Author Topic: Throwing Lance / Shielder Build  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Throwing Lance / Shielder Build
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:42:34 am »
+1
I've never made an STF character.  Thinking about finally doing so with a character that can use Throwing Lances.  I've never had a dedicated thrower.  Also, I do not have a 1-H Shielder.  Played with a 1-H Shielder for about a week, way back when I first started.  But haven't since.  Instead of going 1-H with Throwing... I'm not against going Hoplite with Throwing.  Either way, I'm hoping to maybe accomplish either of these with this character.

Now, I'm not looking to make some elite character that rules the field.  Just looking to have fun.  And dont' want to totally gimp my build... so I'm here just asking for a little advice.

First let me show you the build in mind,

Strength: 21
Agility: 15

Ironflesh: 2
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 3
Athletics: 5
Power Throw: 7
Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 75
Polearm: 51
Throwing: 130

When thinking about my build, 2 main questions arise.

1)  How to distribute my WPF points?  Should I have any points in Polearms?  My thinking was that I could use the Throwing Lance in "meele mode", to act as a hoplite.  But is this a foolish thought?  Can you even do that?  Should I leave polearms blank, allowing my 1-H to be 90.  Or do I split 1-H and Throwing evenly... roughly 113 each.

Alternatively, I could leave 1-H blank, and go Polearm and Throwing.  I could carry a 2-slot spear, 2 throwing lances, and the round buckler.

2)  Are 3 points to Shield even worth it?  Should I go more?  I know you can use some decent shields that require 3 difficulty.  But in the heat of battle, will I need those extra points to shield, for any shield to be worth using?  Mind you, I'd have to sacrifice points to Iron-Flesh and/or Power-Strike.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  Throwing Lances are a must.  I'd really love to try using a 1-H Shielder.  But there's something appealing about equipping a War Spear, Round Buckler, and 2 Throwing Lances.  Something seems fun with that build!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:48:41 am by Mallets »

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing Lance / Shielder Build
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:48 am »
I just made a stf like this two days ago lol! I went 21/15 with 7 PS/PT 3 shield 5 ATH/WM. I split my wpf evenly between poles and throwing and used a board shield with three lances. if you get into close combat save a lance for melee and put the shield away! Good luck!

edit: don't be afraid to hoplite people if friendlies are with you too!

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:15:03 am »
throwing lances and a shield? that means one slot for your shield, one for your melee weapon (or a spare throwing lance) and two slots left for your throwing lances. doesnt seem really productive to me :)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:18:01 am »
Can't speak to this myself, but here's something Phew said the other day that seems relevant/useful to you:

...I always thought a hoplite with 7 PT would be really fun. A shield and 3 throwing lances, use one in melee mode (throwing lance has a very good melee mode). Put the shield on your back when you want to sideswing. Pretty well-suited for a lot of situations.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:24:27 am »
+1
Though distributing your wpf points into 3 is rather questionable, I think it is also doable. That is too much throwing wpf.

Something like this setup might have been better:

One hand: 100
Pole: 86
Throwing:100

Though I never tried it with less than 100 wpf, 86 should be decent enough. If you want to wear a bit of armor with the throwing, you can sacrifice some wpf from one hand to spend on throwing. I don't remember the formula much.

Above all, I don't think 15 AGI and 3 proficiencies is a very good option to play. I'd rather distribute it between pole and throwing in this case. That way, you can even go 24/12 and still be fine.

If you're going to include throwing lances in your character build somewhere, throwing will be your main strength. Everything besides that will be sidearm, make your decisions accordingly :P
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
+1
You could go for a bit more agi and use Jarids or Throwing spears instead. You need some athletics to get close to the enemy to stab him but you'd have way more ammo.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:10:10 pm »
I play with 4 throwing lances/harpoons.
Tried to play with a shield but it was no good, you really notice having one less ammo.

aiming for a 27/12 build. 9PS 9PT 4WM 4ATH all wpf in throwing at lvl 31. Currently at 30.
Use some heavy armor to withstand a few blows since you are slow and often need to run past enemies to find a meleewep.

The wpf is to reduce the upkeep cause they are really expensive.

After using up 2 lances I pickup a meleeweapon from the ground. cant always be picky, so investing wpf in pole,2hand or 1hand is tricky. Since often you end up with another kind.

Takes some planning, making it easy to pick up missed throws.

At 32 I will get 3 riding for a rouncy. Really usefull in the beginning to take out other cav. Tried it on a STF.
at 33 4 riding and 2 horse archery.
Any points after that into Iron Flesh.

:D Whaling!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:33 pm »
I'd put just enough wpf in throwing not to get the malus (it is useless above it anyway) and the rest in polearms, 3 lances and a shield. Go for shield 5. You are going to use light armor, IF is not very useful for you.

Throwing lances have an excellent, very spammy melee mode. It is perfectly viable. The weakest part of that build is the shield imo, there isn't much use for it.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:22 pm »
+2
Ditch the 1handed snd go throwing/polearm, the throwing lance is pretty short so shield/throwing lance melee is very viable. :)

Also 7 ps will wreck with the 30p (i think 30p?)

I'd put just enough wpf in throwing not to get the malus (it is useless above it anyway) and the rest in polearms, 3 lances and a shield. Go for shield 5. You are going to use light armor, IF is not very useful for you.

Throwing lances have an excellent, very spammy melee mode. It is perfectly viable. The weakest part of that build is the shield imo, there isn't much use for it.

I agree, most people only take the shield because of 300 lol :)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Nasha

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter Nashius, Nashius_IV
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:57 pm »
+2
You could try your build without the IF and putting the two extra points into Shield:

Shield: 5

Polearm: 106
Throwing: 120

(3 Throwing Lances + Plate Covered Round Shield)

or

(2 slot Polearm + 2 Throwing Lances + Round Buckler)

Personally, I think that the 5 Shield skill is more important than the  2 IF. If you've got a strong shield to hide behind, like the Plate Covered Round Shield, the 2 IF won't matter as much if your careful (unless of course you come up against a weapon with the bonus against shields).

Again, in my opinion putting 120 WPF in Throwing is sufficient and placing the rest in polearm would be fine to use the secondary mode on the throwing lances.

Even with this, you still have the option of switching to the round buckler and a 2 slot polearm with your throwing lances instead or even lose the shield and take other throwing/polearm weapons.

Just my thoughts :)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:30 pm »
I would suggest throwing spears over lance and then go for a 1h-shielder build.

21/15

7PS
7PT
5ATH
5SHI
5WM

100 throwing
around 90 in 1h

Works like a charm and you're running around with 8 projectiles and when those are gone, you start charge the next archer. Fun, versatile, viable thrower hybrid.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:45 pm »
I would suggest throwing spears over lance and then go for a 1h-shielder build.

21/15

7PS
7PT
5ATH
5SHI
5WM

100 throwing
around 90 in 1h

Works like a charm and you're running around with 8 projectiles and when those are gone, you start charge the next archer. Fun, versatile, viable thrower hybrid.
Idk what calculater you use but how did you end with that wpf, you can go 101 1h/pole wpf & 120 throwing with 5wm if im right  :?

Id go with
Ps 7
Pt 7
Sh 5
Ath 5
Wm 5

Pole 101 wpf
Throw 120 wpf

1 slot shield
3 slot throwing lance (throwing spears is for pussies!  :twisted:)

When you've thrown two lances while keeping the third one in secondary mode you are bound to find a war spear, or a spear of any sort, so you can throw your last one.   :D

Edit: also when you encounter a shield breaker theres no worries, the throwing lance, even when mw'd, is rediculously spammy, even unloomed with 50 wpf its lulzy fast. And the stab does proper damage.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:34:22 pm by Joseph_Porta »
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:02:15 pm »
For fun I'd suggest a thrower with this build, name your guy "KENYA_<name>" and wear very light armor and no shoes

Strength: 12
    Agility: 27
    Hit points: 49

Skills to attributes: 8

Iron Flesh: 1
    Athletics: 9
    Power Throw: 4
    Weapon Master: 9

Max out WPF in throwing
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:33 pm »
3 slot throwing lance (throwing spears is for pussies!  :twisted:)

Hahaha... I love it!  Throwing Spears all the way!

You could try your build without the IF and putting the two extra points into Shield:

Shield: 5

Polearm: 106
Throwing: 120

(3 Throwing Lances + Plate Covered Round Shield)
or
(2 slot Polearm + 2 Throwing Lances + Round Buckler)

Thanks Nasha!  Good advice on dropping the 2 IF, to go 5 Shield.  Think this is the route I'm going to take.  Gives a lot of versatility.  Can use the 2 weapon sets you mentioned above... and can go 4 Throwing Lances, if ever need be.

And honestly, while I'd lack a little with WPF... could use any polearm and be effective with 7 PS.  Poleaxes, spears, pikes... and still carry any of the throwing weapons.

I'm also considering a more athletic 21/18 build... where I'd carry 4 Throwing Lances with very light armor (shown below).  But 99% sure I'm going to go with the build above.

Agility: 18

Athletics: 6
Weapon Master: 3

Polearm: 95
Throwing: 105
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:15:46 pm by Mallets »

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:36:31 pm »
+1
If you want shield you should certainly go with what nasha said, the 21/18 build looks fun but i strongly advice against it, having no if will be challenging and fun in the beginning but after a while archers and especially other throwers will get to you and start becoming a nuisence.

If you decide to go throwing lances without shield i'd go:

21/15

If 5
Ps 7
Pt 7
Ath 5
Wm 5

101 Pole wpf
120 throw wpf

This build is way more durable and viable, imo, then the 21/18 build you suggested, it is a viable build don't get me wrong but the benefits of that 5 ps outweight, imo, that 1 more ath you'll get.

I am currently playing a build like the one mentioned above and this somewhat describes my personal experience.
(I played up untill around 26 without IF and I then invested 3 points in it, nothing but profit, imo.)

Credit to Dood, whoever it is, for this build, he gave it to me, allthough i think he invested more wpf in throwing and only has around 60 pole wpf.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™