Author Topic: Essay about gameplay mechanics - read only if really interested in balancing!  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
If every step adds more to the stock (+20, +30, +40...) it's exponential. If every step adds the same to the stock (+10, +10, +10...) it's linear. You don't really need an exponent, the Σ is already enough.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
My mistake, then.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
No problem, this whole math thing is really confusing. That's why I terminated my economics studies. I was sick of it, everything was only about formulas, graphs, derivatives, balances and whatnot.  :rolleyes:

Now I am gonna study either game design (hope I can afford it, only private universities offer this  :? ) or history. If you consider that my first attempt to study something was arts, I am either a person with manifold interests or I just don't know what I want  :lol:

In my OP you can still see the imprints of my economics studies, with al lthe graphs, limits, potentials and shit  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:42:44 pm by Joker86 »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
+1
30,70,120,180... isn't exponential as you don't multiply by a constant to obtain the next value. It's not linear either. And afaik the formula isn't straightforward.

After some try an error, the effective formula of how much wpp a "n"th WM level will give is 5n²+25n

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
30,70,120,180... isn't exponential as you don't multiply by a constant to obtain the next value. It's not linear either. And afaik the formula isn't straightforward.

After some try an error, the effective formula of how much wpp a "n"th WM level will give is 5n²+25n

5n²+25n is a classical exponential function of 2nd degree, I think. It's like ax²+bx+c with c=0.

But come on, don't let us argue about math, I was assuming that everything which is not linear is exponential in a way, how you call it is in fact totally irrelevant, main thing is you know now what I meant.  :mrgreen:

We can have either 10 wealth points added per prosperity point, or (prosperity*5) points added per level. However you call this mathematically  :lol:

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Essay about gameplay mechanics - read only if really interested in balancing!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 10:35:51 pm »
Anyone understand what Joker was trying to say (the graphs are confusing as fuck)?  Are his complaints still relevant 2.5 years later?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Essay about gameplay mechanics - read only if really interested in balancing!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 12:46:20 am »
Most of his points are in the summary at the bottom. The marketplace by itself completely messes everything up.

I joined the game a few months later, but from what I understand, players were stuck at a limited equipment range implicitly because of the upkeep system, and could only improve by the slow progression by their attributes and in-game skill. Not many players could afford equipment that was too expensive. He proposed tying in what equipment you can wear with a wealth attribute stat, and completely rework the multi and upkeep system to something more reasonable that revolves around his proposed system.

Right now, his complaints are only relevant in the broad sense of character development. The situation we have now is similar to the old problems we had before (almost unlimited equipment, people mostly just leveling up/grinding). Even so, at the base level, I somewhat disagree with the linear relationship between equipment price and effectiveness.

The heirloom system combined with the marketplace, armory, and valor system now affects the progression of this equipment axis. Respeccing + marketplace also guarantees that you don't need to fully give up your character attributes, too. Nowadays, most people can live with any preferred +3 set, and people are free to level as much as they can. People are close to their ideal setups, so build and skill differences are the only differences with not much development left.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 03:31:20 pm »
didn't read but +1 to Joker for effort
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »
+1
Anyone understand what Joker was trying to say (the graphs are confusing as fuck)?  Are his complaints still relevant 2.5 years later?

More than ever. Upkeep is a total failure and heirlooms could be so much better. But I guess that doesn't matter any more.