Author Topic: I can't decide whether to become a Steel Shielder or Arbalest Sniper.  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Hi all!

I can't decide between Steel Shielder and Arbalest Sniper.

I will have 1 free loom point soon, now what to do with it?

I could go an AGI steel shielder route, or Sniper route.

Can i go a 15/27 sniper (sacrificing any IF and Power Strike) for more WM? or are the STR skills essential? I wanted to play a more mobile sniper, running to the hiding spots quickly and taking his positions on battlefield in order to shoot down some enemies and this build has 9 more WPF to add some accuracy with the loomed Xbows.

What to choose?

Possible Builds:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Obviously the fact that I will have 1 loom point has to be taken into account. Is it better for me to just loom Arbalest or Steel Shield, or maybe try and trade loom point for +1 Arbalest/Steel Shield and a bit of gold? Is fucking with the market worth those few thousands of gold?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:12:01 am by Dravic »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: I can't decide whether to become a Steel Shielder or Arbalest Sniper.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:47 am »
+4
why on earth would you use a steel shield? its terrible; slow, heavy, poor coverage.
with 9 shield skill pretty much anything you use is going to take a god damn ogre to break...and if you are agi, even if that happens you can go loot some other dropped shield on the battlefield

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:41 am »
Well, that's my idea for life ;)

I like the look of Steel Shield, I was a dedicated Steel Shielder when i last played around year ago and it all worked well.

Offline Canderous

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:45:33 am »
I´m sorry but was the job of a shielder with 9 strenght?
U can wear only low armors, a bad onehand weapon and u make less damage against archer and no damage against heavy chars.

In my oppinion the 15/21 shielder is much better.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:43 am »
+1
15-24 is the only reliable build for a sniper. You really need some PS.

I don't have a clue about how steel shield should be used, so you better read that guide -
Lol, was about to link you your own guide rofl.  :mrgreen:
Still to me it seems 15-21 is better, or maybe even 15-24 with less WM. If you use blunt/pierce weapon, your damage would be fine while your shield would be still nearly unbreakable.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:36:59 am »
The steel shield will slow you down...  a lot, so even with very high athl you will still have a hardish time getting great speed bonuses, so I would suggest as another option 12/24 or 12/27 (intermediate ones to the ones you chose):
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

This allows you to go the kinngrimm/leoking way with steel pick, niuweidao, italian sword, elite scimitar, winged mace and some other very good weapons. I have used this build a few gens (with bucklers and heavy round shield, never used steel shield) and it is quite fun
And btw, 15/21 is in no way STR whore.

Regarding what class of both, just play with both for a while and decide which one you prefer. I for one cannot play crossbowman, but it is up to preference. Can you play being hidden most of the time and going out, shooting and then back into cover? Or do you prefer to be in the front line of the battle, tanking hits for your teammates, protecting them from ranged and smacking their faces afterwards?

For siege, steel shield comes in handy to stop those pesky maulers, while with an arbalest you choose your safe area and enjoy seeing people dying to your headshots.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »
I don't have a clue about how steel shield should be used, so you better read that guide -
Lol, was about to link you your own guide rofl.  :mrgreen:

:D

I didn't play this game for a year or so. Except for a few tries (i did try to play this game few times meanwhile but each time i had to stop after few days)...

So I decided my guide is a bit outdated ;)

But still, LMAO!

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »
Steel Sniper
My fridge is my shield

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:51 am »
Use Plate Covered Round Shield, with 6 shieldskill it's awesome and that way you can have enough STR and PS to do any damage.
24/18 or something like that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »
+1
I've done 15/30 pure arbalest for one gen. With only Athletics/Weapon Master you get almost 200 crossbow WPF. You can outrun anyone on foot and can dodge cav/ranged if you are aware of them. It is viable but runs into some trouble on open plains maps with no cover. In melee I used a blunt or pierce 1H. Cut weapons will glance even against peasant armor. Even the 22 pierce on a spiked club is deadly if you can hit people in the head. Usually you just want to block until you can sprint off and reload somewhere else. Most players will stop chasing when they realize they are not going to catch you, ever.

As far as steel shield, I did a 24/18 steel shielder infantry as well. It is amazing on siege servers but just okay in battle servers. Use a short 1H sword and you can block off hallways all by yourself.

Don't go 9 strength, that is too low to do anything useful in melee.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 09:40:47 pm »
IMHO, the one and only role of the steel shield is to troll maulers. The high weight will really reduce crushthrough chance, although strength maulers with a +3 Great Maul will probably still crush often.

Like Diggles said, any shield (especially loomed), will last a really long time with 9 shield skill. Heck, I am 6 shield skill (7 soon), and with a +3 Heavy Round or +3 Elite Cav my shield usually outlives me unless I'm stupid and go after poleaxe/morningstar users. Even if it breaks, the battlefield is always littered with shields to pick up.

There is nothing wrong with the agility shielder concept at all, it's just the steel shield nullifies most of their advantages (mobility, strength in duel situations, efficacy with picks/maces).

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:37:39 am »
I've done 15/30 pure arbalest for one gen. With only Athletics/Weapon Master you get almost 200 crossbow WPF. You can outrun anyone on foot and can dodge cav/ranged if you are aware of them. It is viable but runs into some trouble on open plains maps with no cover. In melee I used a blunt or pierce 1H. Cut weapons will glance even against peasant armor. Even the 22 pierce on a spiked club is deadly if you can hit people in the head. Usually you just want to block until you can sprint off and reload somewhere else. Most players will stop chasing when they realize they are not going to catch you, ever.

As far as steel shield, I did a 24/18 steel shielder infantry as well. It is amazing on siege servers but just okay in battle servers. Use a short 1H sword and you can block off hallways all by yourself.

Don't go 9 strength, that is too low to do anything useful in melee.

Thanks for input but 15/30 isnt possible.

Or maybe it is with no athletics and only WM, you're right.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:53 pm »
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's not possible at 30/31. At level 33 you can be 15/30 with 10 ath and 10 WM. Even 15/27 is fast enough that no one but dagger assassin builds can catch you.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:58 pm »
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's not possible at 30/31. At level 33 you can be 15/30 with 10 ath and 10 WM. Even 15/27 is fast enough that no one but dagger assassin builds can catch you.

Yeah, now just give me a year of boring gameplay with only one build/character all the time to get to that level :D

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:05:18 pm »
I got to 32 with that build in about 2 weeks. Mostly due to some really good castle defense battles on strategus (having gen 16 xp bonus helps too :P ). That's the only type of strategus battle where a pure crossbower really shines. I retired before hitting 33 because it does get boring after a while.