Author Topic: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »
+3
I never said I wanted old cRPG back.  I just want to see some things brought back in a new gametype or something so servers can feel more like sandboxes with more interesting gameplay then dumbed down battle mode.

Combat mechanic changes are almost across the board awful though, there is really no denying that and really not much of an excuse for the overhead turning nerf the way it was implemented, along with all of the earlier weapon activation times in general.  All things to force us to play the game in a way that the devs prefer, except it was done sloppily and awkwardly and removes a lot of control and intuitiveness with your character.  Just more ways to take control away from the player.  You will NOT spin while you swing!  You will NOT land those swings with teammates behind you!  You will NOT.. so on and so forth.  Just taking things away from the player in pursuit of a "vision" that turns most people off.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:43 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Ye, but sofar the only thing that sorta jumps away from the usual Warband/crpg/whateva tipe of battles in Warband has been the PW mod.....I think some combination of Crpg/PW could produce something damn epic that we urge for. Am I wrong?

Offline Azlanek

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • The post is over to the left
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Khagataz, Azlanek
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:32 pm »
I'm all for adding more resources for the player on a conquest/siege server.
The post is up there

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »
What some people really need to understand is that griefing and trolling is not something we want.
But since some people put their "fun" above that of the other players it's often necessary to take actions and make it impossible.

I kinda see the point of the thread when it comes to building stuff in battle and siege but the rest looks like everything between early 2011 and now is completely forgotten and it's just the usual good memory about something that in reality was much worse back then.

Personally I don't really play games longer than a week or two before they bore me so c-rpg for sure was an exception and would probably still be if I had the time to game but over time people just grow tiered of the same thing over and over and I highly doubt ladders and buffs would change that.

I'm all for giving you guys the old crpg like last xmas and everyone who enjoyed that can go back to it, not that it was any less of a grind or anything.
Also much much worse for new players.

That.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
+8
I thought the game was strongest with the first major WSE release.  The game was so fresh and new that we somehow forgave the terrible mechanics.  Remember overheads through teammates?  Terrible.  When they managed to remove it, it showed me that they really do have the best of the community in mind.

Its hard to please everybody.  Here I am the wednesday morning after christmas, lobbying for a weaponmaster buff to a game I haven't played in weeks.  I played with a 1 hand sword the other day after not playing for weeks - the overhead swing felt fine to me all the sudden.  I remember day 1 of the spin nerf, I was actually cheering, because it made sense in my head.  I pulled out the bill and went 15-1 the very first map I played.  Some fog cleared in my rage-filled head that was like... hey this isn't so bad.  Then I got shot with an arbalest.  Then I quit, haha.  Its just funny to me because I actually want the arbalest to get buffed too.

Though everyone is going to have different opinions on past versions of the mod vs. the current version, you bring up the single most important point that I absolutely have to agree with.  Some new life needs to be pumped in to it - not through balance changes - not through buffs or nerfs, but something that makes us say "I want to play cRPG tonight".  Something that creates a memorable time.  Absolutely not a revert to the old days, but something that creates a great deal of freedom.

I played xmasrpg last year.  God, it was awful.  Things were indeed much much worse than they were today.  Ladders were terrible always, which is my major complaint about the way strategus sieges are now too.  But I do admit, I played 10 times the amount of siege back then, and had the time of my life, not really worrying about multis even though they existed.  I liked the old armor soak values and hunting goretooth.  Glancing off armor sucked, but you shouldn't be able to left swing black plate with a scottish sword effortlessly, and I felt my high pierce weapon had its place.  Heavy armor is still effective though, with healthy amounts of STR and ironflesh.  Many mechanics did just feel that much more intuitive - even goring my teammates' faces with the backswing on the english bill, and constantly getting hung up on walls with it on my first gen really added immersion in the most backwards way.  As disgusting as my playstyle was pre-spin-nerf, not everyone used the swiss halberd or english bill - but they existed, and they were respected (by most haha).

100% support for conquest mode.  Strategus should be played by the community as a whole too, instead of stepping on toes and S'ing people's D's.  The game is in a good spot, we just need to move forward and breathe some life into it.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »
remove the cavfest thats on eu1 now

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2012, 10:52:03 pm »
I got around halfway through.
So you came to play a game, where killing the other team is the objective, to goof off and build stupid crap?
Garry's Mod.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2012, 11:27:07 pm »
+1
It's Christmas time for fucks sake, do you guys have nothing better to do than write big essays about the state of a mod?

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »
It's Christmas time for fucks sake, do you guys have nothing better to do than write big essays about the state of a mod?

You must be new here, dude

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »
Nah, I've been here years.

But do these peeps not have families/wives/friends/girlfriends?

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2012, 11:42:31 pm »
+1
Nah, I've been here years.

But do these peeps not have families/wives/friends/girlfriends?
>Addicted to an online game
>Having families/wives/friends/girlfriends

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 12:09:27 am »
cRPG is more broken than ever.

With the old goofy weapon values and ballistic max wpf everyone was on an even playing field. There was never a single player who couldn't be 1 hit at any moment this made the game far more arcade and strangely enough reduced rage.

At the moment some obscene game "balance" has been implemented. Buffing longswords and bastard swords to a point at which they are unblockable when used by a good player is not fair. 1H bouncing inappropriately is also very unfair. Polearm and 2H being forced to strafe their opponents constantly to get maximum damage and speed just looks silly. 

chadz and the devs are on a vendetta against cRPG AUS that's for sure. When I come up against an average player I know im going to win and I know when I come up against a guy like kadeth that i'm going to lose. You take a look at every single successful skill based game franchise there isn't one in which the "little guy" has no chance at all.

I don't mind block stun, OP kicks and strength whoring. I hate the fact that cRPG aus is lucky to get 12 players and North America with some of the worst players in the world gets 60+  players every day.  The reason we struggle is not the size of our warband community its the skill level. We need a game that allows decent players to take on good ones and bad players to contribute at all. Its time to normalize strength and agility and make a game where every player can find a niche so that they can contribute.

Also archery sucks dick, without loomed gear its the shittest thing ever at a low level (maybe a new player) you are shooting feathers. Being forced into investing well over 135wpf in one skill restricts the amount of potential builds for archers immensely. Not being able to go 3 PD athletics archer due to arrow weight is shit. Bodkins being the only useful arrow is also a pain in the dick.

Horse archery is completely useless and spears ha what a joke i haven't seen a 1 on 1 spear kill in Australia for 6 months.

In a game with so many potential classes why make so few playable and useful. I see so many new guys come online and say I want to be ranger or a knight. Having to tell them that they cant afford to wear good armour and that they have to grind for 50 hours to be able to afford it is the saddest thing in the world. Explaining to them that if they split wpf they wont be able to shoot or fight and that they need to have at least 5PD to even damage most players is even worse.

The only reason I still play this shit is because I haven't found anything else.

Fuck you cRPG, fuck you. No other game has been designed so well to kill its community.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:39 am »
+3
looms matter way, way too much

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:51 am »
+9
chadz and the devs are on a vendetta against cRPG AUS that's for sure.

No other game has been designed so well to kill its community.

Not well enough, apparently.