Author Topic: Throwing needs to lose speed...  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
Throwing needs to lose speed...
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »
Why?

Simple really, as a shield user I am effectively the primary counter to range weapons. (If you disagree please hit ALT + F4 now)

When I am within striking range of a thrower, the time that it takes to throw a weapon and hit my shield is faster then it takes for me to lower my shield and swing my weapon.

So in essence they can attack twice before I can attack once leaving me with my attack chambered and a lance in my face.

Thoughts?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing needs to lose speed...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »
as a shielder and as a throwing alt, this is not the case at all. If they can "attack twice before [you] can attack once," then words cannot express how bad you fail.

Ranged weapons should be be affected by the bump animation if a person hold their shield up though. The speed is fine.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »
I played M&B since before warband so STFU and as a person who ALSO played a thrower, and plays sword/shield since CRPG came out I can tell you that throwing is too damn fast.

I had this exact scenario happen to me a few times now, with 150 wpf in 1h and a 100 speed masterwork long espada I should be able to hit a thrower between throws.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »
Seawied, you're wrong.

When I played thrower on my sister's character...

it was something like: run to enemy (well, actually, i moved like a turtle - full str 14 pt :D), throw at him when i was close enough (that depended on weapon i used, usually javelins without armor - only dress), then if he was still alive he tried to attack me... throw at him again, since he had to run to me first, then if he STILL was alive (i could miss or something) when he was ready to swing at me: backpedal + jump + throw in one moment. Bah, guy is dead (99% i hit him from that short distance).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:46:02 pm by Dravic »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:51:19 pm »
^^^^ This is exactly my point.

The time it takes for the shield hit, shield lower, and swing animation to happen the second throw is well on its way to your face.

Throwing needs to be much slower then it is.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:41 pm »
You should be more specific. I thought you were talking about missile speed, not delay between throws.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:13:57 pm »
If you get thrown at from point-blank range, you're doing it wrong. :)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »
Gurnisson, fixed:

If you get thrown at from point-blank range, thrower is really good and jumped away during throwing animation to not get it interrupted.  :)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »
You lowered your shield and got hit = you failed. The thrower did a smart thing, but it doesn't remove the fact that you did something wrong as a shielder...
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »
It doesn't require jumping backwards or anything really to do the scenario I said.

The time it takes to throw two weapons one after another is shorter than the shield hit animation, shield lower animation, and swing time combined. 148 1h wpf, 98 speed weapon, huscarl shield with 5 shield skill.

Shield is supposed to be a range counter, but something like this unbalances it.

Anything to contribute or just L2P?

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 11:40:47 pm »
Can I get some feedback on this?

No other range weapon fires so fast that you have to hold your shield up the whole time or your forced to bump them so you can get an attack.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:31 am »
I actually haven't seen a decent thrower yet who couldn't backpedal faster than a shielder with his shield up moves forward, just enough to avoid getting bumped.

Of course there's some shitty thrower builds out there with no athletics too so I suppose those guys might get bumped.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:51:09 am »
I played M&B since before warband so STFU and as a person who ALSO played a thrower, and plays sword/shield since CRPG came out I can tell you that throwing is too damn fast.

I had this exact scenario happen to me a few times now, with 150 wpf in 1h and a 100 speed masterwork long espada I should be able to hit a thrower between throws.

Guess what? So did I. Pipe down skipper, you're making an ass of yourself. If you were to act as arrogant as you are right now and tell me to shut the fuck up in person, I would knock your teeth out on the spot.

Secondly, Throwers do NOT attack faster at a rate of 2:1. If a thrower can get in 2 shots before you get 1, then you have not adequately closed the gap between you and him. As a shielder, you are a thrower counter-class.

@Dravic, with 14 PT, you would have either 1 or 0 athletics depending on how high of a level the character is. You should not have been able to out back-pedal an opponent, unless that person also went 100% strength. This leads me to believe that the person probably was most likely a lowish level or did not have adequate WPF/Agility.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 01:28:34 am »
Throwers already had a number of counters.

Shields, bows and crossbows were all simple counters to throwers.

Now I accept that shielded throwers had less to worry about from bows and crossbows but now things have swung more in their favour with the 2 slot throwing weapons.

Really only the 1 slot throwing weapons with good stack numbers are useable now for dedicated throwers. Throwing axes are still okay for a mixed build as a bit of anti-horse.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 05:14:37 am »
Guess what? So did I. Pipe down skipper, you're making an ass of yourself. If you were to act as arrogant as you are right now and tell me to shut the fuck up in person, I would knock your teeth out on the spot.

Secondly, Throwers do NOT attack faster at a rate of 2:1. If a thrower can get in 2 shots before you get 1, then you have not adequately closed the gap between you and him. As a shielder, you are a thrower counter-class.

@Dravic, with 14 PT, you would have either 1 or 0 athletics depending on how high of a level the character is. You should not have been able to out back-pedal an opponent, unless that person also went 100% strength. This leads me to believe that the person probably was most likely a lowish level or did not have adequate WPF/Agility.

The ratio isn't 2:1, its single throw speed is faster then the stack of animations I said. (Shield hit, shield lower, weapon swing) which doesn't require any movement on the throwers part.

As for the other part, I train 3-5 times a week at least in martial arts plus additional work outs. I train with friends who are x-army also so about knocking my teeth out, I would really like to see it. Aside from that its just a game, no need for anger on that part of physical violence, but when someone just says you need to learn to play or your doing it wrong it just pisses me right off.

A number of things I pointed out as being issues with this mod have been changed to what my recommendations were, now this is another flawed game mechanic I am bringing to light.