Author Topic: SUPER MINIMAL THROWING  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
SUPER MINIMAL THROWING
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:49:17 am »
Hey guys,
When I get the chance I intend to do some experimenting myself, but I just wanted to check with the community to see if anyone has any input before I put in the effort.

Here's the question:

What's the MINIMUM investment you could see going into throwing, for a hybrid? I'm talking about holding a single stack of 1PT throwing axes (edit: smallest axe is 2 points, I know) with just enough WPF to pick them up again, that is all.

The idea here is to be able to throw them at masses of defenders, shield-walls, charging horses, etc, not really with the intent of killing anything outright but rather contributing in a small way to team tactics as I close with my main tool - my polearm. Imagine me more a part of the volley than a head-hunter.

What do you think? Complete waste of time?

Indulge me anyway - what do I need? If every 1PT takes away 13 prof, than do I only need 13 (edit: 26) prof to pull this off? (Edit: I roll unarmored, if that isn't clear, so no WPF penalty there.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:45:27 pm by Commodore_Axephante »

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
Re: SUPER MINIMAL THROWING
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:09 am »
Hey guys,
When I get the chance I intend to do some experimenting myself, but I just wanted to check with the community to see if anyone has any input before I put in the effort.

Here's the question:

What's the MINIMUM investment you could see going into throwing, for a hybrid? I'm talking about holding a single stack of 1PT throwing axes with just enough WPF to pick them up again, that is all.

The idea here is to be able to throw them at masses of defenders, shield-walls, charging horses, etc, not really with the intent of killing anything outright but rather contributing in a small way to team tactics as I close with my main tool - my polearm. Imagine me more a part of the volley than a head-hunter.

What do you think? Complete waste of time?

Indulge me anyway - what do I need? If every 1PT takes away 13 prof, than do I only need 13 prof to pull this off?

Nice idea, I think the easiest way to experience this is a STF build and use 1PT throwing weapons although I would go for 2PT to use either War Darts or Franciscas.

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:14 am »
I have tried a stf character with 2 PT and some of those francescas.
Ive put in about 110 wpf i think and besides that i had a 2h. Damage is too low so its a real waste.

I was thinking to use it as a weapon against ranged when they start running away. The usual ranged armor is around 30 so i thought the 35 cut damage should have been enough but it was useless.

Not viable imo

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:04:23 am »
I have tried a stf character with 2 PT and some of those francescas.
Ive put in about 110 wpf i think and besides that i had a 2h. Damage is too low so its a real waste.

I was thinking to use it as a weapon against ranged when they start running away. The usual ranged armor is around 30 so i thought the 35 cut damage should have been enough but it was useless.

Not viable imo

Not viable for getting your own kills maybe, but what about the team element? Huck a few of them at the shield wall, with the axe bonus against shields, and you just might help a buddy break through one of those things in a timely fashion even if you don't do it yourself, no? Or again, if you hit a running archer, at the very least, you'll make it less work for someone else to cut them down later if you can't do it yourself.

Point taken though. So far you're the first to express any experience in this sort of idea. Thanks for the input.

Nice idea, I think the easiest way to experience this is a STF build and use 1PT throwing weapons although I would go for 2PT to use either War Darts or Franciscas.

... noob Q - what's an STF build? STR is strength, obviously, but STF?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:07:32 am by Commodore_Axephante »

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:40 am »
STF = Skip the Fun. The option that allows you to make a lvl 30 character and play around with him, not gaining xp with it. You can respec it at any time. To make one, make an alt, then click where it says Regular next to type, and select make a STF (or something along those lines)

Also bear in mind that your wpf is reduced by the weight of your armor, though I am not sure of the values, but you will need more than 13 wpf to compensate

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:23:28 am »
STF = Skip the Fun. The option that allows you to make a lvl 30 character and play around with him, not gaining xp with it. You can respec it at any time. To make one, make an alt, then click where it says Regular next to type, and select make a STF (or something along those lines)

Also bear in mind that your wpf is reduced by the weight of your armor, though I am not sure of the values, but you will need more than 13 wpf to compensate

The Naked Fanatic wears no armor!  :wink:

And, right, Skip the fun. I know about those. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:50:09 am »
lol, should look at people's profiles before answering.
I am testing a (naked) 2 PT STF with 40 wpf, and the damage is not good at all, which will not make it hurt shields much anyway.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »
+1
Dude my alt has 4PT and about 65wpf or so and I wear mail surcoat (purple one cause it brings out my eyes) and I have no problem tossing and picking up. try that.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »
Dude my alt has 4PT and about 65wpf or so and I wear mail surcoat (purple one cause it brings out my eyes) and I have no problem tossing and picking up. try that.

He doesnt want to have a thrower, he wants a minimal throwing ability. He was talking about 1PT axes, which do not exist - at least 2PT for them. I think this is more of a fun/flavour build and not min/maxing. Its definitely gonna be more fun the way he plays it. Cuz min/maxing is actually  pretty boring, although everybody does it, including me.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
He doesnt want to have a thrower, he wants a minimal throwing ability. He was talking about 1PT axes, which do not exist - at least 2PT for them. I think this is more of a fun/flavour build and not min/maxing. Its definitely gonna be more fun the way he plays it. Cuz min/maxing is actually  pretty boring, although everybody does it, including me.

Right right, Franciscas are 2 points, my bad.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
+1
as a pro master tribrid thrower

the minimal is 3 pt and about 50wpf

not a big investment IMO

also, I advice using dart as pierce is better for low pt or throwing hammer for stylish

(my real advice is rock because rocks op and all but maybe you are not ready for that :P)

2pt is useless

So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 04:06:52 pm »
You get what you pay for.

Throwing daggers, franciscas and war darts are OK weps but you won't be doing much killing with 1 or 2 PT, you won't be hurting anyone with armour on, maybe unloomed, low end mail that's about it. They do have a use, but it's basically limited to hurting unarmoured people, and stopping kiting (both archers and s-key heroes will dislike being thrown at and re-engage). They'll also sting rouncies and coursers but still expect 4-6 hits to bring one down.

Going up to 3 PT is a bit better cuz Javs & axes will sting medium armor people & horses but you're still dealing with low calibre harassment weapons and you won't be getting many kills.

At 4 PT your axes hit harder, especially good for dropping charging horses, at 5 PT you get jarids which at 40 pierce start to hurt guys with 55-65 armor.

Throwing overall is fairly linear progression, in terms of gaining killing power, you truly do get what you pay for. Each individual damage upgrade is relatively small but the cumulative effect of going from unloomed daggers to +3 jarids is the difference between being able to harass archers in leather and taking off 1/2 HP of a 2h hero with 65 armor. There's no real shortcuts or underappreciated super weapons in between like there are in a  lot of other weapon catagories.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:09:58 pm by Turboflex »

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:53 pm »
Alright check out this pseudo-hyrid, then. A new iteration of my ongoing NAKED BUILD! Thoughts? Again, clearly the focus here is not on throwing - throwing is just a minor tool for the various uses that Turboflex mentioned.

Code: (NAKED FANATIC mini-throw) [Select]
Level:           33

Strength:        30
Agility:         12

Skill to attr:    8

Power Strike:    10
Athletics:        4
Power Throw:      8
Weapon Master:    4

Polearm:        135
Throwing:        55
using cRPG NewGen calc

EDIT: Wait, crap, I forgot about the -13 wpf per PT thing... so 56 throwing should allow for 6 PT with pick-up, right? If so, I'll take off 2 PT and put in riding for some Sumpter action, for battlefield mobility (not combat).

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »
6 * 13 = 78

You might have 6 PT and be able to spawn with spears but at 55 WPF you'd only be throwing them at 4 PT and couldn't pick them up.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »
Pfffft, math!  :mrgreen:

Ok, so here's another look:

NAKED FANATIC mini-throw]Level:           33

Strength:        30
Agility:         12

Skill to attr:    8

Power Strike:    10
Athletics:        4
Riding:           2
Power Throw:      4
Weapon Master:    4

135 Polearms
55 Throwing

4 PT gives -52 throwing WPF, so with 55 I should just squeeze by, yeah?

EDIT: this actually leaves me with 2 extra skillpoints... sheesh... maybe 4 riding, just for the hell of it. I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:41:24 pm by Commodore_Axephante »