Author Topic: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2012, 09:42:21 pm »
+2
As a peasant :

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2012, 10:17:21 pm »
+7
People are getting way too hung up on a few examples that Smooth used and missing his actual point about emergent gameplay (which he has stated several times in subsequent posts, and which morons continue to ignore).  The discussion in this thread of old cRPG good/bad, griefing fun/unfun is so absurdly reductionist a response to the OP that my opinion of the general cRPG forum posters' intelligence has actually decreased, a phenomenon I hitherto thought impossible. 

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »
People are getting way too hung up on a few examples that Smooth used and missing his actual point about emergent gameplay (which he has stated several times in subsequent posts, and which morons continue to ignore).  The discussion in this thread of old cRPG good/bad, griefing fun/unfun is so absurdly reductionist a response to the OP that my opinion of the general cRPG forum posters' intelligence has actually decreased, a phenomenon I hitherto thought impossible.

We discuss what we think is wrong, and ignore what we agree about.

If you are shocked by this, you probably never had a conversation with a human being prior to this.

Offline Azlanek

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • The post is over to the left
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Khagataz, Azlanek
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2012, 10:45:16 pm »
We discuss what we think is wrong, and ignore what we agree about.

If you are shocked by this, you probably never had a conversation with a human being prior to this.

Letting the other person assume what you agree and don't agree with is not an efficient way of communicating with others. Taking others' needs, such as letting them know what you mean, is also a part of manners, which should be considered when making conversation with another. In not following them, you might risk angering the other person and drift the conversation from its original purpose.
The post is up there

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2012, 11:02:54 pm »
Naturally most of my friends immediately began thinking of ways to deceive and grief people in-game

We are what?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Azlanek

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • The post is over to the left
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Khagataz, Azlanek
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2012, 11:53:23 pm »

We are what?

Smoothrich was talking about a completely different game that has nothing to do with cRPG. Here, let me quote it for you:

I understand how that pertains to cRPG, but I think it's pretty funny recalling chadz's brief explanation of the concept for that space sandboxy game they were thinking about.  It was basically nothing but a template to grief.  Of course some people would play for the sake of building stuff and flying around or whatever with friends, but he talked a lot about permadeath and an open-ended style of playing.

Now in this light the statement suddenly makes more sense:

Naturally most of my friends immediately began thinking of ways to deceive and grief people in-game
The post is up there

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:11 am »
Smooth hits it all pretty much dead on and much more eloquently than I could.  The game had allure because it had so much sandbox potential, but it's suffered death by a thousand tiny nerfs.  A lot of people are starting to take a step back and see the move away from fun as a whole and are wondering why we still play.  I'm still finding gimmicks but the multi system killed things like roleplaying a farmer/ect because of "leeching".  I can barely be a pacifist anymore without people screaming for blood. 
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2012, 01:08:37 am »
Smoothrich was talking about a completely different game that has nothing to do with cRPG. Here, let me quote it for you:

Now in this light the statement suddenly makes more sense:

It illustrates a a major motivation for most of his friends. Deception and griefing. Many of the items he wants back were removed for that very reason.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2012, 01:12:09 am »
Letting the other person assume what you agree and don't agree with is not an efficient way of communicating with others. Taking others' needs, such as letting them know what you mean, is also a part of manners, which should be considered when making conversation with another. In not following them, you might risk angering the other person and drift the conversation from its original purpose.

I agree wholeheartedly, although what I depicted does happen very often on the internet, especially when there are dozens of people involved like in a forum.

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2012, 01:16:28 am »
+1
Maybe people would stop complaining if there were three set classes and only a small selection of weapon types for each.
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2012, 01:21:21 am »
+1
Smooth hits it all pretty much dead on and much more eloquently than I could.  The game had allure because it had so much sandbox potential, but it's suffered death by a thousand tiny nerfs.  A lot of people are starting to take a step back and see the move away from fun as a whole and are wondering why we still play.  I'm still finding gimmicks but the multi system killed things like roleplaying a farmer/ect because of "leeching".  I can barely be a pacifist anymore without people screaming for blood.

Maybe,  but to many of us its a competetive online pvp/deathmatch game. And the "sandbox" stuff ruins the experience.

I think this is a big divider in how the community percieve the game. And some are bound to be dissapointed no matter what.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2012, 01:23:38 am »
+2
Maybe people would stop complaining if there were three set classes and only a small selection of weapon types for each.
Only if the set classes changed depending on if which (in-game) team you were in. So Blue team has different class options than Red team etc.

Then we could make the teams culture based too! One being archer focus, another cavalry focused etc. This is genious!

Oh, but we would also have to limit the equipment people can spawn with. I say it should depend on how well you did the previous round.

(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2012, 01:24:53 am »
+1
Only if the set classes changed depending on if which (in-game) team you were in. So Blue team has different class options than Red team etc.

Then we could make the teams culture based too! One being archer focus, another cavalry focused etc. This is genious!

Oh, but we would also have to limit the equipment people can spawn with. I say it should depend on how well you did the previous round.

Sadly, that is the direction cRPG is heading since january 2011 and I'll keep ranting blah

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 01:46:24 am »
from someone who played since august 2010(the heirloom patch came like 1/2 months after I started playing the game)yeah battle was incredibly hilarious with a lot of different retarded builds and people trolling with a meta still not evolved(I remember when I was like a level 28 archer and I was still getting k/d of 3 becouse of the massive imbalance with ranged being retardedly strong and plates spam)
but I still think chadz managed to save this mod with the heirloom patch and 3 month later the upkeep patch/level31 "cap" giving this game an unexpected lenght in term of playtime(and hopefully this mod will stay alive until m&b2)so kudos to him
btw I re-found this while searching for old crpg vids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNOogINr7Eg

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2012, 02:40:45 am »

(click to show/hide)
but people will never stop complaining either :P I doubt it is even possible to balance an armory of this size to everyones liking..
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™