Author Topic: 1-Hander Equipment  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
1-Hander Equipment
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:50:14 pm »
Sorry, I'm sure this has been discussed.  But not looking for Build (stats) help.  Just looking for a few opinions on weapon and shield setup.  If this helps, my build is in the spoiler.  Just respec'd from polearms, currently at lvl 27.

(click to show/hide)

So basically, I'm looking for an all-around weapon?  Actually looking for two.  An expensive one.  And a cheaper one, for when I need to save money (make money).  While I favor speed over length, I seem to do better with a little length on my weapon.  Honestly, looking for a good balanced weapon, with decent speed/length and decent in both slash & stab attacks.  So this basically leaves me looking for a sword.  I know picks are elite.  And I think axes look way cool.  But I just seem to not fair well with shorter weapons (though I am knew to the class... it's because I have suck footwork).

What do you guys think about the Italian Sword?  I used it some last night.  Thinking about it for may expensive weapon.  Seemed to fair decently.  Good mixture in all areas.  Would like a little more stab damage (though it's not bad).  And in truth, I use slash way more (where it has nice damage).

Also used the Arabian Straight Sword last night (for my cheaper weapon).  Has a nice balance for length & speed.  Has great length and speed for the price.  But has pretty weak damage compared to others around it.  But it's only 2k... so I can't expect too much.  Anyone find this a nice cheap alternative.

I really, really love the damage stats (and speed) of the Scottish Sword.  But couldn't find much success because of it's length.  I'm rusty (been away for a while), and just plain suck anyways... so my footwork is not great.  Can't seem to close the distance... and keep it close... to be able to use this weapon effectively.  Really like it's damage stats and speed (27 dmg for both attacks, 103 spd, but only 81 length).

As for shield... think I can figure this out on my own.  But though I'd ask anyways.  Going with Huscarl for now.  Use the basic Kite Shield when I want a cheaper alternative.

Do most players prefer the Heavy Board Shield over the Huscarl?  And what intermediate (cheaper & 1 slot) shields do you guys find effective?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:45:48 pm by Mallets »

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 1-Hander Equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »
A fast and fun to use one hander is Broad Short Sword. Though it has only 28 dmg. It's kinda "gladius" style weapon.
For cheap 1h i would choose smth with knockdown, all the maces can do surprisingly well.
Ah, and Short Falchion. If 61 range... so agi footwork needed, but 104 spead and good 30 dmg for such a cheap weapon?

Scottish sword(and side sword) are stabbing swords. And without stabbing a lot they aren't worth their price.

btw go kinngrim style. Huscarl + steelpick. leftslashleftslashleftslash... profit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:11:24 pm by HUtH »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »
+1
If you don't have looms take military cleaver and heavy round shield. Maybe not the cheapest ones but really good and "stylish"  :wink: As a 1h with 7 PS I would't take nothing with less than 30 cut and even 30 is pretty low.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:27:00 pm »
+1
If you don't have looms take military cleaver and heavy round shield. Maybe not the cheapest ones but really good and "stylish"  :wink: As a 1h with 7 PS I would't take nothing with less than 30 cut and even 30 is pretty low.

This is a good bet. Military cleaver is my fav weapon. Hits like a truck and I freaking love hitting people with that right swing when they don't expect it.

heavy round shield is one of the best inf shields. I definitely recommend military cleaver but as for other swords, nordic champ works well and grosse messer. The grosse is short but it also hits pretty hard.

If you want to really destroy people, I would recommend taking a 1h sword for lighter armor and take a mace, like iberian mace, for heavier targets. Can also take an axe for other shielders. But at least have 2 different kind of weapons for light and heavy armor. I would prefer the mace over the pick because you get knockdown plus it still hits hard.

Offline sdfjkln

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:40:40 am »
You have the right idea with the italian sword. For your cheaper sword you might like the Liuyedao, it has good cut damage, great speed, and decent ranged; it does lack a stab though.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:31:09 am »
You have the right idea with the italian sword. For your cheaper sword you might like the Liuyedao, it has good cut damage, great speed, and decent ranged; it does lack a stab though.

Yeah, thanks!  Yeah, I like to have a stab attack.  I know stab is the least used (and tough to hit at times), but it seems really useful when teammates are ganged up on someone... so as to not hit them with my slash.

Liuyedao does seem a really good weapon for it's price.  However... and this may sound gay... I don't like the swords with light brown sheaths.  I know it's stupid.  But just don't think they look stylish.  Still might have to try one out though!

Offline brockssn

• Baron
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »
I am level 33, 24/15

8 PS
8 IF
5 Shield
5 Athletics
5 WP

My goal was to be able to 1 shot people (not very viable) as a 1h'r with also using huscarl shield. I went with the Iron War Axe at 40cut. No other shielder can compete with me because they only have their shield for about 1-5 hits until it breaks. This weapon also has 3.3 weight which means you can stun longswords and other weapons if you hold the overhead attack. It also has another mode with 26 (i think) pierce damage, which isnt really used because 40 cut does more dmg than 26p no matter what armor you hit with it. Its fast enough, 96 speed (97 in alt mode), and the length isnt great, but I use right swing a lot to add length to my attacks for all the S key warriors. If someone starts S keying you just S key them and when they charge you attack them.

Huscarl is amazing, I plan on getting a MW huscarl once I gen my alt to gear up my main.

I use to use the long espada because it is an amazing weapon but the stabs on all 1hrs GLANCES light crazy and causes me to die more often than kill someone so until they fix it I'm not using any stab weps

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 05:58:03 am »
While I have had moderate success (success for me, I still suck) with the Italian Sword... I think I found my weapon in the Arabian Cavalry Sword.  I know this weapon is slow... but has the best reach (length) of any of the 1-handers.  For someone who has sucky footwork... this extra length has proven quite valuable.  The extra length seems to throw some folks off.  Maybe they've gotten used to most shields carrying the shorter picks, hammers, & axes (don't seem to see many shielders with swords).  With 33-cut slashing damage, it does pack a punch.  Certainly get more kills with this 1-hander, than with any other I've used.

I did briefly use the Warhammer... and while it does hit very hard... I rarely hit guys.  With suck footwork and awful timing... I'm struggle with the shorter 1-handers.

Still need to try the Nordic Champion Sword, to see if it's a nice balance between the ACS and Italian Sword.  However, with it being about 2.5k more than either of these items, may stick with the ACS to keep my upkeep down (allowing me to wear better armor & use a Huscarl, without breaking the bank).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:01:43 am by Mallets »

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:45:15 am »
The Knightly Arming Sword and the Soldier's Cleaver have given me the greatest success. I've been plenty of different 1h builds, with and without shield.

Hit me up on steam at sand_man_pb, I'd be willing to spend some time in duel server teaching you some 1h tricks, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:01:21 am by Sandersson Jankins »

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:11:27 pm »
My favorite weapon is the knightly arming sword (long arming sword is cheaper with same stats, except 1 less cut damage) followed by the elite scimitar (especially with 7 power strike or higher). 

If you're playing on siege than I'd recommend the military pick or steel pick due to the pierce damage, but I really liked playing with the broad one handed battle axe on siege (breaks shields like a boss and has high cut damage, 35)

Most of the 1h's are pretty well balanced however, so you can use a lot of them successfully as long as you take advantage of their strengths.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:51 pm »
+1
Military cleaver is really nice. Hits like a truck, nice weight so doesn't get stunned, is pretty fast, and has some deceiving reach. Oh, also, it's nice and cheap. If you want super easy mode though and don't mind being a sperg, just go for the elite scimitar, it's gay as hell but it's good for beginners.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
I believe the most important stat for 1h weapon is length. So my choise is Nordic Champion's Sword (nice looking sword + 102 reach)

Offline Carthage

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Hamlicar, HG_Rommel, HG_PunicCarthage
  • IRC nick: Carthage
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:51 pm »
Cleavers are great and so is the Nordic short swords since any longer of a weapon and you may not be able to facehug right. Also try the Brown kite shield for a cheap one and the Heavy round shield or Board shield for decent ones or hell even the Elite cav shield is great with that 100 speed

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 07:29:19 am »
If you like the italian sword, try the side sword. The yanmaodao is really similar to the liuyedao but without the light brown scabbard.

A neat thing about the long 1 handers is that you can score some surprise hits on the very end of your left and right swings. As the animation ends, you can just barely clip people that are beyong 90 degrees to the left or right (depending on swing) of your character. It's almost as goofy and wonky as stabbing someone with the shaft of a spear at point blank.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Mr Dinkywinky

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 11:57:32 pm »
Well I really enjoy an Italian sword as backup to my pikeman, good all rounder in my opinion. If you want something quick for thrusting id suggest either a Scottish Sword or if you want more range a Side Sword, both are great but my favourite is the Side Sword great thrust and speed love it for my rapier build!