Author Topic: The Slaughter of New Rindyar  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Sir_Winston_Churchill

• Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: MC_of_Frisia
The Slaughter of New Rindyar
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:17:34 pm »
+5
With bright banners of red, gold, blue, and semen white, the proud combined armies of Occitan and Hero Party displayed themselves before the Walls of New Rindyar. Among the men there was confident banter about how their magnificent army was going to rid these lands of the Frisian invaders and their Norse friends. After all, God Wills It.

Inside New Rindyar, the mood was much different. The display before the castle was one which struck awe into the hearts of all the defenders. How could they hope to stand before such military might? Such thoughts were in the heart of everyone of the brave defenders as they prepared to meet their end to the massed ladders and catapults of the Hero-Occitans.

One thing that neither side took into account though was one crucial fact. New Rindyar is a castle. Now the purpose of a castle is to be nigh-impregnable and to cost any army which dares to assault it grievous losses. So, "instead of direct assaults, besieging a castle was more cost-efficient and effective. However, depending on the castle, sieges could last from a few months to years. The siege of Donnington castle lasted from July 1644 to April 1646." A historical incident which proves this point is the fact that "in 1403, a force of 37 archers successfully defended Caernarfon Castle against two assaults by Owain Glyndŵr's allies during a long siege, demonstrating that a small force could be effective."

New Rindyar indeed proved the point that assaulting a castle is SUPPOSED to be extremely difficult. If an attacking army wants to take a castle by storm, it has to massively outweigh the defenders in both men and material as castle walls are DESIGNED to multiply the garrison force by factors of ten or more.

So, instead of a direct assault, most castles were taken by sieges which either starved the castle out (made it run out of gold) by cutting it off from reinforcement, or by forcing a field battle. In addition, attacking armies would generally ransack the countryside (take easier to assault fiefs) thus weakening a force in a castle to the point where it has to fight in the field or dissolve in its castle.

So to those of you who complain about how terrible the assault was, I agree with you. That was an utter bloodbath. However, I think that it definitely demonstrates the point that castles are supposed to be fortresses which are extremely hard to take. If you want to beat the army in the castle, you either need to lose thousands of troops doing it, or be like the best generals in history and force a decisive engagement in the field by bleeding the enemy out to the point where they can no longer sit in the castle. After all, a force can only do so much from behind its walls. It must come out eventually and it is up to an attacker to make them come out.

tl;dr: Castle assaults suck. However, I believe that they should continue to suck as the role of castles is to make an excellent defensive position. This is balanced because even if you have a good defense, you can only do so much from behind your walls while your lands (and thus wealth) are sacked and burned and your traders (again, wealth) are destroyed.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: The Slaughter of New Rindyar
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:51:53 pm »
Can you post the battle result and/or how this castle was a bloodbath to the attackers?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:07 pm »
+1
Can you post the battle result and/or how this castle was a bloodbath to the attackers?

http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=battlesparticipated#!?page=battledetail&id=2091

Basically, it was archer heaven on the walls, the castle pretty small and one side is a cliff, and I think the back was too high to throw ladders on, so defense could rotate their forces to the front and right side. The terrain was pretty terrible, hard to throw ladders besides the fact that they were destroyed instantly. To top it off, the right side had a a stone roof in between the top and the ground, so defenders could sally out onto the ground without taking any fall damage.

Offline arowaine

• Duke
  • Renown: 614
  • Infamy: 159
    • View Profile
    • http://occitanclan.webs.com/
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_Arowaine
  • IRC nick: arowaine
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:09 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

interesting slaugther i welcome you into a open field battle on equal ground let see who will get slaugther. Stay behind your wall that is the best you can do.

they basicly did 2/1 kd as defender wish is pretty good...still they had transitional we were in medium mail(heraldic surcoat) and i can also say not prepared for a siege at all.
Desire: pls smite FCC 2.0 T.T

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »
+2
Championship warfare, brethren. That's how real men settle wars.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:12 pm »
+2
Its seems pretty much impossible to starve a castle out. Not only is it possible the castle/people in the castle have enough gold to upkeep the castle for a while, but you also would need a lot of guys to block off the castle. Last but not least, I imagine most clans would have a hard time finding a group of players that could keep constant surveillance on the caste, so chances are the defenders can get a clanmate/ally to grad a bunch of horses and quick march past your sleeping guardmen to reinforce the city/castle.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:28 pm »
interesting slaugther i welcome you into a open field battle on equal ground let see who will get slaugther. Stay behind your wall that is the best you can do.

they basicly did 2/1 kd as defender wish is pretty good...still they had transitional we were in medium mail(heraldic surcoat) and i can also say not prepared for a siege at all.

Exactly what I am saying. The point of a castle is so that the defenders have a large advantage when attacked. However, by staying behind walls, the defender loses the initiative.

Note about New Rindyar in specific: Yes, it is extremely hard to throw ladders and the cliff makes things tough. But I would say that is the mark of a well build castle. Some of the best were built against cliffs, on top of hills, in order to make it more difficult for the attackers. (however, the buggy ladders should be fixed for sure).

(click to show/hide)

That is a good point, that's why I threw in the bit about destroying economy. It is basically impossible to truly siege (a feature that would be very nice and not too difficult to include), but it is indeed very possible to bypass a castle and attack other things (such as traders) and thus kill their ability to make war.

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:57 pm »
+3
The attackers would have had a much easier time if they had built more catapults, were the ones destroyed in the beginning the only construction sites the army had?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:21 am »
+3
The attackers would have had a much easier time if they had built more catapults, were the ones destroyed in the beginning the only construction sites the army had?

We had enough materials for 5 catapults, we just failed miserably at defending them against that lone footman that kept coming for them lol. We also wasted time trying to find reasonable ground for one of them while the second shot about 5-6 times on a tower that seemed to be unbreakable.

1 Thing for sure is that you cant take the walls of that castle with ladders against a decent to good and full roster of mercs defending them.

Those in the clan who decided to attack that castle probably learned a great deal from that mistake and you can be sure you won't see us try again. There are other much more efficient ways to deal with a fortress like this one if we decided it was worth anything
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:03:38 am by SHinOCk »
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:25 am »
+2
I tried to give you a field battle, but it ended up at 8am. Damn shame, we'll have to keep doing it if the attack is urgent. I request a 1am or 2am nighttime, you lose basically nothing. Sure, it's fine for you to not want to play at later than midnight, and it wouldn't be a problem if you could have 12 hour or more nighttimes. But, is it really better to have an 8am fight instead of a 12:30 fight?

Again, we'll be there in force because we're nerds with specific sleeping problems/circumstances that allow us to, and I think EU mercs are more likely to sign up for us. I don't want to screw you, I don't like to win through this shit. I want to have good fights at primetime, but once again, if the night-times are like that, we'll keep attacking people. Keep in mind we didn't attack this guy at like 5am or anything. It was around 12:45 if I remember right, which isn't even "nerd hours" yet for west-coast people, and still plenty of east coast people play at that time.

Please change your night-time hours to at least 1am 8hours or 2am 8hours; it would benefit you more than I.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 06:48:16 pm »

Sweet jesus, Arrowaine... you guys are the biggest masochists ever. Medium armor in a castle siege assault?
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »
+1
which isn't even "nerd hours" yet for west-coast people, and still plenty of east coast people play at that time.

I just don't get why everyone goes to bed so early... I mean it's like 10 PM for me and everyone complains about how tired they are! (well except for nerds like Sandy)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:59 pm »
Exactly what I am saying. The point of a castle is so that the defenders have a large advantage when attacked. However, by staying behind walls, the defender loses the initiative.

Note about New Rindyar in specific: Yes, it is extremely hard to throw ladders and the cliff makes things tough. But I would say that is the mark of a well build castle. Some of the best were built against cliffs, on top of hills, in order to make it more difficult for the attackers. (however, the buggy ladders should be fixed for sure).

That is a good point, that's why I threw in the bit about destroying economy. It is basically impossible to truly siege (a feature that would be very nice and not too difficult to include), but it is indeed very possible to bypass a castle and attack other things (such as traders) and thus kill their ability to make war.

It wouldn't have been so bad if one corner of the front wall (where the cliffs aren't as bad, and the walls were lower) didn't have a ladder high above it which prevented us from throwing ladders below it to the walls.

That's a great strategy for anyone else defending castles in the future.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »
That was unintended, so we could access the tower above gate (which does not have internal stairs).

BUT we did used to do that on siege all the time when deployable ladders were in, defenders could throw up ladders as anti-ladder blockades in certain notorious shortcut locations.