Author Topic: Shields on back block arrows  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Shields on back block arrows
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »
Unless something has changed since May, the bonus should still be in effect.

It's easy enough to test. Go to duel, grab a steel shield and some heavy armor, then put the shield on your back. Have an archer friend fire a couple rounds into the shield. The arrows should either glance, or do almost no damage. If that's not the case, then something has changed.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:18 pm »
This feature was removed from cRPG a very long time ago, and for a good reason (I guess).

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »
Two board shields = arrow invulnerability.

Would only even be considerable if hits to your back broke the shield on your back and even then, no.

Actually, this ties into a long time desire to see more tactics in the game.  BACK DAMAGE IS BUFFED 25-45%. hitting kiting archers in the back, running stragglers, people afraid of your lance, a unobservant enemy.... why hasnt this been added? i actually will probably make a thread about this.

more to the point, noone serious is going to carry 2 board shields, and as for people who want to turtle with lesser shields, more power to them. they'll just get decimated once it breaks, as alot of people use axes or other polearms that have bonus to shield anyway.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 09:04:44 pm »
its a good idea but it would fuck everything up for archers, i mean you will get polearmers and 2Hers just running to the archer backwards so the archer will not be able to do anything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 11:08:42 pm »
its a good idea but it would fuck everything up for archers, i mean you will get polearmers and 2Hers just running to the archer backwards so the archer will not be able to do anything.
If they have a shield, wouldn't they want to gain extra shieldforce by holding it in hands and just charge archers? For some reason I can't see why inf would charge backwards... You can always shoot them in the feet and head cuz shield isn't placed vertically on a back. Also on a back there is no shield force and stuff... Imho it's cewl idea.

Skyrim UI

Offline Silveredge

• Count
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 41
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Silveredge
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 12:11:08 am »
Kind of silly to think of a melee character just turning around every time a ranged character shoots at them.

However, I would be all for this if they removed the massive invisible shield that protects shielders.  Being a good shot, I would love it if shots to the forehead actually counted (please put the higher chance to penetrate shields with crossbows back in).  Honestly I think removing the invisible shieldwall would tip the favor too much towards ranged, balance wise.  So I'm sure the back block won't be approved and the invisible shieldwall that protects horse's chests will remain in the game.

They could make it to where shielders standing next to each other getting the +shield message get levels of the invisible wall back, to balance it out.  Would probably still not be balanced enough for non teamwork situations though(for our audience).

Also, shots that would have been a headshot should do a small amount of damage to the shield.  Because usually anything less than an Arbalest does almost no damage to a good shield.  Think of all the times you've seen a shield with tons of arrows/bolts in it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:18:50 am by Silveredge »

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »
The fact is shields on backs didnt stop the full damage of arrows as the arrow would penetrate the shield and as it was held on the body would puncture flesh.

But... I would love to see the arrows stay in the shield like in native! Damage is irrelevant its the visual that really matters.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 02:24:23 pm »
I would like to see something like this in Crpg, although it will be exploited to the point of making people quit.  Imagine a turtle on a plated charger.  It would be the slowest/most frustrating game.   Even more so then Horse Archers.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »
+1
Two board shields = arrow invulnerability.

That is, simply put, not true. As an archer myself, shooting shielders, 90 % of the arrows will come in from the side, not the back, not the front. 2 board shields wouldn't help, it would only make them slower and easier to headshot... :wink:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 03:11:23 pm »
Even if it worked, a shield on your back reduces your speed and nimbleness horribly. This would only be a decent investment for people that are already (very) slow or cavalry.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
I don't know, so please don't beat me, but aren't board shields always 2 slot? So someone with 2 board shields could be difficult to kill, but wouldn't pose a threat either.

I think the idea is worth giving it a go. I don't think many people will take a shield only for protecting their back, anyway.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »
As long as you move like a turtle! Give it a go  :mrgreen:

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »
+3
As long as you move like a turtle! Give it a go  :mrgreen:

What Crpg will turn into...

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:33 pm »
Kind of silly to think of a melee character just turning around every time a ranged character shoots at them.

However, I would be all for this if they removed the massive invisible shield that protects shielders.  Being a good shot, I would love it if shots to the forehead actually counted (please put the higher chance to penetrate shields with crossbows back in).  Honestly I think removing the invisible shieldwall would tip the favor too much towards ranged, balance wise.  So I'm sure the back block won't be approved and the invisible shieldwall that protects horse's chests will remain in the game.

They could make it to where shielders standing next to each other getting the +shield message get levels of the invisible wall back, to balance it out.  Would probably still not be balanced enough for non teamwork situations though(for our audience).

Also, shots that would have been a headshot should do a small amount of damage to the shield.  Because usually anything less than an Arbalest does almost no damage to a good shield.  Think of all the times you've seen a shield with tons of arrows/bolts in it.

I remember briefly being able to shoot shielders in the foot area, but it appears they have removed that as well. There is nothing more infuriating as an archer/xbowman than to aim for a shielder's exposed head and then see your bolt lodged into nothing, floating 5-10 inches above a shield.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Silveredge

• Count
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 41
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Silveredge
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 08:53:01 pm »
I remember briefly being able to shoot shielders in the foot area, but it appears they have removed that as well. There is nothing more infuriating as an archer/xbowman than to aim for a shielder's exposed head and then see your bolt lodged into nothing, floating 5-10 inches above a shield.

Yeah, it forces it to hit the very top of the shield or the very bottom of the shield, so you can see your ranged ammunition of choice sticking out of the very edge of the shield.