Author Topic: 1h cav with a touch of lancing?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline bagele

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
1h cav with a touch of lancing?
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:03:11 pm »
I was going to make a 1hand cav for my next gen and I wanted to add a splash of lancing to it, do I NEED polearm wpf or can I just get away with 1.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Re: 1h cav with a touch of lancing?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:14:28 pm »
couching doesnt need polearm wpf
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:02:09 am by no_rules_just_play »

Offline bagele

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »
couching doesnt need polearm

Really? Wow, well, disregard my retardness everyone!

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:25:59 am »
+1
That's for great lance. I still think it's nice to have a good 60-80 wpf at least to curb off a lot of the 1wpf penalties for damage, especially since those early points are so cheap.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:25 am »
oh shit, in that case i was wrong. i hope he checks this again

Offline Inglorious

• Earl
  • Renown: 497
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Courage is our shield
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Banana Republic / Chevaliers
  • Game nicks: IngloriouslyBad / Affordable Cavalry
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:35:24 am »
+1
In my experience, I have chosen a +3 Courser and a +3 Great Lance for my cavalry, while being completely spec'd into being a 1h shielder.

Works wonders in being maneuverable, anti-infantry, and counter-cavalry while on horseback. If you are ever de-horsed you are still an able fighter with great offensive and defensive capability. Being able to be effective as infantry once being forced from horseback is a great attribute to the way I build cavalry.

Remember this is for a great lancer 1h shielder build. You must be very patient with this build as you attain the riding required at lvl 30. Purely my own style. I invite you to try it if you like:

- 12 str 24 agi
- skill to attribute: 2 skill points for 1 att to be put into agi (later when you reach lvl 30 for the 8th riding[hence patient build])
- 4 IF 4 PS
- 8 Shield 8 Ride 5 Ath
- All WPF into 1h as you do not need proficiency in polearm for use of the GL.

It seems crazy to build this way, but I have done this for over 7 generations. Not to shabby. I can amass many horse and rider kills as I am quick and maneuverable, and infantry never knew what hit them till it's to late. Great Lancing is to me an art. You have to time all encounters with your couching cooldown and be aware of your surroundings to be effective, as well as know when to run and when to engage. Going in balls deep will more likely than usual be your demise, and at that point you have 8 shield skill to help remedy the situation you put yourself into. I've found myself many times backpedaling to team mates while my shield is being bombarded by ranged and melee, thanking myself all the time for the 8 skill in shield.

Some times it works some times it does not. It requires finesse that you will learn yourself over time.

I hope I put some ideas to your disposal, and good luck!

Offline bagele

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »
That's for great lance. I still think it's nice to have a good 60-80 wpf at least to curb off a lot of the 1wpf penalties for damage, especially since those early points are so cheap.

Thanks guys. Think ill try a build like this, fairly similar to my 1hand infantry guy I have now so it should be pretty easy for me.

Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 64
Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 4
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 4
Athletics: 4
Riding: 5
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 5

and then figure out WPF, probably 80% in 1hand and the rest in polearm? are there plateaus of minimum wpf that work best?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »
At level 30, with 5 WM, you can have:

130 1H
90 Polearms

or

140 1H
60 Polearms (with a few points left over)

Either one of these will work just fine. 1WPF lances are useable on horseback, but it really is a small investment of WPF to make them more reliable.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline bagele

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »
At level 30, with 5 WM, you can have:

130 1H
90 Polearms

or

140 1H
60 Polearms (with a few points left over)

Either one of these will work just fine. 1WPF lances are useable on horseback, but it really is a small investment of WPF to make them more reliable.

sounds good, thanks for the help

Offline Equal

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Secretly not gay
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Equal
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:48 am »
106 polearm WPF seems to be the magic number if you want to be completely hybrid - with 6 WM you can have 129 1h and 106 lance which is what I use. I know you said a touch of lancing - I would recommend trying this because you could would be viable to use polearms off of a horse too.

Then again, if you do want only 15 agi.. In which case I would say 100 polearm and 121 1h WPF. Which wouldn't be very noticeable comparatively and you'd have 9 extra health too.

But if you are serious with 'a touch' of lancing, I've played plenty of gens of 1h/lance cav with 0 WM... 100 1h and 70 polearm WPF. With 70 polearm and 5 WM you would get a nice 136 1h.  70 WPF  - especially with lancing - you'll have a longer animation to use to your advantage against other cav, try releasing a bit earlier than you would think or else those with higher polearm WPF will beat if lance at the same time.

Or you could be a baddiecav and just aim for the horsehead which takes no skill :) but that's why you're 1h cav! I want you to kick ROHYPNOL's ass one day.