Author Topic: Axes suggestion.  (Read 343 times)

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
Axes suggestion.
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »
+2
Is a simple suggestion for axes, that I noticed after playing M&B With fire and Sword.

In that game, axes have penetration factor against shield & amors. Why axes have in warband 2x damage against shields? Because axes don't have cut damage exactly. Is not the same a sword, where the purpose is to cut & slide or thrust vs an axe where the damage is a mix of cut & pierce, because these weapons have their mass on a edge and concentrates all the strenght of the hit on a point. That is the reason it can "cut" through shields better than swords. IMO, axes should be unbalanced because that is the "nature" of the weapon. It's strong is the unbalanceness. For example, imagine a plain sword trying to cut through a chainmail. It make no sense. Imagine now a two handed viking axe hitting strong that chainmail. Poor is the guy that is under the armor.

I'm not talking about giving only axes bonus vs armors. It should have handicaps.  Being unbalanced allow the fighter to give potent swings that can dice & slice through shields and armors. I really don't know how to balance it. Now with WSE2 and enhanced hitboxes, the engine can differ between a blunt or cut hit with weapons (specially polearms), so it can be an option, not only for cRPG, also for Melee B.

It can give axes another role that breaking shields, and I think every suggestion is welcome. The more depth the game have, the more happy we are. :)

My two cents.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:16:52 pm by El_Infante »

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Axes suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:57 am »
+4
I think axes serve their purpose well now...
They break shields and deal massive damage
visitors can't see pics , please register or login