Author Topic: Reverse overhead stun  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Reverse overhead stun
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:24:14 am »
+1
Okay, this little gem has got to go. This isn't some rare occurrence either.

Going up against a strength using polearm. Use footwork to get behind them. You've got them, right? Oh hell no. They simply overhead and stun you from behind and with a shield, you can't raise it before they spin around and left/right swing for the easy kill.

Strength already has superior advantage to agility in hp's and armor and athletics advantage has been reduced quite a bit. To give them a way to negate their mistake when they blow the positioning and allow an enemy player to get behind them is just bad for game balance.

TLDR; you shouldn't get a stun on a backswing.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse overhead stun
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:30:34 am »
Okay, this little gem has got to go. This isn't some rare occurrence either.

Going up against a strength using polearm. Use footwork to get behind them. You've got them, right? Oh hell no. They simply overhead and stun you from behind and with a shield, you can't raise it before they spin around and left/right swing for the easy kill.

Strength already has superior advantage to agility in hp's and armor and athletics advantage has been reduced quite a bit. To give them a way to negate their mistake when they blow the positioning and allow an enemy player to get behind them is just bad for game balance.

TLDR; you shouldn't get a stun on a backswing.

You will think I'm picking on you, but I honestly am not sure of what you describe. As shielder, you get behind a polearm guy, and because he does a overhead, you get stunned with the backswing ? I seldom experienced that, and anyway the ability to backswing is more of a problem for polearm users because they hit teammates all the time with it.

Anyway polearms need some fixes, right now with turning you can hit people all around you with a side swing no matter the angle, your position or theirs. Hence why a majority of polearmers just dance around barely noticing the enemies.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:41:54 am »
You will think I'm picking on you, but I honestly am not sure of what you describe. As shielder, you get behind a polearm guy, and because he does a overhead, you get stunned with the backswing ? I seldom experienced that, and anyway the ability to backswing is more of a problem for polearm users because they hit teammates all the time with it.

Anyway polearms need some fixes, right now with turning you can hit people all around you with a side swing no matter the angle, your position or theirs. Hence why a majority of polearmers just dance around barely noticing the enemies.

It happens whether you have a shield or not, but without a shield you can at least instantly block when they turn and R/L swing at you. With the shield delay, you simply don't have time after recovering from the stun effect. It is too slow. Even so, they shouldn't be getting a free stun by cocking their weapon in an overhead. (the backswing)
Typically you get behind them, prepare to slash their backside and whoops, you are stunned by their overhead swing being cocked back when they are facing away from you.
I believe it used to interrupt them, so they complained and now it stuns whoever is behind them, yes teammates included.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:35:31 am »
This is annoying as heck, and shouldn't damage teamates either. If you swung a long weapon and it connected with someone BEHIND you, you would lose your balance or drop the weapon. You wouldn't hoist their corpse over your head after slicing open their chest cavity and neck.

If it is possible, overhead 2h and polearms should bounce off all targets in the early part of the swing animation. Catching your overhead swing on a person behind you should be a big disadvantage, not a goofy physics-ignoring hit.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:30:06 am »
granpappy you've never done a gen of anything but archer and shielder and this thread shows it, close this thread and go play the ONE TRUE CLASS (2h)
FREE ALLERS

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:51:59 am »
granpappy you've never done a gen of anything but archer and shielder and this thread shows it, close this thread and go play the MOST ABUZABLE CLASS (2h)

now its better.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »
+1
Most of the time it bounces and annoys the guy doing the overhead (and can lead to his death if his enemy was swinging just after him).

When it teamhits/kills or hit/kill an enemy, its almost never done on purpose and is really a very small "skill" niche that cant really be exploited (except if you have eyes in your back).

Keep it as it is  :)

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »
granpappy you've never done a gen of anything but archer and shielder and this thread shows it, close this thread and go play the ONE TRUE CLASS (2h)

I played every class for at least 1 generation and settled on the ones that I prefer. Perhaps some of you 2H/Polearm Heroes should take that advice.  :idea:

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:51:52 pm »
+2
I don't think I have never noticed this as a one hander. I have noticed as a polearm that your overheads often get caught on shit behind you (usually teammates).Also, just to point out on an overhand a strength build and a balanced build have the same chance of weapon stun.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »
+4
Overheads getting caught on things way behind you is dumb for both parties involved.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »
Nah, keep it.

Sure it's kind of annoying getting stuck on stuff behind you, but I've seen some people use it purposefully against me which is really cool.

No need to remove more stuff from combat.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 11:54:07 pm »
I'm happy with the status quo.  I find pole-arm players are the easiest to fight as a shielder unless they have an axe.  Most often, they compensate for their moderate reach and lack of protection with heavy armour and low athletics.  This gives me a significant mobility edge.  Given my advantage, I'm okay with looking out of the occasional backswing from an otherwise not-very-challenging opponent.  I would prefer that it didn't do very much damage but that seems to be the case anyway (from my experience - other's may be more familiar with it than I am).

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »
+1
Overheads already carry too high of a risk due to:
-Turn rate nerf makes them hard to land
-Most weapon types have a longer delay on overhead than sideswings
-Inability to turn into your swing to hit faster
-Possibility to catch on a teammate/wall behind you

The reward? You are somewhat more likely to hit the head, although everyone has gotten pretty good at hitting the head with sideswings now.

I think the mechanics need to change to make overheads a more desirable option (also 1h right swing/thrust and polearm left swing need to be improved). Duel server is an endless stream of 2h sideswings for a reason.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 03:02:48 pm »
The reward? You are somewhat more likely to hit the head, although everyone has gotten pretty good at hitting the head with sideswings now.

Everyone said it since turn nerf :rolleyes: this topic should be renamed "reverse turn nerf patch" :twisted: