Author Topic: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:37:02 am »
+39
I think people talk about how they are nostalgic for old cRPG and how now its just a nerfed Native port very often and it is pretty accurate. The dev team seems to idolize and respect some elements of game design that enable players to be creative and make their own game, basically creating the tools and handing them to the players and hoping them the best.  This is what Strategus essentially is, and what the old space game idea for P. Asinus sounded like.  Thing is, you guys basically had this going in old cRPG, and I've seen it creep up whenever opportunities for it were available in the game.  Yet devs have gone out of their way to find these and completely remove them whenever possible, much to the detriment of the game and its appeal. 

Battle is pretty boring now but it used to be a ghetto sandbox to do all sorts of memorable, awesome shit in. Ladderpaulting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqMnNJzHrI), ridiculous builds, comical amounts of plate, awesome weapons, the dynamically hilarious metagame of peasants hiding in areas of a map so when you broke through the front lines in full plate you got to find a hut teeming with cowering peasants and slaughter them all.

Since then they just slowly turned it into a Native port with nerfed everything.  Playing on Battle is usually boring and often frustrating unless you are cav, ranged, or an unusually skilled 2handed player in full looms with a level 32+ build who manages to avoid cav and ranged for the first minutes of the battle (like me.)

Battle now is all based on a multi system with a chance of valor.  Its okay but your only reward is a 4x becoming 5x, and there is really nothing to do besides kill. Any effort to play the game in another way besides TDM over a stupid multi will result in rage or bans, and eventual complete overhauls by the dev team to patch things out.

Core cRPG gameplay has basically been reduced to that empty kind of reward, a multi that most people only pretend to give a shit about.  The gameplay itself is fun, but it has been made less and less engaging for some deliberate reason.  I find Strategus more engaging due to not only funny politics, ability to screw people over with the overworld's gameplay, customizing your armies, and the fundamental gameplay of teamwork, the stories of how a battle went down, every push or takeover of a rooftop has its own little narrative to the larger battle.. it simply presses a lot more buttons then cRPG on its own does.  I think a ton of this could translate to a Conquest mode for simply better gameplay with objectives to fulfill, but that is still just part of the broader picture.

Biggest problem by far in my eyes was all the balance attempts to "fix Warband" but jamming it all into the shit Battle mode of Warband, the soulless type of mode that wasn't even that good in the late 90s with Counter-Strike, and is extremely outdated.  Old cRPG had tons of flavor and life to it that managed to be hilarious past the shitty game type we played it in, but every patch has been trying to close the lid on personal flavor and creativity and make things more streamlined.

I don't really understand why that became the mission statement of cRPG.  "Native with nerfs." That's what it is now, instead of this half MMO, half dynamic griefing/trolling, all excellent combat game it used to be.

You used to watch 200 players cram into a shitty looking bridge on a map because everyone wanted to be as close as possible to get the most XP.  Then some genious saw these tight packed crowd, and the ladder mechanics the devs had to "expand gameplay" by getting onto roofs and stuff.  All of a sudden, you have an amazingly overpowered, fucking hilarious weapon that would launch 20+ people across the map to their deaths. This would make you rage if you got caught, be the best feeling in the world if you got a perfect ladderpault, became part of the strategy of the game, and then eventually got completely removed.

That's what you guys need to bring back, this mod is probably too far gone, and any and all new modes (Conquest, Rush, whatever you have in store) will certainly be improvements. But don't lose sight of what you guys managed to capture for about a year, that so many players were willing to put up with all the grindy bullshitty OP ranged bad maps whatever elements to enjoy.

I think chadz and friends have an idea about this, as Strategus is basically an open world facebook game that allows you to grief and screw other people over, and chadz is definitely a fan of this kind of gameplay from his original ideas about the space game in project asinus.  Whatever you guys are working on now, it is crucial to get some of those "emergent gaming" possibilities back into it.  Allow and encourage players, groups of friends, whatever to build shit together, perhaps significantly alter the map.  Back in the day people in cRPG figured out how funny it was to spam siege equipment in camping spots and stand there every round and people went with them, creating hilarious forts.

This playstyle was forgotten about until ATS brought it back on NA, when forward spawns and weapon racks let them build custom forts with unlimited throwing ammo in funny places from ladder placement and fight to the death.  People who did this got ban polled, screenshotted, tk'd, and eventually you guys went so far as to try to remove this choice in the first place, so it goes back to a more streamlined and frankly boring experience.

Fact was that was a group of friends thinking outside the box with a limited amount of sandboxy tools they had to do hilarious, memorable things that had resonating effects on people.  Of course the reaction was usually rage at "being griefed" and it got stamped out, but it was a good example of a design principle that should be embraced rather then frowned upon.

Imagine how much more fun the game would be if battle mode was 30 minutes long, maybe even hours long until a reset, and there was no winning or losing after one team is dead, letting you respawn.
A bunch of people can choose to camp part of a map and build fortifications, then defend it like it was the Alamo for the entire map, while other players can just joust each other as cav in the plains while respawning.  Peasants have menial shitty jobs but still get paid for the map and will inevitably be slaughtered over and over by the knights.  More of that sandbox feel that cRPG used to have, that gave it a soul and personality instead of a simple deathmatch.

I think Conquest mode really could accomplish a lot with the current structure of cRPG and fixing many problems.  You could have much longer rounds, a purpose to build with construction sites and lock down areas, take creative approaches to defending or attacking places, more teamwork, a more compelling game experience in general instead of generic battle gameplay of cookie cutter builds mashing at each other.  A chance to step back from the boring slot limitations, recycled native gameplay, get people to do new things  I talked a LOT about it in a thread I made, and it recieved overwhelming praise and excitement.  http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/conquest-gametype-combine-strategus-siege-and-battle-into-1-bad-assed-mode/

I think a lot of these ideas are being explored for future development and maybe the team's next game, I'm not exactly sure.  But there were so many things in cRPG's history that captured this idea of enabling the players to make their own game and play their own way that usually had hilarious effects, and the dev team here has systematically stamped out every single one of them except in Strategus. And what do you guys have there now.  People working to devise rules that anything remotely outside-the-box is "against the rules" because it makes people upset and cry about how some battles are not exactly identical to every other one.  Because some people think boring, formulaic gameplay with no new ideas is easier to win in, I guess.  But it is most definitely not more fun to play.

If anyone has some stories about things you or your friends have done or seen in cRPG or Strat, old versions or new versions, that were unique or funny or outside the box, even if people would call it exploiting and want you banned, I'd like people to share them. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:17:53 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: cRPG and Emergent Gaming (And Fun): Where It Went Wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
(click to show/hide)

I remember .210,  :( , IMO i dont really know what this mod is anymore its half rpg half semi-realistic medieval combat simulator derpaherpderp, it was better when it had its own quirks (ladders, etc), it seems atm this mod only caters to MELEEHEROrealismcreww, which is honestly not that large part of the mod playerbase, judging by serverpop these days..

Balance is good but nerfing everything to smithereens is not, should rollback the turningrate nerf,archerry nerf, and bring back ladders!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:51:34 am by pingpong »

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:44:29 am »
ok give me some time will ya :P

edit: disagree
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:49:53 am by no_rules_just_play »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:31:11 am »
+7
Yep. Heh i already complained about the direction of it like January or so 2011 shortly after the big change patch.

Now it's just. ''New nerfs/removal of in-game feature, even more slowing down of combat-speed? Meh...''.

Offline fosr

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Eucliwood Hellscythe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:43:42 am »
+2
6 months ago,i only playing DTV,and even today...
I experienced happy 6 Generation. :)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
+13
6 months ago,i only playing DTV,and even today...
I experienced happy 6 Generation. :)

DTV is a good mode.  I think LLJK, a large clan of players I used to help lead, were some of the pioneers of how to play it.  There were only 2-3 maps to start, and no virgin, it was "Defend the Village."  People fought in the open, were rather uncoordinated, died in the first few waves.

Once our clan started all joining the server together, we explored the maps and found ideal chokepoints.  We started making shield walls 3-6 men across, tasked with having as many Huscarls or Board shields as possible.  We had 2handers, glaives, pikes, all sorts of support attacking through the gaps in our shield wall, mowing down wave after wave of bots.  Our ranged spread out behind us on elevation and picked people apart as well.

Some EU admins and devs saw us playing like this once, on a map that had several chokepoints that we had to reform and respond to and they were very impressed with our coordination, said we were the only guys they saw playing it like this.  Before long, this mode basically turned into "300:  The Game" and even all pub servers turned into coordinated fighting formations, something you never see in cRPG, where shield walls with long support in the back got to show how effective they can be against attacking hordes.

SO WHAT DID THE DEVS DO YOU WONDER?

Completely fucking reworked the mode, renamed it defend the virgin, added tons of shit maps to it, and took away the ability to fight  in formation like this.  All you can depend on is getting a bugged map with fences to funnel people in and hope the virgin doesn't get sniped, instead of letting the players dictate the pace and location of the fighting.

Perfect example of what I mean here.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:13:05 pm »
cant say i agree with a few of your opinions.

Firstly ladderpulting was used almost exclusivly to team kill and not used as a valid tactic to hurt the enemies at all.
Secondly defend the village was always full of team work on eu it wasnt just pubs running around on idiots. it got changed due to maps like arena being impossible to lose :D

It seems to me that all the things you enjoyed and want back in the game are all the things used to grief/troll, Stronghold mode would be nice but your "creative ways" to defend spots are no doubt just ways to troll/grief/abuse something :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »
+8
Smoothrich be Smoothriching. You got points, but I'm not at all with you about the ladder business.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »
All i read in the first half: Old fart whining about the good old days...

I do like the part about conquest mode, but other than that this seems like a "it used to be good but now the m0d is dead" post in disguise.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 12:32:23 pm »
+7
Let the old cRPG rest in Piece. Would be fun again but not for long. All the changes were good and cRPG is far better today than ever! And much better than native.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:00 pm »
+6
Let the old cRPG rest in Piece. Would be fun again but not for long. All the changes were good and cRPG is far better today than ever! And much better than native.

Amen to that.

I'd say 2 weeks of the old crpg and 90% of the community would beg the devs to go back to this state.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:56 pm »
+6
I mostly like the changes except the direct changes to combat that only slowed it down. If you visited Native recently you'll notice how much more fluid, smooth and faster Native is. cRPG feels like someone put additional weight on every action/move compared to it.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
so as i understand you are mad because the devs brought a little fun in the game by making it a little bit more challenging and by taking away all the unrealistic nonsense that was only used for teamkilling and camping? You are saying the game is only fun when you are lvl 32 with max looms, but im pretty sure that i can has double as much fun as you without, its just that you only want a game where you just walk over peasants and where it is super easy to walk around in tincan armor?

Offline autobus

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 598
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade "Black Tea"
  • Game nicks: Autobus, Shushu, Samodur
  • IRC nick: Autobus
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
+16
(click to show/hide)
never forget

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 12:40:01 pm »
+4
All i read in the first half: Old fart whining about the good old days...

I do like the part about conquest mode, but other than that this seems like a "it used to be good but now the m0d is dead" post in disguise.

Not really, its about design philosophy and what makes a game good, and how much should be a controlled environment by the devs and how much space should be allowed for the players.  I think subsequent changes in the game have just made it a rehashed clone of Native with nerfs, and sometimes the community itself punishes people who get creative by making them get tk'd or banned or otherwise griefed, with Battle squeezed dry of any "outside the box" fun it used to have.

I feel like too much was taken from the player in the attempt to make the game more "streamlined" for an audience that doesn't really exist, and wanted to highlight some things that used to be unique and fun about the mod.  Also how the urge for some players to build with ladders, siege sites, camp, all things that get you trolled and banned out of battle would be great in a mode with long lasting rounds like Conquest, where all the interesting construction shit we have could be put to good use and create a more care-free environment. 

I mean, Stronghold mode which I never played seemed to be heavily influenced by the idea of letting people build their own sandboxy type thing in a long lasting round, instead of the repetitive Battle gameplay.  That seems to be a dead gametype, but it has really strong concepts that should be worked back in somehow.