Author Topic: [Suggestions] First things... last?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Zaharist

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
[Suggestions] First things... last?
« on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:43 am »
+11

Hey everyone!

First of all I would like to ask you to forgive me my pure language skills. I wish I could speak english fluently and write understandable grammatically correct sentences, I should've learned better at school %) I will try to do my best, please try not to be too grammarchocolate chip cookie.
Thank you in advance! ;)

This thread is all about my personal thoughts about strat development and expresses my personal opinion. I can be absolutely wrong, that's ok ;)

I think we are going in wrong direction since the end of first strat.

What made strat2,3,4 boring comparing to first strat?
They had the same scenario, same roles and same participants. UIF - antiUIF.
Small factions have no chances to settle down without "permission" or protection, no faction can survive alone, big factions (with adequate leaders) are overpowered etc.

What changed since Strat1?
Fixed numerous exploits, changed local fief micromanagement, added and then changed several times economy, battle management changes etc
Are these things really first to do?

IMO first thing that should be implemented in Strat is GLOBAL faction management.
Diplomacy should be in-game, not forum.
Factions should have bonuses/disadvantages according to their diplomacy (agreements, wars..), political system, size, number of fiefs, village-town-castle ratio, number of players.
Factions' fiefs should have global parameters like loyalty, rebellion chance, distance from capital.

(click to show/hide)

Global faction management should solve current problems like:
1. Forming enormous alliances. Should be useless.
2. Managing big faction should be difficult
3. Small factions should have a chance to play on par with bigger ones.
4. Faction should be encouraged to play actively, making more "concentrated" wars (short duration, large number of battles), more diplomacy
5. Make multiaccaunting almost useless

Example of how it should work:
(click to show/hide)

In conclusion I would like to thank chadz and devs for their great work and with them patience and inspiration to overcome current mod's crisis.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Igni et ferro

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
Re: [Suggestions] First things... last?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:47 am »
the only way to make strat playable for smaller clans is to ban UIF.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:45:51 am »
+2
grammarchocolate chip cookie.

I hate that type of cookie
Pock gobblers

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:56:43 am »
+1
the only way to make strat playable for smaller clans is to ban UIF Eastern.
Fixed that for you, UIF stopped playing, now we just got one carebear bloc left.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:07:30 am »
+1
You make a lot of good points, even some new ones noone though of.

But the "strat boring coz big block" argument cant work and will never work : human works like this, they try to win and its easier to win when you outnumber the opponent. If you try to put less incentive into building alliances, then the game will just become a "who got the most members in THEIR faction" instead of "who got the most members in THEIR coalition"; still the same shit.

If Strat 4 last until summer 2013, I guarantee you that UIF - anti-UIF will have mostly stopped and new wars will sprout between old alliances members. At least I hope there will be some chaos at some point because it would be indeed boring if not.

Also, just one point you made that is not accurate : managing a big faction IS harder. Not by gameplay rules but because it is VERY HARD to manage so many players, so a growing % of them will do random things, get out of control, and spiral down to death at some point. Or at least drop in average efficiency.

Very very big factions cant use all their formidable power with one mind because they need too much organisation and discipline, so I think this point is already set.

Look at how Druzhina completely overwhelmed defenses from south to north in one big push. People look at armies inside fiefs and are afraid, but do you really think they will all react swiftly and accordingly to the threat ? Human weakness permit all kind of badass thing in strat :)

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:30:21 am »
+2
In strat 1 everyone entered as neutral. During strat 1 alliences were formed.
The fact that strat 2-3-4 started with alliences has nothing to do with the game mechanics, its just that factions got to know eachother, decided who they like/ disliked and allied accordingly.

Edit: Doesn't mean i don't like a good diplomatic system in strat though...

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:47:33 pm »
+1
Edit: Doesn't mean i don't like a good diplomatic system in strat though...

I do, its called FUCK OFF diplomacy. It was the best diplomacy ever, no trickery, no alliance, no lies, no backstabbing none.

now we just got one carebear bloc left.

Eastern block already said that it will quit the alliance when UIF is no more, UIF is not no more : changing the color doesn't make you neutral.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 05:54:00 pm »
+1
Agreed with Haboe, Strat 1 diplomatic relations were a blank slate, except perhaps for some very lowgrade rivalry between Mercs and Templars. Every following Strat version was based on and reinforced all the relations that were established during the first one. I think the breakdown into two massive coalitions (with the occasional 3rd party clans that have no much weight) was inevitable. Think 2 party system in politics.

Having the entire diplomatic system ingame would be a little restictive I think, but having it at least somewhat represented sounds like a good thing. Not quite sure what the best way to implement it would be however.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 06:08:24 pm »
+2
the only way to make strat playable for smaller clans is to ban Panos.

P.S. We could always unban him anyway :)

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:08:47 pm »
Eastern block already said that it will quit the alliance when UIF is no more, UIF is not no more : changing the color doesn't make you neutral.
If Coalition splits up into several smaller clans and mercs split into mercs and deserters and the cold front alliance splits up and the crusader alliance splits up and all those groups actually split up and not just unofficially do it but still sit around carebearing then I'll personally apologize for my hate against every faction involved in Eastern, however I somehow have gotten a suspicion that things will go down in a quite different way. Also, while UIF still is around they still all sorta stopped playing.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
If Coalition splits up into several smaller clans and mercs split into mercs and deserters and the cold front alliance splits up and the crusader alliance splits up and all those groups actually split up and not just unofficially do it but still sit around carebearing then I'll personally apologize for my hate against every faction involved in Eastern, however I somehow have gotten a suspicion that things will go down in a quite different way. Also, while UIF still is around they still all sorta stopped playing.

No need to apologize but you must understand that you are working for the first ever easy mode block, EB is just a counterweight. UIF has to apologize for breaking the game and smearing the poop all over it. What we supposed to do? just fight each other so UIF can destroy each one of us once again and claim superiority?

Harpag himself had nerve to go to some eastern block alliance leaders to suggest joining forces to destroy Mercs, well he got the answer and he got the picture. Kinngrimm and Rogue knows we will fight them when its time, thats when game returns to its normal state. But I'm afraid, this would only mean serving butter on UIF's bread.

UIF made the first unfair mega alliance, how about Grey Order fight Druzhina and Eastern Block fight each other on their roster? that would be the first step of showing the good will for the sake of the game and I'm ready to sign whatever they want to prove I wouldn't take advantage of the situation.

All I want "everyone" to have fun, not a just a group of people. But to make it possible UIF has to get rid off that "doing anything for victory" mentality. We don't need rules or restrictions or complex plans to maintain the balance, just few clan leaders willing to accept the fact that we owe an apology to the game itself for ruining it.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 08:59:08 pm »
+1
No need to apologize but you must understand that you are working for the first ever easy mode block, EB is just a counterweight. UIF has to apologize for breaking the game and smearing the poop all over it. What we supposed to do? just fight each other so UIF can destroy each one of us once again and claim superiority?
I serve no one but the holy goat, I've also spent more troops against UIF than I have against Eastern.
Harpag himself had nerve to go to some eastern block alliance leaders to suggest joining forces to destroy Mercs, well he got the answer and he got the picture. Kinngrimm and Rogue knows we will fight them when its time, thats when game returns to its normal state. But I'm afraid, this would only mean serving butter on UIF's bread.
One Eastern clan that will kick out deserters (will you even do that?) and then start fighting the other eastern clans doesn't stop the remaining Eastern from standing, it doesn't stop the coalition from existing either.
UIF made the first unfair mega alliance, how about Grey Order fight Druzhina and Eastern Block fight each other on their roster? that would be the first step of showing the good will for the sake of the game and I'm ready to sign whatever they want to prove I wouldn't take advantage of the situation.
I'm aware of that.
All I want "everyone" to have fun, not a just a group of people. But to make it possible UIF has to get rid off that "doing anything for victory" mentality. We don't need rules or restrictions or complex plans to maintain the balance, just few clan leaders willing to accept the fact that we owe an apology to the game itself for ruining it.
Agreed, but Eastern has to get rid of the "do anything to beat UIF" mentality just as much as UIF has to stop their gay bullshit.

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 09:09:13 pm »
As I said, we will not stop until UIF is no more, but that shouldn't mean no more DRZ, no more Empire, no more Union, no more Grey Order etc. No, I want them to remain in the game and I want their players as well as their leaders to have fun. Just don't ruin the shit anymore and call it "diplomatic success" its just being opportunistic.

Mercs are ready to fight anyone in the name of fun even friendly manners. But until the situation is provided, no we don't trust these guys, none of us and earning our trust is simple, nobody has to lick our asses, just respect the game and be yourself.

Offline Zaharist

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »
+2

In strat 1 everyone entered as neutral. During strat 1 alliences were formed.
The fact that strat 2-3-4 started with alliences has nothing to do with the game mechanics, its just that factions got to know eachother, decided who they like/ disliked and allied accordingly.

But the "strat boring coz big block" argument cant work and will never work : human works like this, they try to win and its easier to win when you outnumber the opponent. If you try to put less incentive into building alliances, then the game will just become a "who got the most members in THEIR faction" instead of "who got the most members in THEIR coalition"; still the same shit.

I agree with you both, but

I am talking about ingame system that will nullify carebearing.

Can you imagine 40ppl faction (twice smaller then Grey, Druzhina or Union) successfully attacking anyone of these 3 factions in beginning of 4th strat?
I guess not. Cause other 2 will help with troops, gold, equip, roster etc.

now imagine: 40pplFaction declares war on Druzhina. Druzhina suffer losses in economy (being "at war" reduces trading efficiency, overall faction wealth and prosperity) and suffers from increased rebellion. "System" helps smaller aggressor, giving him slight chance to conquer 1-2 fiefs or at least spoil Druzhina's blood.
Old friends can only say: guys, we wish you good luck. Cause they can't transfer troops (they need to be in war alliance to allow troops' tranfers, being in war alliance automatically make them "at war" too with all it's disadvantages. Do they need it? Definitely not, not against twice smaller faction), they can't transfer equip free (system allows only trading between different factions, each item has it's basic price which grows significantly if faction is at war), they can't help with roster (before battle sides should choose factions they would like to hire for their side. the only condition is that overall number of players in chosen factions should not be greater then xxx.)

what I am trying to say is that we need a ingame system balancing gameplay, giving some odds to smaller fiefless factions, nullifying carebear blocks.
Igni et ferro

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 10:46:26 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

or you can make a defense pact instead of 4 strat long alliance, for example there was a blood feud between templars and mercs in strat 1. HRE attacked Mercs in strat 2. Mercs and Fallen never trusted each other till Strat 4...goes on

Just don't carry your past alliances to the next round. You know if DRZ got attacked by 400 clan you could hire Mercs to deal with it and Mercs could buy the service of someone else...its that simple actually