Author Topic: Arrows/Bolts and Polestagger  (Read 3745 times)

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_GuiKa
Arrows/Bolts and Polestagger
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:26:36 am »
+1
Hello,

I've made a post about that a few months ago and i know it's useless to talk about this but meh :

Please remove polestagger from arrows and bolts, this is a lame mechanism which make melee rage their guts out. If you believe archery is too weak and removing this will break the game then buff something else instead like missile speed or attack speed. Or you can simply remove it without any compensation like you did with polearms polestagger/turn rate and block while kicking  :rolleyes: .

Polestun is lame and it's time to remove it from this game (It's ok for throwing tho, i understand it hurt to take a 2 Kg lance in the chest).

Regards,

GuiKa.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:15:32 pm by Kalam »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Re: Arrows/Bolts and Polestagger
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:50:35 am »
+5
(It's ok for throwing tho, i understand it hurt to take a 2 Kg lance in the chest).

And uhh ... getting anally raped by a bodkin doesnt ?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:50:54 am »
+7
So, newb point - polestagger is just... stagger, right? The moment after getting hit when you can't move?

If so, I don't see how you could keep running at full speed through getting hit with an arrow.

Obviously LOTR is a good reference for everything, and Boromir certainly got stunned with each hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjfq5gsfYk

EDIT: Hell, even the hobbits watching him got stunned.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:53:09 am »
+6
EDIT: Hell, even the hobbits watching him got stunned.

AOE arrow stun, sounds reasonable, add immediatly.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:29:09 am »
  • Polestun wasn't removed entirely, polearms still stop people (people hit by polearms can block, but lose all momentum, which usually fucks them up), while other melee weapons don't.
  • The projectile stun is ridiculously overpowered right now. As well as slightly unrealistic, shouldn't the attacker be stunned with the same force when shooting ? That's a bit like movies in which people shot by handguns jump through windows and so on.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:44:12 am »
+1
Please remove polestagger from arrows and bolts, this is a lame mechanism which make melee rage their guts out.
Mind blown...
Let's remove anything that makes little kids raging.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:44:35 am by Macropus »

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:46 am »
+5
  • Polestun wasn't removed entirely, polearms still stop people (people hit by polearms can block, but lose all momentum, which usually fucks them up), while other melee weapons don't.
  • The projectile stun is ridiculously overpowered right now. As well as slightly unrealistic, shouldn't the attacker be stunned with the same force when shooting ? That's a bit like movies in which people shot by handguns jump through windows and so on.

Everything kafein says is biased against archers, he's just never satisfied and always wants more nerfs. Glad he's not a dev.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:22:53 am »
+1
Everything kafein says is biased against archers, he's just never satisfied and always wants more nerfs. Glad he's not a dev.

Idlewild

:wink:

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:38:44 am »
+1
Was getting worried as I didn't see a nerf archery thread for a day but you delivered.
Use a shield or your brain and Archery won't bother you.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:07:42 am »
+2
I've never been hit by an arrow, a bolt, a sword or an axe. I've been hit with blunt things 2 or 3 times and it was a "staggering" experience. I think this staggering should be added for all weapons instead of removing it from all weapons. You could take a certain STR minimum when it kicks in, for example PS5 or PS6.

I think it is rather unrealistic to get a sword poked in your ass and then immediately jump 2 meters to get some distance from your behind attacker and then spam the fuck out of everything with perfect footwork. Being hit with a weapon would certainly influence movement and taking it away completely is bullcrap. Imagine runner-xbowers like me that just keep running at high speed if they get a full hit with a weapon, pretty annoying I can imagine.

Add a certain degree of staggering to all weapons I say. And dont tell me that getting hit by an arrow or a bolt has no negative effect besides the loss of health. I'm willing to listen to anybody that has been shot by such a thing.

Best regards

Grumpy_Nic

Offline Piok

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 97
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:25:59 am »
+1
Nerf shield forcefield and magnetfield. Shielders with small shield become target.
This will ease life of 2h/2hpole people. Also will be much more realistic.
And finally...
constant friendly advice get a shield noob will get new dimension  :mrgreen:

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:10 am »
+3
I remember when I got shot by crossbowman (and stunned) so an archer shot me (because I couldn't avoid when stunned) and another archer shot me (cuz of focken stun) and I died... It was when arbalest wasn't taking 90% hp with 1 bolt.

I was simply standing in one place doing nothing but taking projectiles for 2 seconds.

To be honest I don't see why ranged should stun other players (maybe except throwers cuz they are cute).

Also stun removal from ranged has been suggested many times already and I dunno if starting another topic about it is going to change something.

(click to show/hide)

Grumpy_Nic if you suggest a change like this you completely destroy the meaning of armour. There will be no need for it. The tactic will be "not to get hit" instead of "survive a hit". Enjoy no-armour-agi-bananas-with-katanas. Also you will destroy the rest of the "hero" part of the game that was already minimalised. Influence of the unit on field of battle is much lower than it was like year ago and earlier, not to mention that everybody would go ranged or quit.

It's just a game after all.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:42:05 am by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:35 am »
I remember when I got shot by crossbowman (and stunned) so an archer shot me (because I couldn't avoid when stunned) and another archer shot me (cuz of focken stun) and I died... It was when arbalest wasn't taking 90% hp with 1 bolt.

I was simply standing in one place doing nothing but taking projectiles for 2 seconds.

To be honest I don't see why ranged should stun other players (maybe except throwers cuz they are cute).

Also stun removal from ranged has been suggested many times already and I dunno if starting another topic about it is going to change something.

(click to show/hide)

Grumpy_Nic if you suggest a change like this you completely destroy the meaning of armour. There will be no need for it. The tactic will be "not to get hit" instead of "survive a hit". Enjoy no-armour-agi-bananas-with-katanas. Also you will destroy the rest of the "hero" part of the game that was already minimalised. Influence of the unit on field of battle is much lower than it was like year ago and earlier, not to mention that everybody would go ranged or quit.

It's just a game after all.

Glancing would mean a lot more and also chambering. And the "hero" part of the game...? You mean 2h right?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:42 am »
+1
Glancing would mean a lot more and also chambering. And the "hero" part of the game...? You mean 2h right?
No I mean unit that is better in melee than most of the enemies. Can be 1h/pole/2h.

Also that you were stunned doesn't mean that other people are getting stunned. I am thinking about trained units like Navy Seals whom you can keep hitting with a club and he ain't giving a fuck. How comes a blunt weapon doesn't stun him?

Skyrim UI

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:28 am »
+2
No I mean unit that is better in melee than most of the enemies. Can be 1h/pole/2h.

Ok, I understand. I'm gonna throw in the old "support" argument in that you all know very well but I think its still somewhat valid.
I enjoy it very much to interfere in fights by shooting bolts in there. The best moments are when you see that an ally is getting engaged by 2 or more targets and you drop one of them so your mate has increased chances of survival. Or just hit one of the guys and if the timing is good it was just in that moment where your ally was starting a hit and with the stagger there is no chance for the other guy to block it.

These are the moments I play for mostly, to get teammates out of shit situations. Be it by dehorsing enemies, shooting enemy archers or enemy melee that would outnumber my own team.
For me this is one of the main reasons I play this game, I've always played more of a supportive role in most games and I enjoy it very much in this game. You want your hero aspect in the game but I also want to be able to support.
Dont tell me that you've never smiled when a horse is shot right in front of you and you can finish the guy off or when you see an archer aiming for you but before the arrow goes off he drops down dead. I know its annoying to die in battle because u just get to spawn once but adapting is part of survival.

In my case I adapt to be more of a coward (one might call it cautious, but lets call it coward) and run away from everything that is melee. I often get onehit from behind or bumped to death by horses. But thats ok, I dont want to be invincible, to have only one "life" and to take care of it makes this interesting.

I'm talking only for myself now. I've got 13 bolts with me, 14 with the preloaded xbow. So that means I can "stagger" 14 targets with that, if I had a 100% accuracy, which I do not have. Some rounds I hardly hit anything, other rounds I hit very good. I'd say I have 60-70% chance to hit in general. If it rains I dont use an xbow because of the damage reduction and practise some melee.

Ranged will always be there and the more hardcore melee heroes there are the more of the "average" players will play ranged to have a chance against you. I still remember when Tor used to finsih me off all the time with his bigass evil axe of annihilation, thats one of the reasons why I changed to xbow. Deal with the weapon range available in this game or change game.

Edit: ninja edit?  :D And we're all playing navy seals? I'm talking about serious blows of swords, axes, bar mace etc.