Poll

Is the ban request section a disgrace to the community?

Yes
66 (57.9%)
No
48 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Voting closed: February 01, 2013, 05:40:00 pm

Author Topic: Ban request poll of shame  (Read 3527 times)

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Ban request poll of shame
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 02:24:51 pm »
You think asking for a ban for someone who breaks the rules is bad - I think it brings justice.
You think? Or does everyone else think? In fact, are you not stating the obvious? Might fill you with convidence but please stop calling it thinking!

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »
If you think it makes bad atmosphere in community - it doesn't. Rule breakers do. Trying to get them banned is a good thing in every way.
In this I am sorry but you are wrong, it does bring a bad atmosphere, maybe you're just not aware of it.
Also pretending that banning every rule breaking is a good thing is such a lie, if you care to look around, most bans have no effect at all and so many offenders never get "punished".

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »
Hiding it won't solve the problem, i guess although you pretend it is a horrible task, you enjoy those daily banning sessions somehow and don't want to lose that privilege. What you say about some valid request needing to be adressed sounds like a lot of bullcrap to me, because you would be active on server if you cared about that...

I don't even remember when I last banned someone via a ban request and I certainly don't see it as a privilege, pretty sure the latter goes for most admins.
Removing it is not an option since admins can not see everything that's happening on all servers at all times.

It's fine if you don't like it but let us handle this the way we feel is right.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 02:57:17 pm »
You think? Or does everyone else think? In fact, are you not stating the obvious? Might fill you with convidence but please stop calling it thinking!
Could you explain it without trying to troll me or something? Didn't get that part really. If what I stated is obvious for you (which is pretty good), then again - what's the purpose of this topic and why would you think ban section shouldn't exist?
In this I am sorry but you are wrong, it does bring a bad atmosphere, maybe you're just not aware of it.
Also pretending that banning every rule breaking is a good thing is such a lie, if you care to look around, most bans have no effect at all and so many offenders never get "punished".
What you just said is basically this: "banning every rule breaker is bad and most of them don't get banned".
Well then, it seems like everything is good as it is from your point of view, so once again - why delete ban request section?

If I see a rulebreaker in game, who impacts on my or other players' fun, I want to be able to get him banned. I don't see anything wrong here.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 02:58:20 pm »
+1
What I hate in ban polls, ban requests is, how far you can go without being banned, combined to how fast you can be banned for almost nothing. I think it is the perfect example of injustice (but humans are like that  :P). Everything boils down to the fact that you can perfectly be "rule-breaking", as long as noone arounds you dislike you enough to screenshot your doing, and that those you're griefing are friendly toward you. Then if you have the misfortune to be caught while doing anything remotely punishable, you can get a life-time ban, even if you were just playing with friends  :rolleyes:

For example, repeated offense should never mean perma-ban, the ban-time plateau should be a month, except for the gravest of deeds.
Also, most ban request are subjective and misses some very important facts/background: there should be no life-time ban from those topics, a competent admin must have eyes on someone himself before sentencing him to death.

The weakness of some misdemeanor leading to bans of multiple months always leaves a bad taste in my mouth: I could accept this if we were in a game of millions of players, but we are polling against guys playing with us for months, or even YEARS, and we know most of them are harmless trolls.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:03:56 pm by Butan »

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »
Could you explain it without trying to troll me or something? Didn't get that part really. If what I stated is obvious for you (which is pretty good), then again - what's the purpose of this topic and why would you think ban section shouldn't exist?
Many ban request don't fit your "perfect world" category Macropuss. In fact i believe most of them don't.
If you want examples read Rumblood's post:"plain vindictive requests that are usually about personal pissing contests. Couple in incidents where an accidental hit occurs and ragenerd posts about it anyhow. I won't even get into the timesink involved researching the incident to find that often the OP deserves a ban at least as much as their target"

What you just said is basically this: "banning every rule breaker is bad and most of them don't get banned".
You misunderstood, i said banning every rule breaker is a lie it will never happen.

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
I don't even remember when I last banned someone via a ban request and I certainly don't see it as a privilege, pretty sure the latter goes for most admins.
Removing it is not an option since admins can not see everything that's happening on all servers at all times.

It's fine if you don't like it but let us handle this the way we feel is right.

You want me to give the name of the admin who does it? Really? You think it would help?
I only gave my opinion, do as you like, be who you like...
I'm done here

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »
highlandeur, he meant that he doesnt do it for fun. offcourse admins have to reply to the ban requests, its a must as admins are not always online. I dont know but have you ever played dtv, siege etc...? they are now recruiting admins because it was unbearable.

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 05:06:06 pm »
I only play EU1 and it's fine in my opinion, would you say EU1 is unbarable due to the amount of rule breaking?
Having active admins on EU2 is another point.
Make a ban request section in the forum for DTV only if its necessary lol

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
and i got my answer from meow so thread is closed for me

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 05:26:35 pm »
+3
What started out as a reasonable suggestion kinda went sour. I've arrived at the impression of Meow actually doing things for the greater good of the community lately, saying he enjoys banning people is rather far fetched and doesn't really score your cause any points.

Anyway, I think 24h would be a good start. It will cause people to seriously re-evaluate the amount of energy they feel like investing into banning another player. Minor stuff will most likely disappear by themselves, only really butthurt trolls will wait 24h to ban request someone who called them some small insult like "idiot" etc.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 05:47:33 pm »
Unlike you my friend i never got banned or even ban requested and more importantly i never posted a ban request.

It's always been something that disgusted me in this community, from the absence of admin rules resulting in fancy ban periods (from 1 to 300 days for the same offense depending on admin or offender but never depending on the offense itself) to the disgraceful ban request section and the humiliating public ban essays.

A repulsive behavior that kept me from being willing to get involved as admin, donator, investor, prepurchaser or whatever.
A behavior that comes from the top as i discovered in my short nordmen life, praising the gods on irc.

But you are right Bjord, again I am being vindicative and arrogant, again I fail

I swear it was my last attempt

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »
Perhaps you're just directing your contempt at Meow because he happens to be a part of the admin team, it probably wasn't personal. I understand your frustration.

Also yes, I have quite an impressive record. Can't deny that.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 06:13:59 pm »
+2
I do enjoy a read, it's like the cartoon section, colourful and humorous
wait so you actually find those newspaper cartoons funny? lmao you must be the only one
Jackson And No Bank

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 07:14:43 pm »
wait so you actually find those newspaper cartoons funny? lmao you must be the only one

Coworker of mine reads them for amusement when we've got the night shift, she doesn't like the way the paper reports news.  Oh well, more bad newsreporting for me, I thrive on the chuckles I get from a slanted story in the paper.

On topic: Meow, is there any way you can make a ban thread so it can only be posted in by the reporter and admins?  That is, locked to all but the thread starter and the moderators on the said ban forum?