Author Topic: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong  (Read 6771 times)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
Re: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2012, 03:16:04 am »
+3
I agree with your gameplay philosophy Smooth, though I must say old cRPG was a fucking unbalanced grindfest of proportions significant enough to prompt daily bouts of anal bleeding.

Regarding Thine Philosophy
The things that one might associate with Strategus now are those that, I think, should be brought back to battle and siege. Creativity, player-driven, cooperation, sandbox, fun, competitive, high risk-reward (for a video game...related to competitive), epic.

When the ebb and flow of a game is dependent on the players, rather than map design and gameplay limitations, I think that that game (if it is a multiplayer one) becomes something wondrous!

I think that part of Battle's kinda boring repetitiveness comes from the lack of shit that you can do. Your goal is simple: kill all of the other team's players. That's fine--lots of room for Creative Solutions (TM). However the tools you're given for that task get boring fast. The number of weapons and classes are pretty much limited. The maps don't change. The rounds are short. You can't build shit.

The two biggest issues, I think, are:
a) You can't build shit. The bestest player-driven games I've played have often included the ability to build shit during the game. Star Wars Combine is a simulation that's all about building shit on planets or asteroids (and trade, and interactions); Natural Selection allowed the commander to build where, when, and what he or she wanted--the players had to build the shit up, and defend it, and attack the other team's shit; Empires was like Natural Selection: a commander built shit for his team. I played Empire Earth because the "Diplomacy" mode allowed players to war with whom they wanted, build where/what they wanted, and--if they wanted to--just sit back and build a pretty, gay city. My point is that built entities allow the players to alter the map in fun and unique ways, making the game much more dynamic. Let players build shit, while keeping balance in mind (maybe switch "attackers" and "defending" teams up, to prevent camping.
b) Rounds vs Deathmatch. The current system of Rounds means that everything has to happen within maybe five minutes. Otherwise, players sitting in their chairs start to get fucking bored. Make the Battle a deathmatch mode, with timed rounds that are long enough. Give players enough time to fucking get some creative, fun shit done.
Deathmatch and object-based gameplay usually go hand in hand, however it might be worth it to just try regular Deathmatch for a while, and simply give the players the ability to build and do fun shit at first. You can add objectives later.

TL;DR: READ THE BOLD AND ITALICS. chadz, let us build shit, and give us the time to build shit. Add other things, liek classes or weapons, after this necessary step.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2012, 07:17:44 am »
This is basically what I said, but Tiberius did not understand.
....ohhh really? What Yach said acctually made sense and was wise, what you posted was different........example:
(click to show/hide)

Looking back at that post there were quite many who didnt understand what you mean. I posted the exact reply to it. Next time make your point more clear and dont call others fools when you have issues speaking your mind in words too big for you.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:21:07 am by TiberiusX »

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:45 am »
+1
Proximity xp was brilliant. I have no idea why they ever got rid of that. It was the simplest way to force people to fight in groups and it fucked over any ranged players that took up perches miles away. Proximity xp made playing as a peasant a lot of fun too. There use to be tactics to being a peasant like wearing clothing that made you look like anything but a peasant and then there were also slick players that would purposely dress like a peasant to lure it retards looking for an easy kill haha.

I think the most fun I had was when we created a ninja turtle clan. We dumped everything into shield skill, held up inside small buildings, and inconvenienced people by hugging them with our shields so they couldn't swing. Sometimes we would get put on separate teams and the game would be to some how get to the safety of the turtles on the other team without their team killing you.

Before they took out ladders another fun game to play was lemmings on Siege. The point of the game was to create a great ladder bridge to the flag that all your teammates want to use.

Eh, forgot to mention throwing. I understand the first nerf, I mean everyone was carrying throwing weapons but I thought the second nerf was excessive. There is just no way to have a pure throwing build in the current game, especially if you play stratagus.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:39:08 am by Chestaclese »
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2012, 09:52:05 am »
I partially agree, partially disagree:

(click to show/hide)

Thanks for reading.

Ladderpaulting in battle as it was is basically teamkilling and griefing sure, but if you saw it go off perfectly placed (against the enemy team) at the start of a completely packed XP bridge map you would die in laugher just thinking about it.  It was so funny in its own wacky way I miss it terribly and if it could be re-enabled in a new gametype more conductive to building it would be great.  Ladders would have their place in modes that didn't come down to being last alive every 4 minutes though for sure.

Completely agree about battle.  Truthfully you guys did a fantastic job balancing battle for what it is, but in the process a lot of gold got thrown out with the trash.  Why I suggested a few times in the thread that an ideal way to bring back some of these trends and address these urges players get would be for a new game mode that had longer-lasting rounds and the full toolbox of construction sites and ladders enabled.  Possibly new additions as they are thought up.  I think Conquest type is a great fit for having a focus on battle and killing along with being able to build defenses, explore the map with buddies, not get raged at or banned for not being hellbent on killing with 15+ minute long maps.

I actually quite enjoy Battle when I play, but it simply doesn't hold a candle to Strategus battles in my experience.   The nature of a long map with lots of little victories or huge defeats, a focus on building and teamwork, respawns, some of the best maps in cRPG (some of the towns are brilliant and never get played), its all good stuff.  Too bad there's the rest of Strategus to deal with :(

With the creativity and talent some of the devs have though (see fucking Rageball, holy shit) I bet something even more unique could be coded if there was effort and time for it, but I'm at a loss of what.  Never got to play Stronghold, what I heard seemed rather complicated and obtuse though, but it seemed like an awesome idea at least.

With balance, I'm fine with the stats and have certainly lobbied to nerf plenty myself (compile items so poleaxe is nerfed already!).  More the issue here was nerfing gameplay in general with the mechanics changes.  Turn-rate was the most egregious.  Could be lame but more understandable if it was applied to certain weapons like pikes and mauls or whatever, but the way it was implemented is just really disappointing.  Most of us play cRPG cuz of the outstanding Warband engine, in a game maintained and balanced by active people who know what they're doing.  This basically gutted half the attack directions of EVERY weapon in the game, new thrust abuse mechanics cropped up, tons of popular weapons are almost unused, and its just sluggish and unfun to play.

I also kind of wish the leveling cap was softened.  Possibly XP gain just increased overall.  I like the game being balanced but level 30 for most players makes builds underpowered hybrids (unless cav or xbow) or cookie cutter templates of optimal power.  High levels and more skill points can fix these things but leveling is so outrageously slow past 31 and respecs so costly.  If people had more points to play with things would be more interesting.  Then again, OP builds would become optimal builds, and underpowered hybrids would remain relatively underpowered I suppose : \  But its worth mentioning that 30 soft cap is kind of dulling.

Compile items! :D
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »
+2
this thread is far to logical and thought out, what have you done with smoothrich, locked him up only to let loose on the diplomacy forums?
Turtles

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »
+1
this thread is far to logical and thought out, what have you done with smoothrich, locked him up only to let loose on the diplomacy forums?

As long as Canary is on vacation too/tired to check Diplomacy section. Diplomacy is the best sub-forums.

Oh and re-implement ladders now into Battle and/or Siege.

Most ones who voted yes to remove it are gone now or are busy spergin out in Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2 or some other game.

Just make a new poll and make it the final decision.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:37:23 pm by CountBerenger »

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2012, 04:04:24 pm »
yes bring back ladders!

PS Norules u werent there man, so shut up

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:25 pm »
+2
The timer at the top is the countdown to ladders being brought back.
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2012, 11:01:09 pm »
+2
bring conquest mooode :!:
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4