Author Topic: Bodkin vs Tatar  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Tacoshack

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brinox
Bodkin vs Tatar
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:33 pm »
Im thinking of switching to an archer next gen and id like to know which arrow is overall better. I know they do different types  of damage, but im having a hard time deciding which one to choose

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Bodkin vs Tatar
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:10:15 am »
I'm not an expert archer but on my alt I prefer bodkins.
It's basically damage vs more ammo. 

What I was told was that if you are pretty good at making headshots, go with Tatar because you'll do tons of damage with the HSs and have more ammo. If you are mediocre and end up with pretty much all body/limb shots, go with bodkins.

It's also personal preference. Personally I don't mind having less arrows because I'm pretty good at picking up arrows and with my build/load out I don't mind resorting to melee sometimes.

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:27 am »
Tatars are better against really low armored targets, where bodkin against better armor. try use a damage calculator, like crpg new calc, dunno if it is up to date though and see at what armor value bodkin becomes the better choice, maybe the tatar are better if you go against other archers or skirmishers, but i think everyone else has >50 armor where the bodkin is better.

Ive played archer for 1 gen, so i might be wrong.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:55 am »
Tatars are better against really low armored targets, where bodkin against better armor.

This is a good point too.

Offline Tacoshack

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brinox
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:27 am »
Thanks for the feedback i think i might go bodkin because of all the str crutchers. Im going an 18/18 balanced build with a horn bow if that matters

Offline ObiWanKejoshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kejoshi, ObiWanKejoshi, Speedy_Kejoshi
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:52:47 am »
Somewhere around 40 or 45 armour Bodkins start being more effective than Tatars.

You should also keep in mind that Bodkins have 1 less weight, which is especially important if you're going to use 2 stacks of arrows. A second bag or lower tier arrows can really slow you down now.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 01:19:18 am »
If above post is true people shouldnt even bother using tatars as everyone crutches 60+ body armor.
I use tatars though, but im a poor scrub.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:47 am »
+1
Tatars are almost as good as bodkins, and you have more of them. They are really good for killing horses (it really helps your team if you kill 2 or 3 horses in one round and gives you tons of points). They are really good for killing archers and low armoured agi runners like ninjas.

I'm using Tatars all the time and it's also not so hard to kill plated guys with them. They are also keepng your upkeep on lower level :)
Archer forever :D

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:33 am »
Tatars are almost as good as bodkins, and you have more of them. They are really good for killing horses (it really helps your team if you kill 2 or 3 horses in one round and gives you tons of points). They are really good for killing archers and low armoured agi runners like ninjas.

I'm using Tatars all the time and it's also not so hard to kill plated guys with them. They are also keepng your upkeep on lower level :)
but doesnt your longbow make the cut damage do pierce? (idk, im archer noob :P)
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:05:18 am »
but doesnt your longbow make the cut damage do pierce? (idk, im archer noob :P)
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=equipshop&cat=bow

Nope, sure doesn't. Bodkins are the only way to convert that cut damage to pierce. And since everyone and their brother are loomed to the max it seems like you may as well use those bodkins.

Somewhere around 40 or 45 armour Bodkins start being more effective than Tatars.
Especially since this is apparently the tipping point.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:17 am »
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=equipshop&cat=bow

Nope, sure doesn't. Bodkins are the only way to convert that cut damage to pierce. And since everyone and their brother are loomed to the max it seems like you may as well use those bodkins.
Especially since this is apparently the tipping point.
yep, bodkins it is, up ntil now ive only killed peasants or by headshot.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:53:13 am »
I have played 18/21 and 24/12 archer builds before, with bodkins and tatars. Using a longbow and tatars will let you shred other archers, horses, and light mail infantry. You can drop many players in a single body hit. However, if you are facing someone in higher mail or plate, tatars are a poor choice.

Bodkins are lighter to equip, and you don't need to scan the battlefield for an appropriate target. You can fire on any enemy you see and be guaranteed to do some damage. The upkeep is steep, but as an archer your armor equip cost should stay low enough to balance it out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:16:08 pm »
MW long bow and MW tatars are able to one body shot only some pesants and agi runners in rags. Ninjas mostly surive 1 arrow, byt after that archer is able to kill them with 1 or 2 hits with 0ps with poor side weapon :D (i made few kill like that yesterday)

If you see a robocop guy in a short distance you can say fu**, aim for his head and pray to whatever you want :D

Standard robocop is dying in max 5 bodyshots in combination I wrote above, but there can be exeptions (for ex if every arrow hits arms)
Archer forever :D

Offline donib

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow money, slow problems
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Donib
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:17 am »
+1
Its a shame the game doesn't have a functionality to actually switch between ammo types if you carry 2 different types. Simply pressing x when wielding a bow and having the two arrow types sounds easy to me.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:11:16 pm »
agi runners like ninjas.

Don't be hatin man D:

When I was an archer a long while ago I'd shoot horses primarily so I had tatars due to more ammo.