Do you kick?

I kick. It does wonders.
36 (51.4%)
I kick. It doesn't usually work.
20 (28.6%)
I don't kick. It gets me killed.
14 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Kicking  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
Kicking
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:16 am »
Hey all - just curious about this often ignored melee option. I haven't learned to kick effectively yet. Am I missing out? Is it all that useful? In what situations is kicking worth while? Does anyone even do it?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
Re: Kicking
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:07:18 am »
+1
Not really "often ignored". It was nerfed to ground because it was too easy to spam without taking any risk. Not sure if this goes for EU_1 only.

Yes, kicking is usefull. Mostly I use it against 1v1 or if you outnumber the enemy. Use it if you want to take down the opponents ability to block. To get good at kicking, use it a lot. That way you'll learn when and how to use it. Nowdays because you can't block while kicking you need to time it really carefully.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:26 am »
As my comrade Lennu stated. But as a new player, kicking is extremely difficult to land- but it comes with experience and time. Don't feel rage when you aren't succesful the first few times!

You won't see many people kicking unless they have played the game for ages and are comfortable with the mechanics, but yes you should try to incorporate it into your playstyle it does work wonders. :D

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:12 am »
Most people neglect to try kicking because it's up there with chamber-blocking as being one of the riskiest and most difficult moves in the game. So, they stick to easier and more reliable techniques like feints and holds.

Kicking is easiest when you can use the terrain to funnel your opponent into it. Doorways, narrow halls, stairs, etc. Backing someone into a corner works the same way. You can also sometimes backpedal and bait them into it. When kicking in a normal fight you need more careful timing and an idea of the typical rhythm of a fight. It's something that you just need to practice so that you can understand when someone will be passing in front of you and the timing required to kick them. You'll probably miss a lot at first but just consider it a learning experience. The length of your opponent's weapon doesn't matter that much but shielders tend to be easier to kick because they face-hug more frequently.

This is a pretty advanced technique but it can be very useful if you practice it enough.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:34:38 am »
if somebody wants to practice some kicking with me on eu3 next week (this means two kicking noobs trying to figure out step by step how to kick)

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:23:55 pm »
Basically, learn to kick face-huggers, shielders, and other aggressive folks. They'll often run right atcha, and it's easy.

Once you learn that, you can begin to learn various kicking tricks that are available mostly to 1h and polearm players. I've not learned many of them, so I only kick face-huggers myself.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:13 pm »
Kicking is most useful on siege, where a lot of tight places allow you to kick more reliably.
Also note that with latest kick nerf you can't block but can turn while kicking instead, that could make it a bit easier to land after all, though it's still very risky.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46:19 pm »
Kicking is most useful on siege, where a lot of tight places allow you to kick more reliably.
Also note that with latest kick nerf you can't block but can turn while kicking instead, that could make it a bit easier to land after all, though it's still very risky.

Is that change on NA servers? I am able to block while kicking, it seems. Can't turn though.

Hell, it took them like a month to put pole-stun removal on our server.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline peter_afca7

• Count
  • Renown: 224
  • Infamy: 113
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BLABLA
  • Game nicks: BLABLABLA
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »
add this one: i don't kick cause im not retarded

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:10:36 pm »
Is that change on NA servers? I am able to block while kicking, it seems. Can't turn though.
Indeed, I think it only works on test servers like EU1 atm.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »
add this one: i don't kick cause im not retarded

Meh, that would imply that kicking itself is somehow objectively lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkWS9PiXekE

The gods of badassidy disagree.

I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth while in crpg. It's overall value is not in question.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
+1
How to learn kicking:

Step 1: Go longspear

Definitely worth using, can significantly shorten the time of an engagement.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »

I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth while in crpg.

I think the value of kicking overall is quite low. A successful kick gives an advantage in a melee duel where noone can get the upper hand but in other situations... rather not I think.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »
Are you NA? It is worth trying to kick if you can block while kicking. You will miss a lot (most) when you are first starting out, and it will get you killed if they are really poorly positioned kicks, but it gets better. Also, make sure you aren't so focused on kicking that you forget to block.

It may be worth noting that if you use a knockdown weapon, you can hit them on the ground, then kick and get another free hit in. So one knockdown gives you three hits (the one that knocked them down, the hit while they are on the ground, and the one where they are stunned from the kick).

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27:56 pm »
Are you NA? It is worth trying to kick if you can block while kicking. You will miss a lot (most) when you are first starting out, and it will get you killed if they are really poorly positioned kicks, but it gets better. Also, make sure you aren't so focused on kicking that you forget to block.

It may be worth noting that if you use a knockdown weapon, you can hit them on the ground, then kick and get another free hit in. So one knockdown gives you three hits (the one that knocked them down, the hit while they are on the ground, and the one where they are stunned from the kick).

I am NA, yes, but as my abilities are still solidifying i don't want to get reliant on anything that is likely to change in the near future (people seem to think the EU1 changes will make their way west, eventually). Good point on the 3-hit knockdown, though. So far I'm rocking the LWA for style purposes, but I may experiment with blunt as I go.

Alright, it's settled. I'm going to try to kick you guys. It will likely lead to my doom, in the short term. But mark my words. You shall be kicked. Oh yes. You shall be kicked.