:14 pm »
+1
What about them agi 2h's and those circle spam 1h's that spin round to hit you in the back anyway?

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:19 pm »
How about critical hit chance, like you have a very small chance to do a critical hit on an enemy based on your wpf ( or PS? ). It does like 15% more damage.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:35 pm »
+1
How about critical hit chance, like you have a very small chance to do a critical hit on an enemy based on your wpf ( or PS? ). It does like 15% more damage.
That works in point and click games, but in this game you already have speed bonus, held attacks and sweetspots that effectively do that.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:51 pm »
No. This would simply make a 90% chance of dying to a hit from behind to 100% chance. (except for the biting fly arrows of course, those still wouldn't kill you  :P )
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:29 pm »
Imma respect to a 9-30 rondel dagger build......see where I'm going with this?

It's all kinds of bad.

Offline Sylfirus

• Knight
  • Renown: 73
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pas
  • IRC nick: Pas
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
...this would apply to arrows to, archers :P

Imagine the possibilities.

- hitting kiting archers
- flanking foes and decimating those caught unaware
- couching from behind is more effective, especially for the people who run away from lances.
- archers who are aiming for that one running guy holding the multiplier hostage get a 1 or 2 shot kill
- tactics are more encouraged in strat battles,  particularly in coordinating divisions. as it is right now, shield wall, charge, cav start bumping people, rinse and repeat.
- punishes people who aren't aware of their surroundings.

as an extension of this, shields on back that block arrows should not take damage. there is another thread on this i tend to agree with, but only if something like this were implemented.

Archers already have critical strike...
Couching from behind is already very effective...
Critical strike can be very annoying : Imagine how ninjas would rules the world after that  :lol:

This would involve a game more annoying as it is right now
Definitely no for me...

But for the last thing you sayd about shields . I totally agree

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:02 pm »
You can already sneak up on someone and deliver a 1) held strike 2) to the head 3) with full speed bonus, and follow up with a kick. If that doesn't kill them, then well, that's their prize for wearing heavy-ass armor and having a ton of ironflesh.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »
Well I find it kinda sad that backstabbing tanks doesn't bring a very big advantage.

What about adding that only to all daggers, and only on stabs ? Could nerf the rondel in the same update.