Author Topic: Shortened spear build.  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Anita_Henjaab

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shortened spear build.
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:09:57 am »
+1
Hi!

I wanna try a shortened spear build (mw). As its very fast I dont think you need a lot of AGI, so the extra strength can help you get more damage... 21/15 ?
Anyone got any ideas?
how much mpf is needed...

Greets :)

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Re: Shortened spear build.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:33:38 am »
+1
you need alot of agility because of the little lenght i guess. you have to move into that distance and stab him, with the agility you can also get away quickly.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:37:17 am »
I'd advice focusing on high ath and heavily relying on jump attacks with a shortened spear, won't need more than 4ps and 0wpf + 9ath to kill efficiently with it.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:38:11 am »
The only real advantage I can see to using a shortened spear is that its low length will penalize your movement speed less than most weapons (although it's the same length as the bec, and only moderately shorter than the LWA, so that's not really a unique advantage). Also, having low ath with a short weapon can be pretty annoying at times.

I'd recommend going with a fast build, and running around poking people from behind, with as much speed bonus as you can muster.

21/15 ?
Unless you're making a hoplite build, I'd recommend going for 8 skill conversions at level 30 (15/24, 18/21, 21/18, etc).

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:40:12 am »
+1
The only real advantage I can see to using a shortened spear is that its low length will penalize your movement speed less than most weapons. Also low ath with a short weapon can be pretty annoying at times. I'd recommend going with a fast build, and running around poking people from behind, with as much speed bonus as you can muster.

Unless you're making a hoplite build, I'd recommend going for 8 skill conversions at level 30 (15/24, 18/21, 21/18, etc).
I prefer shorter 4 directional spears over the longer ones myself, it allows you to stab much closer up without having to do any major turning.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Anita_Henjaab

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:53:22 am »
Thanks a whole lot already!

I'd make it hoplite yes , with shield... Archers are firing too much to walk around naked (without shield that is) ;)

So 15/21 or even 12/24? Wont I loose a lot of damage going 3 str less and 1 PS less?

Greeets :)

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:20 am »
Having done a successful MW short spear build, and many gens of successful quarter staffing, I suggest a 18/21 build at lvl 31. Like everyone's said you need high mobility to compensate for your short reach, and without being able to use proper footwork you'll be out reached by everything except daggers.

7 Ath
5-7 WM
6 PS
3-6 IF

The goal is to get at least 150 WPF (preferably more if you plan on wearing medium-heavy armor) in polearms to get as much extra damage as possible. If you stick to 145-150 pole WPF you will have ~100 WPF left over for a secondary weapon (xbow, throwing etc). You can swap out points of WM and IF for shield/throwing/riding depending on your play style. And if you have huge brass balls you can take 6PT instead of IF and carry jarids to deal with pesky ranged/cav.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nasha

• Noble
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter Nashius, Nashius_IV
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:19 am »
I use the shortened spear on my hoplite build:

Level: 30

Strength: 12
Agility: 24

Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Weapon Master: 6

Polearm: 156

For me it is the best build, you are very quick (even with a shield) and the speed bonus you get easily makes up for the lack of strength. It doesn't take many hits but works well with medium armor and you can move in and out of battle swiftly. Plus with 8 shield skill you're not going to have much use for armor :D

You are limited to what other polearm weapons you can use if you fancy a change but weapons like the Long Spear and the Bamboo Spear are useable. Double Sided Lance is one of my favourites, it has very high damage!

If not this build, I would recommend using a different high-agility build - 15/21? It's personal preference, 12/24 is the one I would choose :)

Offline Little Lord Lollipop

• Duke
  • Renown: 582
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: Frumpty_Dumpty_ATTS
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:23 am »
3/36
12 ATH
11 WM
197 WPF

Go hard or go home.
Dear Little Lord Lollipop
You have received a warning for being a total twat.
Best Regards,
The cRPG Forum Team

Offline Anita_Henjaab

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:28:12 am »
cool!

Thanks for all your advise!!

Just one thing,

with 15 strength (21 or 24 agi) what armor , preferably how much "weight" can I put on without loosing too much speed?
same for 18 strength...

And where can I find info bout this, cos it's knowledge everyone knows but noone wrote down...

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:34 am »
The whole 'strength reduces weight movement penalty' mechanic probably doesn't exist, based on what the developers have stated.

I'd recommend making an STF for testing builds like this. Then you can freely respec that character whenever you want, and get a feel for how you want to build your main. I'd recommend trying a several different builds and armor combinations, before settling on one you like.

You probably already know this, but don't STF your main, or any alts that you have leveled. Just make a new character, and make him an STF.

Offline Nasha

• Noble
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter Nashius, Nashius_IV
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:04:24 am »
with 15 strength (21 or 24 agi) what armor , preferably how much "weight" can I put on without loosing too much speed?
same for 18 strength...

I'd say between 9 and 15 weight. Below 9, your probably not going to get anything that is strong enough to take more than 1 hit. Above 15, you might start to notice that you become slower.

The Red Tunic over Mail has worked for me well.

I'd recommend making an STF for testing builds like this. Then you can freely respec that character whenever you want, and get a feel for how you want to build your main. I'd recommend trying a several different builds and armor combinations, before settling on one you like.

This would also be a good time to try out different armors too to see which one you like the most :)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:28:27 am »
You want wpf or you wont do any damage.

6/33 max PS ath and WM

190 polearm wpf
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline pepejul

• Master-At-Arms
  • King
  • Renown: 1611
  • Infamy: 495
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • PEPE INSIDE
    • View Profile
    • http://alkislarlayasiyorum.com/icerik/60166/pepee-pepee-cok-uzuluyor
  • Faction: Pecores / Krems / hobo in the heart forever
  • Game nicks: something with PEPE inside
  • IRC nick: Pepejul
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41:57 am »
Need points in "backpedal" skill =)
I LOVE YOU, ADMINS !

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:55 pm »
Its crap, when you want to use it with shield. Would suggest using it without shield when fighting. The good thing about it is that it does alot of polestun and with the extreme speed its pretty dangerous weapon. It can basically stun enemies multible times before they understand wtf is going and are able to block something.