Author Topic: DTV: The Blocking Bots  (Read 3338 times)

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: DTV: The Blocking Bots
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:56 pm »
+1
I repeat that I doubt it's intended for average teams to get above that, good teams barely ever even get past those guys with xbows, the only teams that ever get past Engineers are people who abuse how shit the bots and the dtv maps function, and fuck cheaters.

Actually I think it's more of an unintented consequence of the change from defend the village to virgin and the fact that after that major overhaul all development on the mode stopped. In any case my point wasn't that DTV is already extremely unbalanced, but rather that making bots block properly will make it even worse. Rather than have the devs overhaul the mode completely, which they probably aren't going to do anyway, since they've said they stopped all development on it, I'd suggest just reducing the amount of bots by say 1 to 3 depending on player number or Phew's suggestion to reduce their ranged accuracy, just to stop the unbalance from becoming even worse.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 06:41:57 pm »
+3
Would be cool if the bots had the same tactical group AI as in some SP mod of Warband : being able to retreat, form up, split, charge, hold, etc...

This would really give a proper feeling of "defending" and not just "herding" those waves of stupid bots.

It would certainly require the bots to be less numerous (like maybe a ratio of 1 human 1 bot ?), and making them able to block all directions is enough to legitimize a decrease of their numbers too (put it on EU plx!).

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 06:53:54 pm »
+2
Would be cool if the bots had the same tactical group AI as in some SP mod of Warband : being able to retreat, form up, split, charge, hold, etc...

This would really give a proper feeling of "defending" and not just "herding" those waves of stupid bots.

It would certainly require the bots to be less numerous (like maybe a ratio of 1 human 1 bot ?), and making them able to block all directions is enough to legitimize a decrease of their numbers too (put it on EU plx!).
Pretty sure in native the bots only gather up in formations if they got a living leader, would be awesome if they implemented something like that, maybe make it only one wave and then have them walking in a somewhat decent formation until the boss dies at which point they all charge/retreat.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 08:40:45 pm »
+9
They're too evolved now. And we still fool ourselves thinking we're their superiors. Let me tell you something, when I first started initiating contact with these creatures, it stood pretty clear that their main objective in their short lives were to be attacking a village. However it didnt take long before they realized their mistake, and started dedicating their lives for girls instead. And now you're telling me they're learning how to block?!?

(click to show/hide)
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 08:46:55 pm »
+3
NA is higher skilled than EU and thus the bots need that buff there.

Not sure, afterall this NA person had 1 encounter with proper blocking and it confused him to the degree where he felt the need to make a thread about it.
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »
Not sure, afterall this NA person had 1 encounter with proper blocking and it confused him to the degree where he felt the need to make a thread about it.
Saulcanner could kick every Euros ass if they had an equal ping, even with the 120+ he got on EU_3 he could still kill 90% of the Euretards.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »
+1

Obviously Paul is fucking around.  I hate playing DTV on EU or NA 7, the HRE server usually has good people on it though.

There's been exceptions, I've been on NA7 before with a full server and we were consistently getting to the crossbow class
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 09:19:38 pm »
Saulcanner could kick every Euros ass if they had an equal ping, even with the 120+ he got on EU_3 he could still kill 90% of the Euretards.

Wait, DTV bots now block like Saul? God help us...

Offline BenonKnight

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 6
  • Hannibal ante portas!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hannibal_of_Carthage
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »
+1

Watch out guys we have fanboy over there. I have to check it. Hope will catch him and see his awesomeness.

the only teams that ever get past Engineers are people who abuse how shit the bots and the dtv maps function, and fuck cheaters.

How do you know? 1 I was in team which without any glitch, shieldwall or cheat almost beat sexies 3rd wave. I mean we were fighting in open field. We could win if not headshots. 2 I was in team which won using shieldwall. I bet there were better scores than those 2.

I think the addition of block ability for bots is good idea. Sure, it will be harder but not so brainless. Now its just like LMB spam for some people. When bots will block, it will become more interesting. Maybe noone will reach tincans. So what? Earlier waves will be enough fun.
"I will either find a way, or make one."-
                                                      Hannibal

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »
+4
The fun part of DTV for me has always been bot herding and out smarting the terribad AI. It's not fun to fight peasants, bandits, nomads only to wipe and repeat every round and every map. You all rationalize it by saying "oh but they're just blocking" and that would be fine except for one thing. Native AI bots do not know how to fear. They don't know how to be afraid. If they could fear then you could split them and rout them; divide and conquer. But when you're facing a wall of heavily armored, super powered (don't forget that the bots have crazy high stats) tin cans who cannot understand pain or terror there is very little even a crack-team of our very best can do.
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 10:34:44 pm »
Native AI bots do not know how to fear. They don't know how to be afraid. If they could fear then you could split them and rout them; divide and conquer.
In native singleplayer battle you could do that, just sayin'.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:22 pm »
Proven Point
Don't forget with those redonkulous builds, they also like to pile on on one person. Like a swarm of locusts.

Maybe the code for the gamemode could be released and someone else work on it?
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 04:53:27 am »
+2
You want to know what will happen if bots will become able to block? Just go and take a look at NordInvasion  :D

People there aren't crying because of bots being able to block, chamber, feint so fast that even Phase would faint from the speed, they just use an old, forgotten in cRPG and apparently WORKING strategy: TEAMWORK.

There are no solo heroes there, even guys with best equipment, highest level and helluva-long range weapons eventually need to cooperate with other players to succeed. One thing that DTV and NI have in common, is that reward depends on survivability of players and teamwork (I know NI rewards more for kills, but still)

You want to dominate in DTV? Keep bots on range, don't let them attack you at once (keep them in line, for example), have a long weapon and hard-hitting build.
You want to dominate in NordInvasion? Work together with other players, build barricades, TEAMWAAK :D

So, if you'd ever consider improving DTV again, give us some barricades and, if you could, make bots able to attack them, instead of just ignoring and getting stuck. Would be lovely :)
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 05:15:30 am »
Umm it's not like we keep beating the game mode. Why don't you just go ahead and change them back to SUCKY BLOCKING please.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:02 am »
+4
You want to know what will happen if bots will become able to block? Just go and take a look at NordInvasion  :D

People there aren't crying because of bots being able to block, chamber, feint so fast that even Phase would faint from the speed, they just use an old, forgotten in cRPG and apparently WORKING strategy: TEAMWORK.

There are no solo heroes there, even guys with best equipment, highest level and helluva-long range weapons eventually need to cooperate with other players to succeed. One thing that DTV and NI have in common, is that reward depends on survivability of players and teamwork (I know NI rewards more for kills, but still)

You want to dominate in DTV? Keep bots on range, don't let them attack you at once (keep them in line, for example), have a long weapon and hard-hitting build.
You want to dominate in NordInvasion? Work together with other players, build barricades, TEAMWAAK :D

So, if you'd ever consider improving DTV again, give us some barricades and, if you could, make bots able to attack them, instead of just ignoring and getting stuck. Would be lovely :)
TL;DR:
LET US USE THE GODDAMN BADASS CATAPULTS AND SHIT THAT YOU MADE FOR THIS MOD!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia