Author Topic: Lance speed  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Lance speed
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »
i think that the new lance is a bit (much) too slow. Yu have to release your attack like 3 seconds before you hit your ene,y, and during taht time alot can happen, and it is really quite annoying and unjustified imo.

Apart from the fact that the new speed makes the lance hard to use on horse, it also makes the lance impossible to use on foot... with the new item slot thing i can't carry a decent sidearm which leaves me with this lance as my only on-foot weap.
Before this patch i sometimes did the same when grinding and i could get quite a few kills, but with the -10 speed, it is really really hard to use it.

Therefore i suggest that if you don't increase the speed of the lance, tehre should be a speed-buff when lances are used on foot or something... (or the other way around; speed nerf on horse and then higher overall speed)

That would really make the lance alot more balanced

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Lance speed
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:42 pm »
  If the idea was to make cav players more helpless on foot then it worked great, although I do not see the real reason for it. Maybe the reason is to eliminate the one hit lance chain kills that the best cav players can rattle off? I can certainly see the reasoning behind that. The thrust speed has never been a problem for me on foot, since the lance seems to deliver damage the entire time it is thrusting, its the slow overhead that is the real problem.

I would suggest that if it does stay the same, that the blunt damage be increased a bunch to reflect its "heavy" feel and description.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »
anything to just make fighting on foot with lance a possibility...

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:53:45 pm »
anything to just make fighting on foot with lance a possibility...

I have always been able to fight fairly well with a lance through guile, since the enemy always assumes you will be an easy kill, once you master the point blank polearm stab (looking down and right quickly, releasing, and turning back around ) it is easier. But yes now it is all the more difficult.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:34:19 am »
I have always been able to fight fairly well with a lance through guile, since the enemy always assumes you will be an easy kill, once you master the point blank polearm stab (looking down and right quickly, releasing, and turning back around ) it is easier. But yes now it is all the more difficult.

ye, i've beeen able to kill alot too, mostly because they underestimate me... but now i can't even begin a swing after blocknig before i get hit again, that's how slow the heavy lance is.

I see no reason in putting athletics in a cav build anymore... we're no use on foot anyways as we can't carry a sidearm and our lance sucks

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:48 am »
I think you missed the point of the nerf. Afaik the goal was to reduce lancers, so other cavalry weapons are more apealing. And from the amount of whine from lance users, I'd say it works. Now they only need to realize there actually ARE weapons other than heavy lance.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:27:49 am by Nemeth »

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:48:26 am »
I think you missed the point of the nerf. Afaik the goal was to reduce lancers, so other cavalry weapons are more apealing. And from the amount of whine from lance users, I'd say it works. Now they only need to realize there actually ARE weapons other than heavy lance.

I have not seen it yet, and since most lancers have triple heirloomed lances, dont think we will.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
Well then they are stuck with useless weapon on foot, and since most of the cavalry is noobish enough to be dehorsed quite easily, they can enjoy the swift deaths afterwards. When they're fed up with that, I suggest them to look at other weapons.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 11:51:27 am »
imo in there is no idea in nerfing a class just because many people like playing it... why the hell should you ruin the game for those who like that class just because others also like it?

if it is not better than everything else, it should not be nerfed, and afaik, lancers werent OP pre-patch

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:23:55 pm »
the choosing a weapon for lancer is pretty simple, first find a weapon with thurst, and from that find a weapon with longest reach, thats basicly it
the reason behind this logic is that, heavy lance was best to deal with other cav, it made cav duels dynamic, now there will be much much more blocking

as for killing unaware players you can do it with almost anything that can be used from horseback..

but i understand cav needed a nerf with all those open field maps on servers it was begging for it

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:46 am »
i honestly dont think cav needed nerf...

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:54 am »
Devs still can't explain to me why cavalry was overpowered.

They suddenly, out of nowhere, ruin c-rpg balance yet again. Making us fall back to more mediocre lances because of the slow speed of our useless heirloomed heavy lances.

And no, with the current wpf model and mechanics (especially with polearms this powerful) we are not able to take onehanders as a sidearm or even think about using low range weapons. We will be dead before you know it.

I'm going to main my horse archer, goodbye lancer class.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 06:17:31 pm »
I had the best round ofmy life last night using my masterwork long awlpike on horseback....  Thing is once you get off your horse and get back on, you drop it automatically and cant pick it back up. Make me think that the devs didnt mean to let me use it on horseback and will change it back  :(

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 01:46:57 am »
Make me think that the devs didnt mean to let me use it on horseback and will change it back  :(

:P

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 01:55:33 am »
Devs still can't explain to me why cavalry was overpowered.

They suddenly, out of nowhere, ruin c-rpg balance yet again. Making us fall back to more mediocre lances because of the slow speed of our useless heirloomed heavy lances.

And no, with the current wpf model and mechanics (especially with polearms this powerful) we are not able to take onehanders as a sidearm or even think about using low range weapons. We will be dead before you know it.

I'm going to main my horse archer, goodbye lancer class.

Okay, we get the point Magikarp, you are annoyed your heirloomed great lance got nerfed, you've spammed all the forums with it, get over it.  Every class got nerfed and cav got a relatively minor one as well to help maintain the balance.  One lance gets slowed down and you freak out, every class has to deal with the 2-slot system and ranged is decidely more affected than cav in this respect, with many having to run around with no weapons or really short 1 handers.  You got the lollance back after complaining and none of your horses were nerfed so really having one over-used lance given a lower speed is not that big of a deal.  Learn to adapt and be a better horseman, if you can't get the timing right with the new lance than go as a 1her or 2her on horseback or use a long hafted blade.  It seems like I've seen 20 posts by you now raging about cavalry even though it was one of the least nerfed classes.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo