Poll

Is it alright to TK an ally who reports you because you hit him?

Yes
15 (12.4%)
No
102 (84.3%)
Other - please elaborate in comment
4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Your thoughts on reporting TKs and on people who TK reporters  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Your thoughts on reporting TKs and on people who TK reporters
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »
Recently I was playing on EU 2 on one of my "light" alts when Varadin_HRE (Who was on my team mind you) hit me twice while we were trying to kill an opponent. I reported him because of two things.
1. He was too greedy and kept getting in the way which resulted in both of us being killed - IMO he made a terrible ally and because he got both of us killed I concluded that he was a liability to the team, and an expendable one at that.
2. He hit me. I think it is perfectly fair to report an ally of yours when they hit you, because unless they are planning to hit you or another ally an additional 4 times then they've got no problems. To me, reporting people is telling them to watch out but to a great many people it is an inexcusable insult. I find this very odd, so I'd like to hear what you all think. Why have this feature if you're not allowed to use it?

This is only half of the issue though, because as soon as I reported Varadin he struck me another two times (He'd have kept it going had I not died there) even though there were no enemies in sight. This is my main issue. He intentionally TKed an ally because said ally had reported him for being reckless and ruthless. I then went on to make a kick-poll but it didn't get through because of the many HRE members on at the time I suppose.

Is it really fair to TK an ally because he reported you for having hit him? Let me hear your honest thoughts and opinions.

Somehow I feel there are things you carefully avoided to say

Scratch that, this is the "tell in which situations you report people" thread
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:36:02 pm by Kafein »

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »
+1
I try to avoid reporting people unless they are intentionally trying to kill me, which is rare because I don't tend to piss off that many people on my team. Although, I have reported team-wounders whose wound broke my block and led to my death, but even that isn't fair of me.

As for teamkilling, I think that it is always incredibly unessecary.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 08:02:25 pm »
reportin archers shooting into melee all day 'err day

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »
As an admin I can say that the report function causes more work that it is worth. Its too abusable for trolls, and the community has incorrect views on its use. If some absoloute noob teamhits you, its tempting to report, but the report is for INTENTIONAL TKS. It is not a OMG THAT GUYS IS NOOB report. It gets misused, people get offended, and I have to ban 2 people for teamkilling and cursing; both of whom proclaim themselves entirely innocent according to 'their views' on how the report button should be utilised.

People will always use it to vent rage, so it should therefore be removed, as it causes more problems than it solves.

Also, on the subject of Varadin:

Here's the section to deal with people like that.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1128
  • Infamy: 2550
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »
+3
but the report is for INTENTIONAL TKS. It is not a OMG THAT GUYS IS NOOB report.

That's your opinion. And it has nothing to do with being an admin. Admins should punish people who grief, mild trolling isn't problematic (unless it leads to serious insults and teamkilling). But if a player (Corsair for example) decides to report everyone who teamhits him, it is his right to do so. No one has right to be mad about it. I wish press M was automatic feature, many people would become careful players.

I don't report that much, even tho I wear light armor and have low HP.

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:19 pm »
+1
but the report is for INTENTIONAL TKS. It is not a OMG THAT GUYS IS NOOB report.
That's your opinion. And it has nothing to do with being an admin.

My interpretation is that it's there to warn others that they're being reckless. Ally teamhit you several times in a battle? Use the M key to warn them so that they know to settle down. Blatant teamhitting/killing? Tell an admin, have them kicked.

While on the topic, what about when a match gets to that state where there's 1 person hiding and 24 people still alive. I know some admins *cough*granpappy*cough* get seriously pissed off when they see people having little team-duels. Why isn't this okay? Yeah, I know, duel server. But seriously, sometimes I see the person running off on a mountainside and there's a horde of people already chasing him. Even if he miraculously kills everyone, I'm not going to the outer edges of the map to find him, I'll sit my happy ass down and wait for flags. That's why flags exist.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1208
  • Infamy: 537
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »
+1
^Exactly.

But I think I understand what is Muffin's problem with it. Few days ago, some dude was punching me (having some fun I guess), and I didn't report him. However I think he punched some new player too who reported every time... and Ujin thought some teamkilling was going on based on those reports.

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 09:20:49 pm »
The message that comes up it ' player X has teamhit you, press M to report if you think it was intentional'. Its not the exact quote, but thats what it says essentially. Show me the part where it says, press M if this player is being reckless'. There shouldnt be interpretation of the meaning of this sentence, it states very clearly under what circumstances you are supposed to report.

Anyway, I digress, people will do what they want until it is removed.
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1410
  • Infamy: 607
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:26 pm »
+1
If they remove it, there will be just more complains in the spirit of admins doing nothing :P

It does admin's job most of the time, don't understand why you want it removed.

Edit: Also, have you ever been kicked because of it?

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »
+1
Intentional? I think if you choose to spam your weapon with no regard for teammates, it is report worthy whether or not it was an "accident."

Now, being a spearman, my FAVORITE are the people who see me fighting someone and get in my way. Now, I am not saying that I have full control over each and every fight. But as I spearman I need a gap between me and the enemy. A gap that mindless teammates LOVE filling up, and thus getting teamhit and raging.

IMO, if it TRULY was an accident, you should have nothing to worry about. You need to go full retard 4 more times to actually get kicked. That is VERY hard to do. I teamhit all day as a spearman because it's hard to read the dancing teammates everywhere and I have never been kicked for TK's. Maybe once or twice in defend the virgin when people intentionally would jump in front...

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »
I want it removed because in practise it actually creates more conflict than it solves. It is rare for someone to actually be kicked by it, and it causes alot of friction between people, as well as being exploitable by trolls.

No I have never been kicked by it because for me it goes 5/5, 6/5, 7/5 etc, I tested it when the feature came out.

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:43 pm »
I want it removed because in practise it actually creates more conflict than it solves. It is rare for someone to actually be kicked by it, and it causes alot of friction between people, as well as being exploitable by trolls.

No I have never been kicked by it because for me it goes 5/5, 6/5, 7/5 etc, I tested it when the feature came out.

Intentional teamwounding, ban him.

Jokes aside, if it's not fixing the problems, then it the system doesn't work.

I don't want it removed, I want more proactive admins to kick those who are intentionally teamwounding, and the use of M to be more widespeadly known as what I think of it; a warning to others to be more cautious.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 11:59:45 pm »
I have yet to use my "m" button.

I haven't had any issues with tkers or twers (intentional anyway). If you do then press m and go with it while taking screenshots. If someone's twing you, they're prob twing other people as well so they'll press m and maybe take screenshots too.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 12:29:28 am »
+1
As an admin I can say that the report function causes more work that it is worth. Its too abusable for trolls, and the community has incorrect views on its use. If some absoloute noob teamhits you, its tempting to report, but the report is for INTENTIONAL TKS. It is not a OMG THAT GUYS IS NOOB report.
Which is stupid, cause as far as I know this is how intentional tk's should be dealt with

Here's the section to deal with people like that.

It's not like pressing M is going to stop an intentional TK'er, seeing as he can hit you 4 times and not get kicked, provided that you actually manage to press M for each and every hit. Even then a kick is not going to worry him much. Bottomline, if that is the true purpose of the M system, it is fucking useless. That is why people ascribe an actually useful role to it, educating reckless retards. Which is effective, as getting M'ed probably leads a lot of people to be more careful with their swings. I feel like the devs are satisfied with the way it is being used, cause they must be fully aware that it would not harm any actual intentional tk'ers. My bet is they just knew that putting 'Press M if your teammate was not careful enough' would be too confusing.

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 12:35:17 am »
+1
who TK an ally who reports you should be banned.

BTW, it would be cool to have a second option to report the number of th inflicted on the same player and it was limited to 2 more th after the first reported.

However, it's would be also nice if people read the chat before reporting someone which just write sorry in the chat..

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.