Author Topic: Polearms blocking view  (Read 2360 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Polearms blocking view
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:42:42 pm »
+16
Most of the time I bring a 1h as a sidearm for my bow, just like most archers probably do. There is of course the possibility to bring a 2h at the cost of one quiver and a smaller bow but you almost never see polearms as sidearms. As a 3rd person only player, this is why:

(click to show/hide)

Polearms on your back are perfectly aligned to stick right into your reticule and block your view. I like polearms a lot more than 2h weapons but I cant equip them without gimping my aim.

So, would it be possible to simply mirror the alignment for polearms on your back or just when you carry a bow ? If it would point to the upper left instead of the upper right ( like it is the case now ) I dont think it would interfere with your reticule that much.

Pro arguments would be of course more diversity on the battlefield.

And as a little extra for our anti-ranged lobbying folk:
With polearms being viable for ranged, they all would want to try it out, meaning they have to get lost of one quiver which is equal to less shit flying towards your 2h-wieldig plated ass.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Polearms blocking view
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »
+1
Bump

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »
Just drop it on the ground. Why would archers use polearms anyway... :rolleyes:

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:43 pm »
+10

I can tell you are 2h already

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:55:02 pm »
Being in love with 1h to the point of public masturbation myself, I never really had a problem with things like this.  Although, I can completely understand your point of view considering I hate 2h with a passion. 

(Except when I decide to show how easy it is to play with 2h axes on my STF)

Otherwise, a minor angle change could fix it, although then there are some pole-arms that are wide in size.  I feel that the bigger pole-arms (Axes and the lot) should continue to block view, while smaller ones like staffs and such should definitely be moved.  This is a personal opinion coming from someone who has never played with bows.  So if you disagree then there is nothing else I can say to amuse you.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:58:08 pm by Necrorave »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »
+1
Well I dont think any weapon should block your view "on purpose". If you go 1st person everything is fine, even with a glaive strapped on your back. There just happen to be some archers who play 1st and some who play 3rd person and I think it would be fair to allow both types of players to use weapons without spoiling their field of view. Its not like this would give an actual advantage, it more about taking away the unneeded disadvantage there is of now for 3. person users.

Simply mirroring the alignment of the weapon on your back would do just fine if I imagine this correctly.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »
If you go 1st person everything is fine, even with a glaive strapped on your back. There just happen to be some archers who play 1st and some who play 3rd person and I think it would be fair to allow both types of players to use weapons without spoiling their field of view. Its not like this would give an actual advantage, it more about taking away the unneeded disadvantage there is of now for 3. person users.

You are right.  Although, I was stating the idea because some larger pole-arms may need to be moved almost unaturrally to not block your view (If I am imagining right)

Once again, I am not really a bowman so it's hard for me to really picture it anyways.

My final opinion: Easy fix for smaller poles, perhaps a bit time consuming to fix ALL of them though.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »
It's too bad we're locked out of using open.brf on CRPG's .brfs. I guess it would open the door to some kind of abuse, but it is the easiest thing in the world to change weapon positions with that program. I, for one, change all of my 2h to be hip-worn, when I do singleplayer. Because in real life, you can't actually draw something off your back unless it's exceptionally small.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:23:08 pm »
You are right.  Although, I was stating the idea because some larger pole-arms may need to be moved almost unaturrally to not block your view (If I am imagining right)

Once again, I am not really a bowman so it's hard for me to really picture it anyways.

Hmm right, I should have thought of that.

Some explanation:

When your character is idling the polearm is not blocking you reticule. It just points to the upper right hand corner of the screen. Once you draw a bow however, your character twists his torso clockwise which aligns the polearm with your reticule, as shown in the picture in the OP. So I think if the polearm on your back would point to the upper left hand corner of the screen instead of right, it should no longer block your view. I dont know how complicated this is but as all polearms seem to be positioned the same way I guess its just some kind of "flag" that has to be set in order to change/fix this.

Offline Sylfirus

• Knight
  • Renown: 73
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pas
  • IRC nick: Pas
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:43:23 pm »

Because quarter staff is a very good secondary weapon for ranged !

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »
Because quarter staff is a very good secondary weapon for ranged !

Robin Hood thought so.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:38 pm »
omg yes , finally!

I jave been thinking in making this thread like since three years ago but i am too lazy,
please remove that shit from the aiming zone, I want to be a pole archer   fuuuuuuuuuuu
My fridge is my shield

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:57:02 pm »
It's too bad we're locked out of using open.brf on CRPG's .brfs. I guess it would open the door to some kind of abuse, but it is the easiest thing in the world to change weapon positions with that program. I, for one, change all of my 2h to be hip-worn, when I do singleplayer. Because in real life, you can't actually draw something off your back unless it's exceptionally small.

You're right, I mean it seems logical to have a two hander on your back instead of your waist. But imagine pulling a 4 foot sword out of scabbard off your back. Wouldn't be able to do it without grabbing the blade.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:07:22 pm »
+1
Necroing this because it seems we had some change in the dev hierarchy.

I am grinding to high lvl again so it wont be much longer until I have to decide what sidearm wpf to pick and I am taking a fancy to poles ( thats what she said lawl ). Going through the polearm page though lets me realize that most of my choices would bring up the problem stated in the OP.

Can this be adressed somehow pretty plox plz ? I would even spend a loompoint to some random, poor beggar as a sign of my gratefulness.

Offline Dalfador

• Marshall
  • Renown: 898
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the White Stallion
  • Game nicks: Dalfador
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 10:56:27 pm »
Being in love with 1h to the point of public masturbation myself, I never really had a problem with things like this.  Although, I can completely understand your point of view considering I hate 2h with a passion. 

(Except when I decide to show how easy it is to play with 2h axes on my STF)

Otherwise, a minor angle change could fix it, although then there are some pole-arms that are wide in size.  I feel that the bigger pole-arms (Axes and the lot) should continue to block view, while smaller ones like staffs and such should definitely be moved.  This is a personal opinion coming from someone who has never played with bows.  So if you disagree then there is nothing else I can say to amuse you.

(click to show/hide)

The long axes and long bardiches metal part begin at your shoulder area and the wooden shaft goes down towards your feet, they do not go into the reticule iirc.

But yes, the smaller ones do need to be moved somehow. I don't like the mirroring idea (that would just look weird after playing polearmer for so long.) , how about we just move them down 2-3 feet like the long bardiche and long axe?

Maybe some day they'll call us heroes.