Author Topic: Server for Strat Castles & Towns [suggestion]  (Read 601 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Server for Strat Castles & Towns [suggestion]
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »
+10
What i would like to see, is a test server for Strategus Castle and Town maps.
This could also be used to test strategies.

Only those would be in rotation.

Every map would be online for 30m-1h,
in that time people could build catapults and shoot the crap out of them.
Try different other siege stuff and see what would work and what not.

In the end everyone who sees there are no walls you can just walk through or, invisible walls or other issues, can then vote if that map is buggy or not, like the voting for map rotation on the offical server.

When map is fixed it would be taken out of rotation till everything is at least once fixed. Then the process starts newly, to find more issues.

As there are also issues with other maps, it is imaginable that all strategus maps could be treated this way, but i would set the priority onto Castles & Towns.

If all maps would be fine, then a voting could be allowed, so factions, can go onto that server and test a strategy before the actual battle would take place. There are already some servers set up for this purpose, but smaller factions clans without the manpower and know how often don't even know about that.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Server for Strat Castles & Towns [suggestion]
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:14 pm »
+3
I would like this idea just for the admins, so they can test and fix maps.

But the players should experiment on their own and build siege specific experience over time.

After sieging Slezkh Castle many many times you now have a trained and dedicated engineers and know where to strike in this specific castle... This power and knowledge are now yours to use!
As much I would love a kind of wikipedia where you can learn from others, I like how in strategus you accumulate field experience and fare way better after several battles/sieges than other unexperienced factions.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:09 pm »
+1
I would like this idea just for the admins, so they can test and fix maps.

But the players should experiment on their own and build siege specific experience over time.

After sieging Slezkh Castle many many times you now have a trained and dedicated engineers and know where to strike in this specific castle... This power and knowledge are now yours to use!
As much I would love a kind of wikipedia where you can learn from others, I like how in strategus you accumulate field experience and fare way better after several battles/sieges than other unexperienced factions.
and then there are faction like Coallition,DRZ and others who have their own test server with strategus maps and can do all that , and have all that knowledge without first doing it the hard way, so to catch two flies in one go, testing the maps and gaining that knowledge i would prefer a open test server for those purposes

Offline _RXN_

• Count
  • Renown: 254
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chadzina
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:41:32 pm »
+2
DRZ and others who have their own test server with strategus maps and can do all that , and have all that knowledge without first doing it the hard way
We ran this test server on the local machine only a couple of times over these years, because we are too lazy to spend time on this useless thing. You can not foresee and test everything that can happen in a real battle, so it's pointless.

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:31 am »
yeh same goes for HRE test server, u can look at the maps, but once u try catapults the server crashes ^^

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:16 pm »
another reason to get a "working" test server ^^ for strategus castles & towns

it is sad enough that, the playing expereince is interrupted by buggy maps and then people complaning about it and not always people also making the test ^^ posts about the results on the forum. So having a more organized way to go through every Castle&town, which then provides secured data in for front, so battles can be enjoyable and not like ... uh shit we didnt know that ...