Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 23653 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 01:28:55 am »
Is it me or is it all about having the bigger guns? I'm playing British atm and the hurricanes/spitfires seem to do piss for damage and the rate of fire tradeoff does not seem proportional. Tearing people up with the Beaufighter is such a refreshing change of pace :\ After I get R6 I'm gunna level the USA tree.

Time to clean the dust of the x52...the trackIR and the CH Pedals....AND search and destroy.

I hope you guys dont play 3rd person arcade....zomfg

If you want fighter tactics...search for BigSilverHotDog.
Best pilot I ever winged with.

He is doing these with IL2...but War Thunder is based on IL2 Wings of Prey...so everything fits.

I came into the game with the perspective of a sim elitist having played a lot of them before but I don't have a joystick ATM. With that said arcade mode is a lot of fun regardless. Certainly really different than 1st person/realism mode but not in a bad way. Flying first person with mouse/keyboard would be a nightmare so I just stay away from realism mode for now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:32:53 am by bilwit »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:26 am »
Tbh I was kinda hesitant about playing flying games because I don't have a joystick, but the controls are pretty good for mouse/keyboard. Also, for those sim elitists, there's always full scale battle and historical battle.another thing is the need for an NA server. They REALLY need one, kinda surprised they have an EU and RU but no NA.
Pock gobblers

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:34 am »
(click to show/hide)

Somehow I get the feeling that the balance was made considering player controlled vehicle/ship/plane coporation. I think it would be lot more balanced eventually, when players also get to control the tanks and ships and acctually hit something. Instead of the Stormtrooperlike aim the bots have now.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:19 am »
Anyone have the P47 and P51 yet? I'm almost Rank 7 with US now but I'm having doubts about it now. The 50 cal MGs don't feel up to snuff at all in arcade mode (though certainly a lot better than the Hurricanes/Spitfire MkI) and it seems like cannons are the way to go. With my airacobras it seems like the one cannon is the only thing that gives it a bite (no pun intended). Seems like the equivalent BF109s at R9 and R13 would outclass the P47 and P51s by far.. 6x 12.7mm versus 2x 13mm + 3x 30mm cannon with pretty much everything equal except the P51 has a bit more top speed.. I hate the P40 Kittyhawk and it has the same loadout as the P51 except with bombs and if the P51 is just a faster/better handling version of that then I don't think it's worth it. Other than the coolness factor it seems like US kind of sucks :?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:36:47 am by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline BD_SUPERBEAST

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warpigs_BD_Superbeast
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »
I kinda though like u bilwit,but now im rank almost 12 on usa and i have found the use of p47 after many fails. And kitty hawk its really cheap and has very good maneouver,high climb rate and ok machine guns(and u can use 3 bombs on it btw which always seems to sum up some lions in the end).I have taken lots of planes down with kitty on domination maps as u can fly over airfields and near enemy front lines and atract them out of the cluster and do the kills and assists if u can take  the back of planes instead of frontal charges(unless agasint low burst planes against which u can take some risks if needed, 3.64 kg burt its not a peashooter! :D). While it doesn not excel at any single thing over other high tier planes,its good at everything for a cheap cost.

Anyway the airacobras(all of them,from the lowest one to the rank 9 ones) are very good planes,and yes its cause of their cannons. They act really good as bomber hunters and kingcobra has 3 500lb bombs setup also.For some reason i like the rank 6 cobra that has the lowest top spped over the other lvl 6 oneƧ( what the hell: even over the rank 9 aira cobras... cause of the upkeepp/performance rate), ,but i like the looks of kingcobra and the others too,and its good to have some of them if not all to be able to repair them while u play with the others,not usuing autorepair.

The use of p47 in my opinion its a hybrid of fighter/bomber. So actually u can dive into ground targets(obviously better on maps like "two towns"), with 10 rockets and 3 bombs + machine gun and take out 10 or more ground obejctives in a single low and fast pass while ure  far from as weak as a bomber in terms of dogfighting and small plane fighting. Get out there,get high again, do some lonely plane hunting while u reload rockets and repeat. If u survive enough ull reload bombs at some point and rockets again and repeat.

The p47 lacks cannon but u can use rockets in frontal attacks(which are better to avoid with any plane btw),or to take out fast some big bombers which fly towards they ground objective already at same speed as u from shorter distances. I must agree that the time to repair the p47 and its upkeep cost its too high for what it can do on the air versus other "more agile" fighters of other countries,but its a fun choice to use sometimes.

P38 its not bad,but lacks maneouver. Being cheap in upkeep,very powerful engine and cannon+machine guns,lack maneouver,but its good in big open maps of bombing cause u can get fast anywhere as long as u do not lose inertia too much and u avoid dog fighting :).

Im looking to try b17 for bombing but still 1.2 lvls from it and using havoc at the moment with a very good crew i can reload 4x500lb bombs in 35 sec.If u manage to get to 4.5kmeter altitude or more ure mostly safe unless their fighters are bomber hunting( see like 2 enemy spitfires and a p39 flying at 3 kmeter altitude not a good sign :D). Over 5.3 kilometer altitude most AA will not even shoot u. (unless the ones placed at mountains etc cause they are higher).

Anyone else doing anything with catalinas btw? they seem totally free kills for me when they are in the enemy team or a "1 pass bomber"  or 2 at the most if i use em :(

Btw Buffalo F2,the lvl 2 one its surprisingly a great plane that lacks only a bit of cannon power cause u can get the back of anything in the game int terms of dogfighting....and its soooo cheap to repair....so fun to get 2 or 3 fills with it on a row gainst spitfires and yaks :DD and challenging!!!

Recently aquired the wildcat rank5 and seems to get better with a new engine(probably will be better whne i get air resistance) and acts alike the kitty hawk but with better turn rate. Cheap and good also.

Anything about crew builds? Im putting most points on G tolerance,reload speed,keen vision and visibility(which seems to act as a ninja cover if enemies planes dont have high keen vision). Some points at vitality and stamina cause they are cheap to get( 10 xp points till 40 or so) and u can get good bonuses when u train ur crews to basic and expert. This helps to get to basic and expert point faster even when im not sure about the utility of stamina and vitality here.

Lately i been putting points into repair rank and repair speed cause im not using autorepair anymore(got enough planes to play for some battles then let them repair em).

Thats about fighters, on bomber crews  i have put some points on gunners and got 2 expert gunners on havoc which they suck actually but sometimes they get some hits on planes while ure really busy diving down an objective and make tail hunters have to evade at least a bit and do not shoot u for free while u cant attend ur tail gunner cause u shooting or bombing something else.

What about u guys?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:25:26 pm by BD_SUPERBEAST »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »
I don't know man.. at Rank 6+ with UK you get two Beaufighters and the Spitfire MkII and beyond which all have 2 cannons..

The R1-5 US planes are a lot better than the UK ones but from then on it just doesn't seem worth it :?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:19:13 pm by bilwit »

Offline BD_SUPERBEAST

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warpigs_BD_Superbeast
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:35 pm »
Yeah i just played usa cause i started with it unnoticedly,just went fast on a battle saw i had xp then started to look in research and lvl a bit then i was stuck on lvl 5 planes and already having lots of fun so i said,bah im not gona grind another country just cause they have better planes(see ussr xD),this is already enough fun. So im just sticking to it till i get b17 which doesnt seem too good anyway,but i just want to fly a big bomber sometimes and its faster than grinding 10 lvls on another nation from 0 rank with 0 experience crews XD

Also when i looked into research of usa nation i saw they had the P47, which was the starrinf of the mythical arcade machine "p-47 thunderbolt" which i loved,so i just kept playing till i got it  :rolleyes:

If this game keeps going for long maybe ill look for another country,but i dont have time for em all for the moment :))

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 12:19:27 am »
lol I just did a Historical Battle and the other team had 2 jets (migs) while our team was like 90% Airacobras and Kittyhawks and they killed everyone except 2 of us between the two of them. Completely mopped us up with no chance. Jets have no place in this game.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:53 am »
lol I just did a Historical Battle and the other team had 2 jets (migs) while our team was like 90% Airacobras and Kittyhawks and they killed everyone except 2 of us between the two of them. Completely mopped us up with no chance. Jets have no place in this game.

Yeah.. as I said before I really don't play WW2 flying games to fight with jets, lol, yes they existed, but it always feels boring and cheap as hell.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 10:19:13 am »
Good menus. Good controller setup. OK GFX. Shitty sounds.

Arcade is a complete joke designed for non joystick casuals.
Realistic is close to a joke.
Full Real is dead.

Game lasted exactly 1. 5 hours on my hard drive since it has NOTHING over modded IL2 1946 plus they want you to pay loads.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:53 pm »
Yeah.. as I said before I really don't play WW2 flying games to fight with jets, lol, yes they existed, but it always feels boring and cheap as hell.

They existed but they weren't particularly useful and the ME-262 is the only one that should be used. From everything I've read they were good as interceptors, but due to their short fuel range were rubbish for pretty much everything else. And they were very very late to the war. So yeah it's a bit disappointing that they should be in the game on regular modes. I think they should maybe be limited to a historical game mode.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 02:28:53 am »
Arcade is a complete joke designed for non joystick casuals.

I knew there must have been a reason why it's called "arcade" :rolleyes:

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 11:46:14 am »
US is completely nerfed. The only good planes available were used by the USSR more than the US during the war (Airacobra/Kingcobra). Coincidence? I had a Beaufighter Mk X right on my tail while turning hard left for 4 rotations and he out-turned me the entire way and blew me out of the sky. Unbelievable.

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 293
  • Infamy: 19
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wataga
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 01:10:30 pm »
Oh, come on, Buffalo, Corsair and Kittyhawk are really good, much better than USSR planes on same levels. Well, except La, which is also cheating plane, but not better than 12 lvl Corsair.
Ofc, I'm talking about Historical Battles. In arcade all planes fly similarly and the most important thing - cannons.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2013, 04:39:30 pm »
My favourite part about the russian dev bias is the sound effects, the cannon on my spitfires sounds like rusty old peashooters, the cannons I heard on the Yak 9T sounded like godhammers, lol.