Author Topic: About Downloading Maps...  (Read 253 times)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
About Downloading Maps...
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »
... well, something that is bugging me.
It is very good that there are many new maps made.
But I suggest that they are released grouped in updates that have to be downloaded on the character page (just needs a system to tell if your installation is out of date) and disable warbands autodownload. It affects perfomance badly if many people are downloading a new map ... usually the server is dead after that happens. I don't know, but if there are 5 people downloading a map that everyone else has it maybe causes lagspikes and bugs for other players? Also I've several times downloaded a map I have already played on (for small fixes I guess - but it's the full map each time), or got broken maps. I don't have this problem on other mods, where maps are downloaded with the other files.
Disadvantages would be ofc getting maps not updated so fast, but in the last time countless playtime spent waiting for me or others finishing their download has been more annoying me actually.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: About Downloading Maps...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:35 pm »
I don't know if this is possible. The game probably uses a file with map descriptors. If you want to circumvent auto-update, you probably need to edit this file after having copied the map in the right location.

So it's not worth the overhead in my opinion.