Author Topic: 1h Stab still a viable attack?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
1h Stab still a viable attack?
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
+7
Just want to put the question out there to the community about 1h stab animation.

I use a regular espada, 102 speed sword with 6wm and it seems that every other weapon type can still stab faster than I can with my 1h sword.

It seems to me that since 1h stab really is the gimpest attack in that in has the highest chance of glancing, I feel that the extra "length" it gets from the attack really isn't worth the huge speed hit.

Comments?

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: 1h Stab still a viable attack?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:07:46 pm »
+7
It's viable, but it's probably the weakest animation ingame.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:21 pm »
It's a stretch to land and doesn't really do damage unless you have a considerable speed bonus. With the turn speed bonus nerfed, this attack seems more like a gimmick attack more than a threat in the 1her's arsenal. The overhand attacks tend to not land when they should as well, making the 1h a left swing/right swing weapon as a whole. I don't know what could be done to help the 1h stab, but it feels like a new animation (which has been hinted at being in  the works), or a straight up damage or speed stat buff would help.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:44:54 am »
+1
It glances too much, leaving you exposed. I prefer a sword without a thrust now, so that I'm not stupid enough to try one. But I still do the almost as stupid to attempt overhand too  :oops: I try to use them mainly when flanked by teammates.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:43:07 am »
1h stab is a very viable attack and the most powerful attack with the best animation, in my opinion.

Oh, we're not talking about mounted 1h stab? Ignore what I wrote, the stab when on foot is shait.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dalfador

• Marshall
  • Renown: 898
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the White Stallion
  • Game nicks: Dalfador
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 03:50:14 am »
maybe you're just trying it with the wrong weapon, try 1 hand stabbing with a side sword, that gets shit done. does as much damage as a war spear.

Maybe some day they'll call us heroes.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:49:00 am »
+5
It does good damage when it doesn't glance. But unfortunately, it glances very often, if you don't have a masterwork weapon and high STR/PS character.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:21 am »
+5
It's situational. It's good versus slower opponents, and against opponent who charge straight at you frequently. Against a faster opponent who strafes and moves away from you a lot, it's very risky. Prior to the turn rate nerf, it was good against pretty much everybody.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:47:50 am »
+2
I see some guys using it very efficient. Mostly on too fast engaging guys, stab in the face 1hit. Whenever I try it I'm dead however.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »
+7
Straight swords are the inferior 1h type IMO. They do weak damage because it's cut anyway, none of them is easily spammable like a niugaydao, and they don't have the false reach effect of spamtards. The only + of straight swords is the length, but those that are really long are so much lacking in speed it doesn't really matter unless you have good prediction skills. Buffing the 1h stab seems like a good idea to give them their central role back.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:05:40 pm »
Straight swords are the inferior 1h type IMO. They do weak damage because it's cut anyway, none of them is easily spammable like a liugaydao, and they don't have the false reach effect of spamtards. The only + of straight swords is the length, but those that are really long are so much lacking in speed it doesn't really matter unless you have good prediction skills. Buffing the 1h stab seems like a good idea to give them their central role back.

+1 and fixed.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 07:08:35 pm »
+2
One of the best follow up attacks after a successful hit, due to it's early connection.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:26:56 pm »
+2
I gave up using my Knightly arming sword for this very reason.  You're better off with an elite scimitar (same damage but 2 more speed and 2 less length) and it's cheaper.  Not to mention the nice ghost animations.

Otherwise I use a military pick (not too expensive, it's fast and longer than the steel pick)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:35:56 pm »
+1
Thrust seems to be most effective when enemy is on right side of your character. If you have them on the right and stars aligned it should insta stab and beat most other attacks. Also typically use thrust when ganking as it has the most reach withought hitting teammates. Most of the time its best to have a thrust chambered, use positioning and delayed attacks, than spamming it like a left swing. Basically treat it like a 1h polarm thrust.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »
Thrust seems to be most effective when enemy is on right side of your character.

QFT. Whenever I encounter a long espada swashbuckler or similar stabby 1h-er, I always strafe to my right (their left), because it seems like there is no way they can land a stab without glancing that way. Against other 1h-ers, you always want to do the opposite, strafe to your left so their left swings take forever to connect and their right swings glance, but thrusts are opposite.

The 1h thrust hitbox being waaaay off to the right of the actual animation is part of what makes 1h thrust so terrible.