Author Topic: The Rapier Build  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Mr Dinkywinky

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The Rapier Build
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:14 pm »
Ok so Ive been playing around with some builds I could come up with. I was inspired to try this from Ricard`s set in Dark Souls. It has very little health but is very fast (and annoying to your opponent). My build is,

Strength 18
Agility 22

One handed 163
Two Handed 6

Weapon Master 7
Athletics 7
Iron Flesh 4
Shield 5

If you have any comments/improvements let me know its a very flexible build and Ive been changing it around quite often, this is just the latest version.

For my equipment I use,

Side Sword
2 Buckler Shields

Chapel de fer with padded coif
Heavy Aketon
Green and Purple Hose

And that`s it! My strategy for this is to dodge the enemy attacks and jump in with a quick thrust than jump back, the buckler is a safety net and I try to use it quite rarely as it breaks very often. The important thing is to not get hit as your armoury might take a hit if your lucky. That` for checking it out if you have any comments/improvements to this let me know!

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: The Rapier Build
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:20:52 pm »
no powerstrike?
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »
+2
Always max out your powerstrike with a melee build. 0 powerstrike isn't going to hurt armored opponents most of the time. Also, 22 agility doesn't really get you anything that you can't get with 21.

If you want a level 30, 8 skill conversion 1h/shield build, then you have to sacrifice either WM or IF (or some of each). If you want both, then you need to either do a 2 conversion build, or you need to level past 30.

Also, carrying two shields severely gimps your movement speed. The penalty is far greater than double the penalty of a single shield.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:26:32 pm by Vodner »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:51 pm »
+3
Don't 2 bucklers get you the dreadful speed penalty that having a shield on your back as well as one in your hand gives you normally?

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:27:57 pm »
+1
Yeah, you need powerstrike.  Otherwise you will float like a butterfly and sting like a butterfly.

Also, as previously mentioned, make sure your str and agility are in multiples of 3.  22 agi is a waste of a point. 

Offline Nasha

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter Nashius, Nashius_IV
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:29:29 pm »
I would always have powerstrike over ironflesh in a shield build. Would this not be better:

(click to show/hide)

Or you could try - 15/21

Level: 30

Strength: 15
Agility: 21

Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 5
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7

One Handed: 165

Another variation of this build would be to take 2 points from Ironflesh and put them into Shield, you'd have slightly less HP but your shield would be stronger.

I would also recommend using a blunt or pierce damage weapon instead of a cut damage weapon with a low strength/powerstrike build :D

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:32:53 pm »
+2
Strength: 18
Agility: 21

Power Strike: 4
Shield: 5
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7
He may as well go 12/27 or 12/24 rather than this. Or go with the 15/21 build you posted, which is solid.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:54 pm »
I would recommend going IF 0 and Shield 3. With shield 3 you can use the "Round Steel Buckler" and agibuilders cant really stick points into IF to be competitive trust me. Also since you said you want to rarely use the buckler and getting shield 3 maximum is the perfect way to go. IF is pointless if you going for such weak defence providing armor as "heavy aketon". IF is mainly for heavy armor types. Try to put most of the remaining skillpoints into PowerStrike. Without Powerstrike atleast 5, you wont really kill anyone with 1h. Even with PS 5 you still mainly rely on speedbonus and even than its not as competitive and useful as you might think.

Good luck!

Offline Mr Dinkywinky

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies, yeah Ive got 21 agi not 22 sorry must have been a typo. I didnt know about the shield penalty thx for pointing that out! The whole point of this build is to use the buckler thrusting combo, at first I played it like a "typical" sword and shield and it was terrible however when i started to dodge attacks and go for quick stabs I took armoured opponents quite low.

Offline Mr Dinkywinky

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:41 pm »
+2
Thanks yeah Ive noticed now if is useless on a previous version of this build I had 8 ath 8 wm no if 3 shield and umm something else. it was crazy with 26 agi and 11 str!

EDIT- updated build looks strong I wonder what itll be like ingame?

Strength - 18
Agility - 21

WM -  7
Athletics - 7
Shield - 3
PS - 6

Hits harder but less durable. Im also thinking of swapping the Side sword to a Long espada. Also picked up a sneaky rondel dagger muahhaha!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:51:46 pm by Mr Dinkywinky »

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:06:04 pm »
+1
Looks good to meh. If you want moar speed go for 15/24 and ath 8. But ofcourse than the punch will be smaller.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:46 pm »
+4
Depends who you're trying to rapier.  For kids all you really need is some candy, for adults you probably need some rohypnol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mr Dinkywinky

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:52 pm »
+4
I think kids have been taught enough stranger danger and not fall for the old candy trick ;)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13:28 pm »
+1
I would recommend dropping some WM for shield skill. Get at least 5. Try the (regular, not round) steel buckler. Both bucklers really need high shield skill to shine. They will take a lot more hits before breaking and start to "catch" projectiles that would before have just hit you.

High athletics and shield, defensive play, and practice with your weapon are most important if you are playing a swashbuckler/rapier duelist type build. Give this a try and see how you like it:

15 STR
24 AGI
5 Power Strike
8 Athletics
8 Shield
2 Weapon Master or Iron Flesh
If you choose WM you will have 125 wpf. With IF, it drops to 114. Of the 2, I'd take 125 speed any day. You will die quickly if you get hit no matter what.

I am almost level 32, and my build is 18/24 1H and shield. If you want to practice and get tips on how to move and swing in battle, I wouldn't mind fighting you on the duel server.

One last tip: What armor do you wear? Anything heavier than about 20 total equipment weight is going to slow your footwork down enough that high agility and athletics is a wasted investment. Definitely carry only one shield.

edit: oh it says your equipment right there. try the long espada eslavona if you like the side sword. Or the scottish sword.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:25:39 pm by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:29 pm »
+1 to withcraft. You really don't want to be using a buckler with 3 shield skill. Shieldskill is a skill that does magic. Have to little of it and you won't get anything from it, have enough and it will do stuff not physically possible.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia