Poll

There are axes in every weapon catagory. Do you use them?

Yes, I prefer axes (primary or sidearm).
46 (52.9%)
No, I prefer dumber weapons.
41 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Axeplay - are you a fan?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
Axeplay - are you a fan?
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:39 pm »
+7
1h, 2h, pole, throwing - all four have axes. Do you use them? If so, which are your favorites?

I want to hear from archers/xbow/throwers/hybrids/shielders, you name it. I'm curious about axe builds in general - which is the best axe for any particular build?

Go!

EDIT: Here's a list of the weapons I would consider an axe, in case anyone is somehow confused:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: Axeplay - are you a fan?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:54:57 pm »
Pole Axes feel best, my fav weapons when playing pole... however I only made one generation as polearmer, prefer any other weapon class.

Throwing axes. Loved them in native, but always prefered and still prefer Javelins and Jarids over any other throwing stuff. I'm just used to them.
I like Axes style but usually I'm more into a weapon that is able to stab as well.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »
As an archer i would have to say the hatchet, its actually surprisingly good!

As a shielder, it has to be the Broad One Handed Axe, i absolutely love playing with that weapon, its a bit short but it makes up for it in damage and speed

As for 2H, the battle axe, its heavy, slow but deals tons of damage, i remember using it in strat and everyone was getting a high K/D with it, because it was such a strong weapon and was tearing the enemy apart!

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:43 pm »
Used the Iron battle axe (1h) a lot with a shield,

stats say it is slow but if you know how to feint well (1h axes are balanced) then that should not be a problem, also never had a problem with agility people.
Very good, deals great damage for a 1h weapon and capable of making short work of shields. It is also quiet heavy for a 1h weapon, dont know if weapon weight gives a bonus in combat, but in case you wondered, it has a weight value of 3.0.

Now i am back on maces again, just love knockdown

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:00:10 pm »
+2
The damage buff on axes went a long way to help make them competitive with swords, but the buff to small/quick 2h swords was not needed whatsoever.  Just compare the numbers you'll see small 2h swords outnumber axes probably 10:1.

Dont know any fulltime axe user that doesnt heavily abuse hiltslashing and even fewer polearm axe users.

Makes zero sense that the 2h axes are unbalanced but the long axes & poleaxes that weight more and are longer ARENT?  Clearly not big fans of physics.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:26 pm »
+1
The damage buff on axes went a long way to help make them competitive with swords, but the buff to small/quick 2h swords was not needed whatsoever.  Just compare the numbers you'll see small 2h swords outnumber axes probably 10:1.

Dont know any fulltime axe user that doesnt heavily abuse hiltslashing and even fewer polearm axe users.

Makes zero sense that the 2h axes are unbalanced but the long axes & poleaxes that weight more and are longer ARENT?  Clearly not big fans of physics.

Well, the polearm animations go a long way toward making them look like they're being more reasonably handled than 2h axes... but I see what you mean.

Noob Q though - what is hitslashing? And, I'm a fulltime axe user... how do I abuse it too, please?

Offline Horst_Kurmoottaja

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Ei urhot kaukaisen Pohjolan uhan eessä taipuneet!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Horst, Mamba_
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:41 pm »
+1
Axe is a proper man's weapon! Always loved animation of 2-h axes. My favorite and in heavy use is Persian battle axe. :)
Farewell my brother
Farewell my foe
May death embrace you
Your blood in the darkness flow
***PÖRKELE***

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »
Noob Q though - what is hitslashing? And, I'm a fulltime axe user... how do I abuse it too, please?

Hitting someone with the first 1/3 of the length of a 2h/polearm weapon, the area around the hilt.  Good amount of the time you can be hit without an animation even being rendered.  You can also be hit thru blocks due to sloppy collision detection.  You'll have to ask someone better at 2h/dueling than me how to do it on command, usually happens when the person is on your side instead of in front.
Works for 2h & polearm, but try it with 1h and you will bounce unless its left swing.

CMP actually had some code for WSE to adjust sweet spots for longer weapons to STOP this and instead do light blunt damage (with a wooden shaft weapon) but thats prob been over a year ago and its vaporware now.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:02 am »
I love all axes equally. Be they throwing axes, poleaxe, hallberds, longaxes, bardiches, woodcutting axes, war axes, battle axes, hatchets, whatever. I love them. They all have a use in this game. Axes are badass.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:37:21 am »
I'm glad you axed this question.

I'm most familiar with 1h axes and I like the One handed battle axe, broad one handed battle axe, and hatchet.  Hatchet > hammer for a 0 slot weapon!

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:55 am »
I'm glad you axed this question.

I'm most familiar with 1h axes and I like the One handed battle axe, broad one handed battle axe, and hatchet.  Hatchet > hammer for a 0 slot weapon!
Hand Axe is 3 cut better and 6 speed faster than hatchet and still 0 slot. Axes are epic though I don't really like unbalanced weapons (2h axes).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:54:51 am »
I prefer spears of all types, weapons of the common people. I do sometimes use axes, all the one handers, my favorite being Hand Axe which I had +3 for awhile, are pretty good (esp the high damage/weight, slower and shorter Arabian/Sarranid ones), and am a fan of Long Axe, Long Voulge, Poleaxe for polearms. Heavy Throwing Axes are ridiculously OP for the investment required to use them (44 cut base for 4 PT investment, get the fuck out of here).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:00:41 am by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:36 am »
Hand Axe is 3 cut better and 6 speed faster than hatchet and still 0 slot. Axes are epic though I don't really like unbalanced weapons (2h axes).

Oh...I think I meant the hand axe then  :oops:

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:03:43 am »
I like Crossbows and blunt weapons. I do have a +3 broad 1h battle axe cause it's awesome.

But because I'm often mounted axes and blunt weapons don't work(often) on HB, so I use swords a lot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:12:46 am »
Used two handed axe a ot during strat v3, they are decent weapons, great for the price and very efficient for 2h cav.
Turtles