Author Topic: Pikeman build. Any suggestions?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Pikeman build. Any suggestions?
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:52:23 am »
I played pikeman for a long time and now I feel like going back to it.

I was using a lvl 31, 24 18 build, but this time around Im not sure. Im thinking of 15 24 or something similar; and I will be using a 1h weapon as back up instead of a quarterstaff.

My only concern is the damage output, as the pike is not an overpowered weapon by nature. Can anyone give me some insight? (prolly someone from NA or gurnisson. I think we are the only ones who use the pike on eu, besides that guy red_pike.)

So is agi build worth it? Or should I stick with my original build?

EDIT: No I am not a guy that gets to high levels, grinding is something that kills me. I retired from 31 about a month ago and have only got to lvl 28. (no respeccs)
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
Re: Pikeman build. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:20 am »
I suggest sending a pm to Gurni  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:30:45 am »
15/24

depends on your playstyle ofcourse

edit: masterwork pike is almost a must i think. damage output of a non-loomed pike is just to low indeed

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:20 pm »
if you are worrying about damage using a SUPPORT weapon, you're doing it wrong

Best NA pikeman, Relit, is 15/24

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »
i think red pike uses a little more balanced build, and i have already seen pure str pikers doing a really good job

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:45:50 pm »
+2
i think red pike uses a little more balanced build, and i have already seen pure str pikers doing a really good job

Red Pike was 21/18 with full IF, PS and ATH. 3 WM.

I've only used 18/21 and 21/18 myself and loved them both (full IF, PS and WM). Remember that the insane length of the pike will slow you down a lot, so even if you stack agility and athletics, it doesn't mean you'll outrun most medium infantry, however it gives you more to work with in 1v1 and you're able to make more attacks overall, and cover more ground when harassing or dealing with cavalry. With more strength the survivability will be higher, of course. The damage depends on how good you're at abusing the speed bonus. Strength is nice if your timing is not the best, but the better you are, the more you can get out of the extra agility. WM stacking might be useless in other melee classes but it helps quite a bit with pikes, imo. Should go for it in your build.

I like a balanced build, but try out some with your STF before making your final decision for your main. :)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:49:26 pm »
might add that my build was chosen for my long awlpike, i can only tell that i can use both pike and long spear effectively

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:08:34 pm »
+1
Red Pike was 21/18 with full IF, PS and ATH. 3 WM.

I've only used 18/21 and 21/18 myself and loved them both (full IF, PS and WM). Remember that the insane length of the pike will slow you down a lot, so even if you stack agility and athletics, it doesn't mean you'll outrun most medium infantry, however it gives you more to work with in 1v1 and you're able to make more attacks overall, and cover more ground when harassing or dealing with cavalry. With more strength the survivability will be higher, of course. The damage depends on how good you're at abusing the speed bonus. Strength is nice if your timing is not the best, but the better you are, the more you can get out of the extra agility. WM stacking might be useless in other melee classes but it helps quite a bit with pikes, imo. Should go for it in your build.

I like a balanced build, but try out some with your STF before making your final decision for your main. :)

^ This - i have nothing else to add. Pikeman may not be fast, but he gotta be agile - with such a slow and long weapon proper positioning before attack is essential. STR pikeman may be at advantage in narrow places (the enclosed bridges on some maps) where you can't really move around and the only option is to push forward and thrust directly from behind your teammates' backs (no speed bonus), but most of times pikeman shoul benefit from WM and ath more especially now, when players are much more aware of pikers and deal with them better than 3-4 months ago.

I don't think you should worry about dmg output. Backlash did pretty good job abusing speed bonus aiming for head :D MW pike has a nice 27 pierce. I'd do a balanced build 18/21 and 21/18 aren't that different. Though if you want hardcore one you could make 21/21 with full PS and ath and 6 WM, 0 IF (31 lvl)

Offline Gloin

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gloin_Ironhammer
  • IRC nick: Gloin
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:32:27 pm »
21/18 use long spear full ps 6 atm 6 wm rest is ironflesh (for me it is useless you can go 3 riding and use rouncey too  :mrgreen: )

Hit hard, fast enough. played one gen with long spear (nearly 2:1 kd radio)

Well if you interested in pike, maybe you can go 15/24 bacause it is longer and you should move faster to stop glances...

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:42 pm »
That is where unlimited skip the funs come in, try out different set ups and pick your favourite. Not sure if this is actually true ingame, but logic dictates that a slower weapon benefits more from movement relatively. At least I notice some ridiculously high damage on longspear when me and my enemy move towards eachother and ridiculous low damage when people run away. To the extent of one shotting people with medium armour with 7 ps and 4 shotting a cloth wearing archer.

With a pike this effect should be even more pronounced so 15/24 if done right, could work, maybe. I always said to myself that I should try 12/27 longspear once, never did.

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:07 pm »
Not sure if this is actually true ingame, but logic dictates that a slower weapon benefits more from movement relatively. At least I notice some ridiculously high damage on longspear when me and my enemy move towards eachother and ridiculous low damage when people run away. To the extent of one shotting people with medium armour with 7 ps and 4 shotting a cloth wearing archer.

True it is. Pikes and ls have both ridiculous length as well as low speed (the same applies for heavy lance and the issue involving mass whining when devs increased the speed thus effectively decreasing charge damage for lancers). Can't remember how much times Gurni onehit (or took like 80% ) me when we charged each other with pikes, and he hit first. I had 5-6 IF 20+ str and 50+ body armor  :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:29:31 pm by Felix »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:40 pm »
As Diggles mentioned Relit is best NA pikeman and 15/24. He jump stabs a lot to really juice up his speed bonus so the damage is fine. A nice bonus is because of this style light armor (nothing more than low end mail) is better so you will make tonnes of gold.

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
As Diggles mentioned Relit is best NA pikeman and 15/24. He jump stabs a lot to really juice up his speed bonus so the damage is fine.

Lol i just imagined us two dueling - two pikemen charge each other and then both jump attack. Epic.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:20:22 pm »
jump spin attack is gay

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »
jump spin attack is gay

They nerfed turn rate. It works only against impatient nabs with reflexes of a sloth.