Author Topic: Gayest Superhero?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: Gayest Superhero?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:02:12 am »
lol yea good point. Superhero whos superpowers are being buff and and some gayass shield
Yeah and look at that helmet/hat/mask! Not to mention that his name is Captain America :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:19 am »
To be honest all superhero costumes are super gay.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 02:24:48 am »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:06 am »
+1
I always tought Superman was pretty gay with the costume and all. Plus Clak Kent...

Robin too ofc.

Discuss!

It's funny how the mainstream's take on Robin seems to come from what the character was during the Golden Age comics from like the 1930s or even that dumb/cheesy Batman show in the 60s.

• The first Robin grew up to become one of the biggest playboys/pinups in the DC Universe and also had a very badass and memorable 2 year run as Batman himself (I'd even go so far as to say that two of the best Batman books of all time had him under the cowl)
  • The second Robin became a psychopath murderer after getting beaten to death with a crowbar at the hands of the Joker and also got to bang Bruce Wayne's baby's momma
  • The third Robin... okay he's pretty gay (especially with Superboy) and he was Robin for probably the majority of our lifetimes (assuming that the age group here is in their early/mid twenties) so that's pretty understandable
  • The fourth (current) Robin is a trained assassin who cut off someone's head during his first trip to the Batcave

It is kind of silly to think about having 10 year old sidekicks but the current continuity has them all at the 13-16ish range during their time as Robin (except the current Robin who, as I've explained, is an exception) and really the role of Robin is more of an apprentice/intern as opposed to a field/combat partner. He relays messages, analyzes data, does research and stuff. However the most significant role of Robin is the psychological factor for Batman. To be Batman you really have to go to dark places in your mind and Robin is there to keep Batman grounded and keep his direction. What most people don't realize is that the entirety of Batman is based off psychology -- his rogues are literally based off of specific disorders (Scarecrow, Joker, etc) and Bruce himself, perhaps up until the recent reboot, was characterized with psychological disorders (obsessive compulsive, reclusive, etc) which is horrendously ignored by all the film adaptations as well as the detective aspect (both being key to the character himself). If Robin didn't exist Batman would mentally break down and cross the line of taking someone's life. In fact the current run has Bruce questioning this now-expansive support group he's built for himself and whether it's just weighing him down. There's also a very interesting one-off that played with the idea that the entirety of Batman's career has been a ploy by Alfred to help a mentally ill Bruce deal with the loss of his parents, so he let him dress up as a bat and chase him around dressed up as his rogues and follow clues etc for years in hopes that he would grow out of it as he got older but he never did.

That show is so whack. They took Green Arrow and made it a cheap and cheesy version of Batman Begins (which is also completely unfaithful and a disservice to its main character). Ollie is depicted as being a watered down version of Bruce which is the complete opposite of his personality and they made Dinah ("Laurel") a common attorney like Rachel in Batman Begins but with a disapproving daddy figure like Louis Lane in Smallville. Dinah is a top 10 martial artist in the DC Universe and has a very powerful superpower.. I really don't see why they opted to make the character just a common romance/"omgz I can't let her find out who I really am in order to protect her" figure. Ollie (pre-reboot since the new stuff pretty much destroyed the character so I'll just ignore it for discussion), is less of a whiney emo bitch like in the show and is more of a free flowing, chill kind of guy who likes to joke around and take light of every situation.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:46:57 am by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 02:21:10 pm »

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:24:23 pm by Anal Bleeding »

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 05:22:16 pm »
The first Robin grew up to become one of the biggest playboys/pinups in the DC Universe and also had a very badass and memorable 2 year run as Batman himself (I'd even go so far as to say that two of the best Batman books of all time had him under the cowl)

I was surprised to see someone else liked Dick Grayson as Batman better than Bruce Wayne. Not that I dislike Bruce Wayne. Scott Snyder's run on Detective Comics was my favourite, I think

That said, their costumes were awesomely flamboyant in the past.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »
Frodo.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »
+1

Well now we see what Horse archers do in their spare time, they draw gay comics

(click to show/hide)
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »
I was surprised to see someone else liked Dick Grayson as Batman better than Bruce Wayne. Not that I dislike Bruce Wayne. Scott Snyder's run on Detective Comics was my favourite, I think

That said, their costumes were awesomely flamboyant in the past.

Fuck yeah. I honestly didn't give a shit about Batman until Dick took on the mantle. There's just something about the whole handing-down-legacy aspect that seemed really cool to me. After decades of a brooding and robotic Bruce who turns everyone away and is all-knowing and all-powerful you get fun-loving Dick who, unlike Bruce, relies on his friends, cooperates with the police, trolls a demonic Robin and jumps in head first while relying on improvisation over Bruce's master-plan-scenario-for-everything-before-it-happens approach. There's just so much story depth in him learning to become Batman without being Bruce and coming to terms with replacing his father-figure. If it was my call, he'd still be Batman and for the forseeable future as he is truly the Batman of the modern day. The reboot dialed Bruce down a bit and made him more like dickbat, even stealing some really memorable quotes that used to separate the two like "remembering my parents for how they lived instead of how they died" which Dick said in B&R and they had Bruce say it in Batman after the reboot. Even when Bruce came back I still thought there was room for two Batmans with Dick being the Batman of Gotham and Bruce with a higher calling being Batman of the world.

Snyder's 'Tec and Morrison's Batman & Robin were completely off the charts and breathed much needed freshness and moderness to the character. The dynamic between those two Batman books were perfect during that era: 'Tec was the dark/horror/crime/mystery book while Batman & Robin was quirky and fun yet twisted and creepy. Nowadays both of those titles are completely garbage. Admittedly, Batman and JLA were pretty shit when Dick was Batman but now pretty much every batbook is shit except for Batman and Batman INC.

Speaking of Snyder, I thought the Court of Owls stuff was really disappointing. The Death of the Family/Joker stuff has been promising so far though. Definitely hate how the reboot fucked up the timeline and ages of all the characters (as well as wiping some of them out of existence) which used to be perfect and didn't offer any closure whatsoever to that era -- also not letting 'Tec get to 1000 when it was so close.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:25:04 pm by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 04:03:34 am »
Batwoman is (even if the writing wasn't good, the art itself is brilliant) phenomenal, actually, and Swamp Thing and Animal Man deliver. Otherwise, yeah, the New 52 is shit. Incidentally, Batwoman is another candidate for gayest superhero.

And I can't help but bring up Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, which is my current favourite superhero title.

This probably means Hawkeye wins this award.